Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

View Poll Results: Do you mow yourself or pay someone?
Mow it myself! 36 80.00%
Pay someone! 5 11.11%
Something about whores here. 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #61
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILK View Post
Clay soil is very dense and little air gets in. Do you aerate? That is important. Do you use lime?

Getting the soil tested is the best route but I have never had that done anywhere. My previous house had clay and the backyard had shaded bits. I never worked the lawn but my ex was adament about lime and aeration. The grass on that lawn is in really good shape. He also fertilized in the Spring but I don't know what he used. It wasn't anything special though. The folks at Lowe's or Home Depot could suggest a good fertilizer.

If your backyard is shade all the time though you may never get the grass like you want it..
I aerate once a year and I put down 100lbs of lime for the first time last year. I pay to have my yard fertilized but I have used 3 different services and the result was the same with every company I used. And yes the backyard, well 3/4 of it anyway, is 100% shade all day long.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #62
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
is 100% shade all day long.
That's the problem. Can you get rid of some trees to let some light in?

Plants need light.. Sounds like you have done everything you can do. It's time to put in a patio and be done with it.
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #63
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
That's the problem. Can you get rid of some trees to let some light in?

Plants need light.. Sounds like you have done everything you can do. It's time to put in a patio and be done with it.
No the trees are not on my property. It's just a forest behind my house but that land belongs to the homeowners association and I can't cut any trees down. I already have a very large (18'x 36') patio back there but that is against the house and gets full sun.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #64
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

I voted pay someone, but that;s only because I llive in a condo townhouse and it's automatically taken care of out of our condo fees.

If I had a large yard, and access to cheap labor, I would have someone else mow, for a smaller yard, I would do it myself.
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #65
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Milk how much land are you trying to mow. Ours is like yours, rural and was field until we moved in. Took our time with a very used rider (expendable) to mow everything down. Now we mow 3 acres with a new yet inexpensive lawn tractor. Got it at Tractor Supply for right around a grand. Definitely not a zero turn level mower but it does the job we need done. like you we're not going for yard of the neighborhood here. Just want it cut down so i don't lose the dogs or chickens.

paying someone to do it could get very pricey fast. even at $50, if they mow every week you have paid for a mower by summers end. TS will do 6 months zero interest on a CC. make $50 a week payments on that and your mower will be paid for in a couple months, next year the mower is "free"
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #66
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
Milk how much land are you trying to mow. Ours is like yours, rural and was field until we moved in. Took our time with a very used rider (expendable) to mow everything down. Now we mow 3 acres with a new yet inexpensive lawn tractor. Got it at Tractor Supply for right around a grand. Definitely not a zero turn level mower but it does the job we need done. like you we're not going for yard of the neighborhood here. Just want it cut down so i don't lose the dogs or chickens.

paying someone to do it could get very pricey fast. even at $50, if they mow every week you have paid for a mower by summers end. TS will do 6 months zero interest on a CC. make $50 a week payments on that and your mower will be paid for in a couple months, next year the mower is "free"
2 acres. What is the brand of tractor and how long have you had it? We do have a Tractor Supply. I didn't think of going there for a mower. I am going there anyway because I have some pasture fencing to put up. You are right about it adding up and that is part of what bothers me..

Ohh and I want chickens too!! I came very close to getting them for my son for his birthday but decided I just don't need anything else to take care of right now.

Hey Rider, something else I forgot to ask. How short do you keep your lawn? The shorter the harder it is on the grass. If you don't already, keep the blade at the highest level!
Old 04-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #67
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
If you're growing outdoors and you don't want nutrient burn on your plants you want something like Fox Farms Ocean Forest.

I mean, yea you can grow with Miracle Grow. But why take all that risk and not get the best quality product you can?
You dont do it for budding, just the first 9 weeks.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #68
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
You dont do it for budding, just the first 9 weeks.
So you'd transplant them after the veg stage? Seems like too much of a pain.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #69
MILK
The cows want you dead.

You boys keep your drugs off my gardnening thread!!
Old 04-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #70
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
You boys keep your drugs off my gardnening thread!!
We're not talking about drugs.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote