Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #61
Cruzergirl
Its a good day.

Moto: Victory Kingpin Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
If I want to have my eyes fixed, I need to stop researching. Horror stories, everywhere.

Sounds like PRK has higher incidences of corneal hazing and infection and not as high a success rate of vision correction as Lasik. There have also been millions and millions of Lasik procedures performed versus just a few hundred thousand PRK (even though PRK is actually the older procedure).

I'm getting estimates for PRK three times the price of what I almost paid for Lasik.
I know lots of people who got PRK and have terrific vision. Me. I won the PRK lottery (in reverse). One eye actually got worse than before the surgery. But that is pretty rare and I would still recommend this to anyone.
Cruzergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:03 PM   #62
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

I had both done at the same time. I highly recommend that for PRK because the recovery is such a bitch. You don't want to go through it twice. PRK was 600 cheaper for me too.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #63
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i

I had Lasik done, about 2.5 months ago now and it was the best thing I have ever done. My vision was roughly 20/450 in one and about 20/300 in the other. I couldn't see my alarm clock on the night stand while laying in bed, I bought one of those projection alarm clocks to put on the ceiling, and with 2' numbers I still couldn't read it. I've been in glasses and contacts since I was a kid, so I finally just grew tired of it one day and started looking into it.

I had Custom Lasik done on a Friday, and the next day for the check up appointment I drove myself to the office. Both eyes were done at the same time, and didn't have any problems at the surgery. The only area of concern for me was the fact that I've got a scar on my cornea from an eye surgery a few years back were they had to remove a piece of metal embeded in my eye. The laser used to cut the cornea would not have been able to scan that area, and perhaps not do a proper cut. Only side effects I've had were dry eyes, that was for about a month and a half (eye drops about 5-6 times a day), and now I just carry Visine with me if working in dusty areas. I use drops maybe twice a day, and riding hasn't really bothered me yet. Halos at night were there for about a month after the surgery and haven't had a problem with them since.

I went back from another checkup a couple weeks ago, and both my eyes were 20/15, and I could make out a few of the letters on the 20/10 chart.

It took me about 5 years to finally work up the nerve to do it, even my younger brother had it done 2 years ago, and I still couldn't make myself do it. After its been said and done, I am glad I did. I paid about 1700 per eye.

If you have any questions just ask away.
Hydrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:15 PM   #64
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiergirl View Post
I would make an appointment and talk to a professional about it before you make a decision based of what you are reading on the internet.....

This.

Even though I knew where I was going to have it done, I still talked to some other local doctors to get their opinions and projections of what can be done. You will also feel more comfortable if you get to meet the doctor in a casual enviroment instead of walking in 5 minutes before the procedure.
Hydrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #65
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
Did they do both of your eyes at the same time?

The place that was going to perform my Lasik also offers PRK (just found out today). I rescheduled for next Friday, and to my surprise, the PRK is $600 cheaper. The surgeon is ex-Air Force, so he claims that most of his previous laser treatments have been PRK. Only thing that concerns me is that they want to do both eyes at the same time, when everything I've read online says the procedure is usually done one eye at a time.
yes they did both of mine at the same time... I went in on a Wed had the surgery... went back on Thurs for a post op follow up... then again on Monday.

Thursday wasn't bad... till later in the day... Saturday SUCKED... my eyes were insanely light sensitive. I couldn't open my eyes in my appt while the sun was up... even with all the blinds down (sun doesn't even shine directly on my windows) night was better... but still sucked.

use the dropps... get some frozen peas to put on your eyes while you sleep... (I wrapped them around my head with a ace bandage ) and you will be sleeping A LOT.

at least I was
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:58 AM   #66
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

I felt good Sunday. Friday was the worst... Saturday was bad but felt better in the late after noon (my previous posts I said it was Sat... looked at an e-mail I sent Sunday and I was mistaken)

I dunno if you'll be good to read Monday... I could see... but stayed in my darkish apartment all day. but I remember feeling like I was fine to go out, even in the AM

for me, they put a protective contact on that I had to go in and have removed Monday... and honestly that was what was making my vision even half bad on Monday. I mean imagine wearing a contact for 5 days with out taking them out or cleaning them... all the while sleeping 15-20hrs a day?

I'd talk to your instructor about pushing the test back if you can...just in case.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:13 AM   #67
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
I felt good Sunday. Friday was the worst... Saturday was bad but felt better in the late after noon (my previous posts I said it was Sat... looked at an e-mail I sent Sunday and I was mistaken)

I dunno if you'll be good to read Monday... I could see... but stayed in my darkish apartment all day. but I remember feeling like I was fine to go out, even in the AM

for me, they put a protective contact on that I had to go in and have removed Monday... and honestly that was what was making my vision even half bad on Monday. I mean imagine wearing a contact for 5 days with out taking them out or cleaning them... all the while sleeping 15-20hrs a day?

I'd talk to your instructor about pushing the test back if you can...just in case.
What's so bad about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:58 AM   #68
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
What's so bad about that?
they get all hazy and nasty...
Old 04-24-2010, 07:07 AM   #69
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Mine are fine, they've been in since March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #70
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
Mine are fine, they've been in since March.
you'd notice a difference if you changed them now though...

I didn't really ever know how bad mine were until I threw a new set in...

same with the lasik protective contact... didn't realize how dirty it was until they took it off and things cleared up.

still took about a month for my eyes to settle into the 20/15 range...