Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 04-28-2011, 04:40 AM   #71
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post

If theres a gas station on one side of the road and a gas staton on the other side and one had gas for 3 dollars and another had it for 3.25 the guy selling it for 3.25 would still get buisness...Why? bc people who are to lazy to make the left or right into the cheaper gas station bc its not on there side of the road and the 3.25 station is "easier" to get to...Trust me I've seen it many times.
You live in New Jersey where it takes an hr and a 5 mile drive to turn around to get to the other side of the road

I do agree with what youre saying to an extent. Gas prices are rising but most peoples incomes are not, so now more will be spent on fuel which means less will be spent/saved elsewhere. Businesses will eventualy feel that pinch too and start raising their prices too so it all has a snowball effect. We started seeing some of that in 08 with all the fuel surcharges as gas prices skyrocketed.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #72
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Sure, just not as much.

There's no such thing as a product with perfectly inelastic demand.

People just need to man up. You don't NEED to drive to 5 different grocery stores, when 1 will do. You don't NEED to drive alone, when carpooling would work. You don't NEED a big home in the suburbs, when an urban condo would work.
If people cant afford it they wont buy it thats an absolute fact. During th recession oil demand dropped pretty significantly.

http://greenecon.net/dramatic-drop-i...economics.html
Old 04-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #73
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
If people cant afford it they wont buy it thats an absolute fact. During th recession oil demand dropped pretty significantly.

A lot of that was reduced demand of anything using petroleum in its ingrediants (rubber, plastic, etc.), as well as less diesel fuel shipping stuff around

And I seem to recall a lot of people here and on CF who claimed that higher gas prices would never affect anyone's decision-making. Now all of a sudden you see many of those same people with more fuel-efficient vehicles. Hmm.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #74
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
A lot of that was reduced demand of anything using petroleum in its ingrediants (rubber, plastic, etc.), as well as less diesel fuel shipping stuff around

And I seem to recall a lot of people here and on CF who claimed that higher gas prices would never affect anyone's decision-making. Now all of a sudden you see many of those same people with more fuel-efficient vehicles. Hmm.
Those were probably the same people on CF saying that real estate was the only way to amass wealth and that it ALWAYS goes up in value.

Those guys don't post anymore, their computers have all been repossessed.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #75
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

There was a guy like that on our local forum. Always bragging about his success as a flipper (with a track record of 2 flips). This was back in 2006. Haven't seen him around anymore.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #76
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post

Yes and No, Demand dropped because shit hit the fan with MORE than just the price of gas...but lets face it if you have to go somewhere you NEED gas.

And if they cant afford it, then they steal it. Working at a gas station, i had to deal with it on a hourly basis from day to day...people claim they only said ten and yet they watched the gas pump fill there escalade all the way up till it was 80 dollars...yet they only have ten dollars on them...Right...And I'm the fucking tooth fairy on my days off.

I'd love to carpool, Hell Id love to walk to work or ride a bike...but I cant. So i buy gas because I have no other choice at the moment.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #77
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Yes and No, Demand dropped because shit hit the fan with MORE than just the price of gas...but lets face it if you have to go somewhere you NEED gas.

And if they cant afford it, then they steal it. Working at a gas station, i had to deal with it on a hourly basis from day to day...people claim they only said ten and yet they watched the gas pump fill there escalade all the way up till it was 80 dollars...yet they only have ten dollars on them...Right...And I'm the fucking tooth fairy on my days off....
Every pump I've encounted nowadays shuts off automatically when the dollar amount paid reaches the set point. Can't see stealing gas as an issue any longer.

Quote:
....I'd love to carpool, Hell Id love to walk to work or ride a bike...but I cant. So i buy gas because I have no other choice at the moment.
You also like to drive a big gas hog Dodge Ram too...

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #78
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Every pump I've encounted nowadays shuts off automatically when the dollar amount paid reaches the set point. Can't see stealing gas as an issue any longer.

You also like to drive a big gas hog Dodge Ram too...
Ok let me break it down for you...Yes your right it does shut off when you set the amount..but when you say fill and then AFTER it fills you try and tell me you really said you wanted 10, 15, 20 dollars and its my fault...Then your stealing.

Remember...NJ We pump the gas for you...so its a little different in our situation. People do it ALL the time and as a company...they just want us to eat it and let the customer go...It's Bullshit bc it will happen more often the higher the price goes.

And Yes, again...i choose to drive my Dodge ram...why? Bc I can...You dont really see me bitching anywhere in here about it. I love my truck. Im fully aware of what i pay when i put gas in it...But i also have the chance to drive a Hyundai elantra at time if need be...and my bike. So really its not as big an issue as one would think.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #79
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:

And if they cant afford it, then they steal it. Working at a gas station, i had to deal with it on a hourly basis from day to day...people claim they only said ten and yet they watched the gas pump fill there escalade all the way up till it was 80 dollars...yet they only have ten dollars on them...Right...And I'm the fucking tooth fairy on my days off.

I'd love to carpool, Hell Id love to walk to work or ride a bike...but I cant. So i buy gas because I have no other choice at the moment.
If you cant afford it you wont buy it. It doesnt matter if you cant afford it because you lost your job or because it costs $150 to fill your car. The point is that demand can go down.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #80
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Ok let me break it down for you...Yes your right it does shut off when you set the amount..but when you say fill and then AFTER it fills you try and tell me you really said you wanted 10, 15, 20 dollars and its my fault...Then your stealing.....
The fuel station needs to recieve the money first unless it wishes to keep getting burned.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote