Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 03-15-2008, 12:12 AM   #61
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
cool... be sure to write down all the problems you run into... so when you come and help build mine... it'll go much smoother
Douche. You're not even pretending like you would lift a finger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
CEO, you're a friggin work horse. GREAT JOB.
Thanks sweetheart
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:24 AM   #62
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
Douche. You're not even pretending like you would lift a finger
I would... I'd be take'n pictures!

actually I'm imagining I'll be re-doing or newly constructing a garage in CO... my budget there isn't the biggest so most of the houses I'm looking at have tiny garages... either way I'll want to insulate it and dry wall it. I'll be using your pics as reference... I've drywalled an attic... but that was back when I was 15 or so... the part I fuck'n hated was the mud/tape'n...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:26 AM   #63
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Quote:
I would... I'd be take'n pictures!

actually I'm imagining I'll be re-doing or newly constructing a garage in CO... my budget there isn't the biggest so most of the houses I'm looking at have tiny garages... either way I'll want to insulate it and dry wall it. I'll be using your pics as reference... I've drywalled an attic... but that was back when I was 15 or so... the part I fuck'n hated was the mud/tape'n...
I'm not the best, but I can do a decent job on most general construction, drywall, electrical, etc etc. I can help you out if you need it. Once you make a space your own you'll love spending time in it. Once you get a place and want to figure out a plan for it I can talk to you on the phone and stuff.

The thing I'm the worst at is probably drywalling, and the mudding and taping and sanding of it. Partially just because I don't really like doing it. The other stuff I truly enjoy, it's fun to me. But yeah, I'm not looking forward to that. Should be starting it tomorrow. Today I had to hang some more end beads, metal corner strips, some more small pieces of drywall, etc... and I was working on the big doors and small door... painting trim, etc.

edit: and as far as the budget, it's really not too bad. Materials aren't necessarily cheap, but they're reasonable. The hard part is the time and effort. At the end, if you look at what you spent on materials, compared to what some would have charged you to do it for you, you'll have saved a fortune. I've got like under 2 grand into this place, not counting the concrete.... some contractor would probably charge like 20k to do this shit up all nice.

Last edited by ceo012384; 03-15-2008 at 12:30 AM..
Old 03-15-2008, 12:31 AM   #64
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
I'm not the best, but I can do a decent job on most general construction, drywall, electrical, etc etc. I can help you out if you need it. Once you make a space your own you'll love spending time in it. Once you get a place and want to figure out a plan for it I can talk to you on the phone and stuff.

The thing I'm the worst at is probably drywalling, and the mudding and taping and sanding of it. Partially just because I don't really like doing it. The other stuff I truly enjoy, it's fun to me. But yeah, I'm not looking forward to that. Should be starting it tomorrow. Today I had to hang some more end beads, metal corner strips, some more small pieces of drywall, etc... and I was working on the big doors and small door... painting trim, etc.
I'm actually looking forward to the project... I just know it's going to be interesting considering it's been so long since I've done any wood working or drywalling.

shit if you came out to CO I'm sure we'd be out explore'n the back roads too much to get anything done on my garage...

besides I've got my little brother who I can have come live with me for the summer... give him a place to stay for a little weekend help with my garage... plus... I'll make him get a weekday job at Home Depot... so I can get a discount
Old 03-15-2008, 12:33 AM   #65
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Quote:
I'm actually looking forward to the project... I just know it's going to be interesting considering it's been so long since I've done any wood working or drywalling.

shit if you came out to CO I'm sure we'd be out explore'n the back roads too much to get anything done on my garage...

besides I've got my little brother who I can have come live with me for the summer... give him a place to stay for a little weekend help with my garage... plus... I'll make him get a weekday job at Home Depot... so I can get a discount
You'll end up enjoying it for sure. Especially the part when you're done and it's like "shit, I built that?".

If I ever had the time and could go out there, I'd help your lame ass

And looking back, I should have made nice with a hot cashier chick at HD or something... me and my dad could have saved a fortune over the years
Old 03-15-2008, 12:36 AM   #66
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
You'll end up enjoying it for sure. Especially the part when you're done and it's like "shit, I built that?".

If I ever had the time and could go out there, I'd help your lame ass

And looking back, I should have made nice with a hot cashier chick at HD or something... me and my dad could have saved a fortune over the years
I dated a chick at HD once... I met her when I had to pick up some MDF for some sub boxes I was building... we dated for like 6 months or so... never once did I need anything during that time... we had a bad breakup and literally 2 days later... I needed some shit from HD... I drove an hour out of my way to go to another HD...
Old 03-15-2008, 07:35 AM   #67
Carolina
Says it's time to ride

Moto: 2003 honda CBR 954/ 2011 Road King classic

yo your too nice with these women u need to bang a couple whores and treat em like shit and get your swag back. I would have went in there and still tried to hit and get a discount so what if yall were over
Old 03-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #68
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

CEO...you're inspiring me a little bit with that talk. I gotta put a fence around the yard. My wife wants me to do it and I would rather just pay someone.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #69
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
CEO...you're inspiring me a little bit with that talk. I gotta put a fence around the yard. My wife wants me to do it and I would rather just pay someone.
I hate fences...

but i want a dog, and there are not a lot of choices when in town.

I don't know if strictly an underground fence will cut it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:34 PM   #70
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Fence building is hard work, but not very easy to screw up... digging the post holes and everything can be tough depending on the ground at your house. But it would be a good project. Give it a shot... it will end up about as good as you would have someone do for you, and cost about 1/4 of the money.

Then have the wife help you paint it. Afterwards, you'll be like "wow I built that... awesome." Then cut a deal with the lady... the money you saved, put half of it into your joint savings account, and the other half to spend on something fun/relaxing/etc.

As usual, didn't make quite as much progress this weekend as I would have liked, but maybe I just set lofty goals. I got a decent amount done, though. The weather (rain and snow) prevented me from doing some of the things I intended.

My camera was acting up so these are all phone pics, sorry.

There was bits of drywall to finish around the small door, big doors, and the door into the main basement. The frames also needed to be stuffed with insulation beforehand. I did that. Also, needed to prep a lot of the corners for mudding with j-strips and metal corner beads. At this point I was piecing a lot of the parts together with leftover drywall bits. It will add some mudding time but I didn't feel like making a Depot trip just for a sheet of drywall.

Here is the part by the big doors:

Hung some corner beads:

From the main basement looking at the small door after I stuffed insulation in the frame:

I also ripped down the door into the main basement becasue it was in rough shape and needed new hinges. There was a big steel sheet bolted to the front of it (previous building owner kept ~$100k stock of high-end fishing supplies in here, used to be a flyfishing shop) that weighed probably 80 pounds, I took that off. That is why the hinges had gone to shit. I cleaned it off and puttied all of the holes in it:

Hung the drywall around the small door, j-stripped the edges:

Used some of the 1/4" luon that I used to face the inside of the big doors to clean up the threshold:

Then, I used thick weatherstripping to insulate the whole frame of the big doors. The last inch or so that the doors are closed compress this stuff and make a weathertight seal. I could already feel the place getting warmer:

Then, used a gate latch to click the doors together, a short barricade (will paint black and rubberize the ends so as not to scratch the doors next time) for strength, and a cane bolt down into the concrete to secure them shut:

Started the mudding, did most of the main room 1 coat:

And painted one side of the door going into the main basement:

Next time, need to finish up all the door issues... couldn't this time because of the weather. I have all the stuff already:
- Door sweeps on the bottom of the small door and both big doors
- Extra wide door sweep/flap between the big doors in the center
- Rubber sheeting over the hinge-side gaps for redundancy
- Small trim painting bits outside
- Paint the other side of the door going into the main basement, rehang it on fresh hinges

There is one or two small trim things to neaten up in the garage as well, just little tit jobs though.

Then, it's all mudding... 3 coats, sanding in between. Yay fun. Not.