Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 12-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #71
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Two things that seem irrationally difficult for some people to grasp.

At any rate, I'm glad you posted this. Hopefully at least one person got something out of it.

I'd also be willing to bet everyone on this board has, at least once, decreased throttle to get through a turn they over-cooked or had to change their line to avoid an obstacle. And anybody that shot off the road as a result either slammed the throttle closed and/or sat upright on the bike when the decreased throttle.
I'm no guru but love to make others think, and love to pick other's brains when it comes to riding techniques etc...
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:13 AM   #72
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
One of the key missed steps in advancing rider skill is getting comfortable using throttle application to control cornering arc while leaned over in a turn. How are you doing in grasping/mastering this?
Lookout Mountain was clear of ice and snow today, so I tried using the throttle to control the cornering arc. On really tight turns, I could only give throttle when coming out of the corner. But that's because I'm so leaned over. On faster curves, I was able to give throttle while in the corner. What happened? The bike went faster.

This wasn't a very scientific experiment, but opening the throttle on a bunch of curves did not bring the rear around, and didn't make the front go around any faster. With the sun at a low angle, I really had to squint and watch the road. Plus, I didn't really notice what the suspension did when giving throttle in the curve. But I assumed it raised up in the front which would worsen handling. As the bike sped up, I had to lean off the bike more. I'm not sure if that was caused by the suspension or the throttle. But it was fun. More snow coming in tomorrow.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:23 AM   #73
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
opening the throttle on a bunch of curves did not bring the rear around, and didn't make the front go around any faster.

As the bike sped up, I had to lean off the bike more. I'm not sure if that was caused by the suspension or the throttle.
Interesting. Not the technique tached was posting about, but interesting.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:49 AM   #74
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Interesting. Not the technique tached was posting about, but interesting.
Yep, No Worries, go back to the same set of curves, set your entry speed and lean angle to desired taste, have the rpm somwhere between 60-80% THEN infinitely reduce your throttle ever so slightly as you go through and report back what happens. I am too lazy to look but I'm curious what the trail/rake is on your GS1000? The GS has a 130 rear tire out back right?

Reason you had to lean off further when you added more throttle is to compensate for the bike wanting to pick itself up and run a wider line.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote