Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-24-2009, 10:44 AM   #61
Rider
Moto GP Star

My work computer is a HP lappy. Just over 2 years old and I've never had any issues with it. Its plenty fast and reliable. The only complaint I have is occasionally the secondary monitor that I have connected to it(19" widescreen LCD) will flicker from time to time while the display on the laptop doesn't do this. It's nice to use 2 monitors though so you can have have 100 applications open at once.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #62
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
What are you using, camera-wise?

(Screw the damned Mac stuff)
Cannon Rebel XT, with the standard 18-55mm and a 70-300mm lens, no fancy stuff yet...
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #63
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Cannon Rebel XT, with the standard 18-55mm and a 70-300mm lens, no fancy stuff yet...
You don't need fancy stuff, if what you have does the job and if you've got the skill. I started out in track photography with a 10X zoom, 4MPix point & shoot. I'm just having fun now with a 10 MPix DSLR and high-zoot lenses.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #64
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
You don't need fancy stuff, if what you have does the job and if you've got the skill. I started out in track photography with a 10X zoom, 4MPix point & shoot. I'm just having fun now with a 10 MPix DSLR and high-zoot lenses.
Yeah Ive found that right now its still more camera than I need, but I get excited about improving my skills. I try to catch up with the photogs at track days and pick their brains, now I just need to keep practicing! I dont see myself getting anything bigger and better tho, kinda like my bike, it can do way more than I can make it do!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:29 AM   #65
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah Ive found that right now its still more camera than I need, but I get excited about improving my skills. I try to catch up with the photogs at track days and pick their brains, now I just need to keep practicing! I dont see myself getting anything bigger and better tho, kinda like my bike, it can do way more than I can make it do!
Some fantastic advice......

Kinda like a conversation went w/ a photographer friend of mine while I was living in the Marshall Islands....

Photographer is there, and this other person came up, showing off their brand new Canon 20D, telling her how much better her pictures are going to be.

Politely after the second person left, she made the comment "Just because you buy yourself a fancy guitar, it doesn't make you Jimmi Fucking Hendrix."

Very true words, right there.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:32 AM   #66
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Quote:

But now my darn laptop can't do what I want, and the pics are never the same when printed as they are onscreen so my editing is sucking mostly due to crappy laptop stuff. Thus my interest in MAC for that...
Common misconception, what you see isn't always what you get.

You need to calibrate, dear....

http://spyder.datacolor.com/

One of the bests, and they've been around a while.....Worth the $$$ if your'e looking at keeping up w/ this.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:36 AM   #67
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

I'm personally looking to upgrade to the Canon 5D MkII.

Course that's probably gonna be about a year or so from now, maybe I can find a nice used one then...

$2700 is some change to put down on just a hobby. I've been giving more and more thought however, to going semi-pro and doing some pay work on the side/weekends, I think I'm finally at that step... but I don't think I could ever see it being a full-time profession for me, the work just isn't stable enough IMHO, and I've got a solid F/T career as it is.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:45 AM   #68
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amblyopic View Post
Common misconception, what you see isn't always what you get.

You need to calibrate, dear....

http://spyder.datacolor.com/

One of the bests, and they've been around a while.....Worth the $$$ if your'e looking at keeping up w/ this.
In my circles the experience tends to involve people being complimented on their pictures, then being told that they must have a great camera. Funny that cooks are never complimented, then told that they must have a great stove.

I need to toss my Spyder2Express and pick up a pro, so that I can calibrate BOTH my monitors.

This season I'll be working with an Olympus E-3 and an E-30, both with grips.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/

Last edited by Papa_Complex; 02-25-2009 at 06:54 AM..
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:51 AM   #69
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Quote:
In my circles the experience tends to involve people being complimented on their pictures, then being told that they must have a great camera. Funny that cooks are never complimented, then told that they must have a great stove.

I need to toss my Spyder2Express and pick up a pro, so that I can calibrate BOTH my monitors.
lmao.

That's an amazing analogy.

It just comes down to people don't understand photography, so they must think bigger/better/faster/more expensive. Not always true.

Gah. reminds me, I need to pick up my AE-1 from the house in Calvert next time I'm going back thru Texas.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #70
Sauron
Dark Lord

Moto: Yamaha FZ1 - Suzuki SV1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
BTW I used to get a kick out of the mac users talking about how they "CAN'T" get a virus. I always said it was only because no one used them so they didn't care enough to fuck them up.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/117188

Macs hit with BitTorrent-embedded malware attack
That's not technically a virus, that's a Trojan. Which is just like a lot of Windows Trojans. You had to specifically Grant it permission to install.

All of the OSX Malware to date have been trojans. The mac "viruses" that are in most Av programs are/were actually for the older OS (IE, System 6-9).

Simple Free OSX antivirus software: http://www.iantivirus.com/

And for the record, I'm not really a Windows, or Mac or Linux specific person. I use all three as well as Solaris everyday for different purposes. But then I'm also one of those people that has 3 Desktop PC's and 2 laptops at my house...

Mark