Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 05-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #61
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

So why is the govt so against marijuana? It seems as if they put too much emphasis on it, while things like Meth, Heroine and Coke are so much worse...
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #62
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbs View Post
Whose to say that weed was what did it? Could it have been alcohol or nicotine?

Out of people that i know, the ones that do the hard drugs don't smoke weed. Sure, they did it when they were younger.. but they also smoked cigs (still do) and all of them drink (heavily). But they don't smoke weed at all. The people that I know that smoke weed.. only do that.. Some smoke cigs, some don't.. Not all drink either. So I don't really think there is a direct relation.

I think it just has to do with their personality. If weed wasn't there it would go - Cigs -> Beer -> then coke -> pills -> or whatever.
The people I know well who occasionally use hard drugs (4) all smoke weed multiple times a day. They also drink and take prescription drugs when they can get them. What is funny is one of them doesn't smoke and he criticizes smokers for their disgusting habit. I don't hang out with them too much because they are collectively a train wreck.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #63
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
I wasnt talking about you getting that part of it goober, I was talking about the Capt. Hook part.

Im not going to argue with you dude, Im trying to have a civil and interesting conversation, not get into a debate on whys or why someone else is wrong.

You are still however talking about LEGAL items, regardless of their content, they are still legal.
Civil? How have I been anything other than civil with you? I'm having a conversation, same as any. In fact, you have called numerous names, which doesn't bother me at all, but there it is. You jumped into this thread and posted opposing viewpoints, which is awesome because that's what a forum is for. But please don't feel negative feelings because someone chose to engage you on those opinions.

I will never understand what people think "legal" has to do with anything, as if the laws are always correct and absolute. It would be similiar to saying that Harriet Tubman should've served her time in prison because what she did was illegal. Or that Britain should've executed Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, etc. The laws are irrelevant for the purpose of this conversation when used as an absolute illustration, because that is in fact what we're debating.

Remember, my post is regarding the War on Drugs being a failure with a focus on how the laws themselves have failed us.

Quote:
So why is the govt so against marijuana? It seems as if they put too much emphasis on it, while things like Meth, Heroine and Coke are so much worse...
Read up on it, or watch "Grass" with Woody Harrellson. There is an amazing and disgusting back story to all this.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #64
dubbs
Multistrada

Quote:
Your guess is as good as mine..
Daily Driver - 2011 Toyota Prius - Black
Beater - 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Dust Colored
dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #65
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbs View Post
Your guess is as good as mine..
There's no need to guess, it is all very well documented.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #66
the chi
Forum Coach

I am not that interested. I was hoping you'd give us the short version since you are apparently so well versed on the matter.

You want to argue about vewipoints but not the actaul discussion material...
Old 05-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #67
dubbs
Multistrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
There's no need to guess, it is all very well documented.
True.. I meant as far as how dangerous it is to people..

not the economic and political reasons..
Old 05-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #68
dubbs
Multistrada

I didn't know about Marc Emery.. that's so fucked up.. How the hell will that hold up in court? Isn't Canada supposed to be the one charging him?
Old 05-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #69
the chi
Forum Coach

I havent read the case file, but it will probably hold up the same way the case against those Seals was(cuz the murdering terrorist got a fat lip). Ridiculously and erroneously.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #70
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
I think the gateway drug debate is an interesting one tho. I honestly think it depends on the personality involved. I have an acquaintance who was very seriously hooked on cocaine at one point and she very much swears that it was weed that led her to it and got her into the life. She has a very addictive personality and will admit to it.

Im the same way. Part of my decision to never use drugs and rarely drink is because I have such an addictive personality I know if I were to try it or use it constantly I might become hooked. Kinda like the track. I start itching anytime Im near one.
I think one could make a pretty compelling argument that the (il)legal status of marijuana is the real gateway. If you have to interface with the illegal drug world just to get pot, you're likely to get exposed to other, harder drugs.

I'd like to see numbers that show that medicinal marijuana users are also subject to the same gateway effect. I doubt that's the case.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote