Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #61
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
Money is over rated. What I want is time and enough money to do the things I enjoy. Firefighting might be the career that can do that. I have to decide. My black ass burning in a fire is a drawback. Nothing is perfect.

James
Yea me too! I used to make really good money in sales but I was a nervous wreck that smoked and drank. Now I get up, do my work and come home with a clean conscience.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:16 PM   #62
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttle View Post
or lock outs....

LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:21 AM   #63
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

I believe that the job I'm looking at with Arctic Cat would be very close.
So... we shall see how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
When I was in high school my dream was of going into the medical field (forensic pathology or genetics). Forensics still fascinates me, but that dream hasn't so much faded as I kinda lost interest once I discovered helicopters.

So right now I'm studying for the AFAST and working on improving my PT score so I can be a little more competitive when I submit my Aviation Warrant Officer packet when I redeploy. My eyes aren't perfect, but my current prescription falls within the limits of the flight physical regulation, so it shouldn't be an issue. From what my boss back home (an aviation LTC) and her friend the state flight surgeon say, anything is waiverable.

I've wanted to be a helicopter pilot since my last deployment in '04... but my ex-husband always guilt-tripped me to keep me out of it ("I don't want you to be away from me for so long!"). Ironically, after we had kids (and things were going sour between us) all of a sudden he was completely supportive of me going to flight school.
Good luck! I have thought about that for a long time, and will be submitting my warrant packet when I get off this deployment, but in the Maintenance field. Only birds in the state are Blackhawks, and I would need to get lasic first anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:37 PM   #64
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
Good luck! I have thought about that for a long time, and will be submitting my warrant packet when I get off this deployment, but in the Maintenance field. Only birds in the state are Blackhawks, and I would need to get lasic first anyway...
Thanks!

Yeah, if the aviation thing doesn't go through, there are TONS of mobility warrant slots open (when we left for Iraq, there was ONE mobility warrant in the TXARNG... and he is in our unit ), and being an 88N I'm a shoe-in for that. It's just too bad I'm not actually doing 88N work on this deployment.

Is your eyesight worse than 20/50? If so, then yes, you'd have to get LASIK (or PRK... I think PRK is less invasive, but check with your state flight surgeon first as to which procedure would be more acceptable to their flight program), because I think that's one of those waiverable things (and there's a study that they're doing on pilots they accept who have had eye surgery). I'm no true expert on that, though... so check with the folks that know. I know I don't have to get surgery since my eyesight is within the 20/50 limits according to the reg for Class 1 flight physicals and it's correctable with glasses.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #65
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

FAR worse than 20/50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #66
Archren
Sham WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
FAR worse than 20/50
D'oh!!

I'd like to get eye surgery... I can see without my glasses, but reading signs without squinting gets real hard if they're more than 15 feet away. It sure would beat the $$$ I have to spend on prescriptions (especially prescription Oakleys!! I still need to order some VR28 and Persimmon lenses for range days.) But I was told to hold off on it because certain eye surgeries could completely preclude me from the flight program, versus getting accepted with my eyesight as-is.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."

-Dr. Seuss
Old 01-28-2010, 04:52 PM   #67
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
D'oh!!

I'd like to get eye surgery... I can see without my glasses, but reading signs without squinting gets real hard if they're more than 15 feet away. It sure would beat the $$$ I have to spend on prescriptions (especially prescription Oakleys!! I still need to order some VR28 and Persimmon lenses for range days.) But I was told to hold off on it because certain eye surgeries could completely preclude me from the flight program, versus getting accepted with my eyesight as-is.
Blade Free Lasik - FTW! I had it 3 weeks ago and it's the best money I've possibly ever spent on myself. Super easy and I'm very happy with the results.
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #68
Archren
Sham WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiergirl View Post
Blade Free Lasik - FTW! I had it 3 weeks ago and it's the best money I've possibly ever spent on myself. Super easy and I'm very happy with the results.
I don't doubt it! Everyone I've talked to who has had eye surgery has said the same, regardless of the procedure.

-Dr. Seuss
Old 01-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #69
Flexin
AMA Supersport

I received and email today saying I was approved for the grant. So it looks like I'm in the school. I still need to get the other half but I'm in.

James
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #70
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

If I could do anything I'd sit on my ass all day and do nothing.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote