marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Coolpix s210
Thank you. And correct.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #762
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Yea. What camera was used on the face shot?
That shot was with a Canon Digital Rebel XTi.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:05 PM   #763
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
What kind? I have a sony cybershot and it sucks so i am in the market for a new camera.
You can take a quality picture with nearly any camera. You just have to know what you're doing. Mainly, holding still. Shitty shots are usually caused my people shaking like Michael J. Fox.

Quote:
Old 07-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #764
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
You can take a quality picture with nearly any camera. You just have to know what you're doing. Mainly, holding still. Shitty shots are usually caused my people shaking like Michael J. Fox.
I have steady hands! When I take face pics they come out really harsh and unflattering esp when I use the flash. Its fine in outdoor lighting though . And its really blurry in low lighting. Not sure if the settings can be adjusted but I usually just set it to an auto mode. My pictures always came out nice with film though.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:34 AM   #765
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
I have steady hands! When I take face pics they come out really harsh and unflattering esp when I use the flash. Its fine in outdoor lighting though . And its really blurry in low lighting. Not sure if the settings can be adjusted but I usually just set it to an auto mode. My pictures always came out nice with film though.
Consumer cameras, especially compacts, usually have too much sharpening applied to pictures by default. This highlights every skin flaw and imperfection, which especially women tend not to like in shots of themselves. With a man, depending upon his general appearance, such flaws tend to add 'character.'

Some cameras allow you to alter the default settings, so in-camera sharpening can be reduced. There are a variety of software 'filters' available that can be used to edit pictures, after the fact, and smooth skin tones. "Portraiture" is one of them: http://www.imagenomic.com/pt.aspx

Or you can just end up with harsh shadows, when using flash. It's rare for professional photographers to use just one flash, when shooting portraits. Three is pretty much the minimum, plus reflectors, umbrellas, and diffusers.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #766
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
I rarely use flash. Natural light FTW...even in TV when I can get away with it. That's b/c of what Papa said...harsh shadows.

Quote:
Old 07-15-2011, 07:59 AM   #767
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
The camera makes a HUGE difference... I've had a few over the years that consistently gave me shitty pictures... So far, my Canon SD1100 has given me consistently top quality pictures (for a point and shoot)... I did a LOT of research when buying that thing and it was a fantastic purchase.

I have a new Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 on the way (should be here Monday)... got it because it seems to be the best all around waterproof/rugged camera on the market today, but from what I gather the ol' Canon will probably still take better pictures.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #768
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
I rarely use flash. Natural light FTW...even in TV when I can get away with it. That's b/c of what Papa said...harsh shadows.
This. I was really reticent to take a lighting class, but I did learn a lot about how to help reduce the harsh shadows when you have specular sunlight. Plus I'm a wee bit lazy and cheap.. lugging around a strobe kit (or even constant lighting), plus reflectors, soft boxes/umbrellas, etc., ad nauseum, just seems too much for my particular style (I tend to prefer candid shots in most cases).

My Brigade CSM's picture always gives me the biggest twitch.. I can tell they used only one tungsten lamp (the pic looks yellow, so they didn't adjust the white balance) and no fill lighting (either via another lamp or a reflector). He's already pretty stern looking, but the harsh side-lighting just makes it even worse.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #769
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
This. I was really reticent to take a lighting class, but I did learn a lot about how to help reduce the harsh shadows when you have specular sunlight. Plus I'm a wee bit lazy and cheap.. lugging around a strobe kit (or even constant lighting), plus reflectors, soft boxes/umbrellas, etc., ad nauseum, just seems too much for my particular style (I tend to prefer candid shots in most cases).

My Brigade CSM's picture always gives me the biggest twitch.. I can tell they used only one tungsten lamp (the pic looks yellow, so they didn't adjust the white balance) and no fill lighting (either via another lamp or a reflector). He's already pretty stern looking, but the harsh side-lighting just makes it even worse.
Usually, in bright sunlight, all that you really need is a little fill flash. For example I used fill in this shot where the subject was in bright sunlight, but the sky behind was heavy clouds.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/mult...andid/R7183401

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #770
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

Quote:
I took that with a point and shoot.
you could still edit it in lightroom or photoshop i would think..

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote