Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #61
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
And they don't take an hour to shut down or boot up. Now, 7 improved that a lot, but still.
Hate 7 with a passion. It fucking sucks....
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #62
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
People who lay bricks, and clean pools probably don't need a Mac (unless they just want a quiet, reliable computer).
Have you heard a business grade Dell lately? You won't, because they're virtually silent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Hate 7 with a passion. It fucking sucks....
Actually 7 is fine. It's like a thoroughly patched and fixed Vista. Trouble is that all of the PC manufacturers want to throw the 64 bit version at you, with all the attendant compatibility issues.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #63
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
I think the only software you need in law school is a word processor and Google.
Well I think its just word processor and internet access. And thats the thing. I can pretty much do anything they need to do on in Law school on my Blackberry. But they use Macs. I think the two main reasons are image and the second is it isn't their money.

When the netbook motherboard died my brother decided to try a Mac. He used friends Macs and decided to buy one. He likes it but doesn't love it. He hates that they dumb down the OS. Some things he used to do with a PC are made to be next to imposable to do unless you have a lot of knowledge on how they are set up.

I still can't get into them. They don't impress me at all. I still think they are too expensive for what they are. The laptop shells look pretty good but I'm not a fan of the keys. The fact that the keys are lighted I do like.

One thing I will say about the Law students using the Mac and not needing it is I'm all for getting what you want/like. I didn't need an R6 but thats what I wanted.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #64
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Apple has always been very good at locking down university deals. I don't think it's an image thing.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #65
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
And they don't take an hour to shut down or boot up. Now, 7 improved that a lot, but still.
Take an hour to shut down? My mother is using my old shop computer. I closed the shop at least 3 years ago. I think we are going on 4 years. The shop was open for 3 years. So its a 7 year old computer. It can shut down and restart in about 15-30 seconds.

James
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Old 04-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #66
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
Take an hour to shut down? My mother is using my old shop computer. I closed the shop at least 3 years ago. I think we are going on 4 years. The shop was open for 3 years. So its a 7 year old computer. It can shut down and restart in about 15-30 seconds.

James
Don't load up a bunch of crap and you don't have to wait. That simple concept seems to elude most people

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #67
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Apple has always been very good at locking down university deals. I don't think it's an image thing.
It has nothing to do with with a University deal as far as I know. These are not supplied by the University.

My old business partner went to a school that was all on computer. You had to get a computer from there to go. From what I remember the computer was giving to them. Anyway I don't know what they have now but it was a Toshiba.

And yes it is an image thing for most of them.

James
Old 04-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #68
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Don't load up a bunch of crap and you don't have to wait. That simple concept seems to elude most people
My desktop is about 6 months older then the one mom is using because I bought it for the shop but decided to keep it and buy another one for the shop when it opened. I didn't have an external for the longest time and my computer got so bad it did take an hour to shut down and start up. My brother stopped over one day to use my printer and it was one of the few times that my computer was shut off. He said next time he was tossing it out of the window. I told him to wait in line.

One thing my brother said in the first 2-4 weeks of owning the Mac was that it didn't seem as fast as the day he bought it. He wasn't impressed with that.

James
Old 04-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #69
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
It has nothing to do with with a University deal as far as I know. These are not supplied by the University.

My old business partner went to a school that was all on computer. You had to get a computer from there to go. From what I remember the computer was giving to them. Anyway I don't know what they have now but it was a Toshiba.

And yes it is an image thing for most of them.

James
So a law student who's already racking up 60-100K in debt is going to decide to buy Apple just because of its image. Maybe for some, but I doubt that is the biggest reason.

First, law students aren't like most of you guys. Most of them don't dick around with computers. They're not self-taught handymen. They don't know how to install cards or upgrade anything. They don't re-root their Android phone. Not would it be a good use of their time. They just want stuff that works.

Second, with regards to laptops - Seems like most others are thick & heavy, or look like a 1980's Cylon fighter. And what about customer service and accessories?

Last edited by Homeslice; 04-26-2011 at 01:24 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #70
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Fonts.

Most people don't realize it's the single largest boot load, time-wise.

The primary reason for why systems take long to boot is from loading too many fonts.

People who have never loaded a graphics program have much slimmer systems. These programs tend to load over 100 fonts.