Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #71
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
For sure. They say small dogs are more sensitive to noises. So I guess the thinking is have a small dog to make the initial noise and a big dog to make the loud noises and possibly bite when needed.

My dog makes a lot of noise, but I doubt he's gonna bite anyone. I dont need him to though. I just need him to make me aware of whats going on.
My dogs don't bite either. At least if they aren't threatened. I do.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #72
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
My dogs don't bite either. At least if they aren't threatened. I do.
My dog is a Lab/Golden Retriever mix. So, naturally he thinks everyone is his best friend. But he is very very protective of my wife. He's been agressive toward another dog one time when, I guess, he felt like this dog was a threat to my wife. But by and large I wouldn't count on him to bite an offender. I can handle that so long as Manny wakes me up.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #73
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
My dog is a Lab/Golden Retriever mix. So, naturally he thinks everyone is his best friend. But he is very very protective of my wife. He's been agressive toward another dog one time when, I guess, he felt like this dog was a threat to my wife. But by and large I wouldn't count on him to bite an offender. I can handle that so long as Manny wakes me up.
I can't count on my boxer to bite anyone but he will alert me in plenty of time to get my wits about me, click off the safety, and chamber a round if need be.

The dog barks like mad at any small noise. Out of a dead sleep in a room away from the front of the house he will start barking at people walking up the driveway long before the knock on the door.

He'd give me enough warning to go down to the basement to the gun safe and bring up my entire weapons cache before anyone made an attempt to enter.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #74
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

finally my dogs are the "right ones" LOL we always say the little one is the early warning system or bait. I don't think the boxer would ever bite anyone although she looks "scary" to people. although we had a guy try to walk in and she (the boxer) very convincingly made him decide not to continue through the door. until then we had never even heard her growl.

when the poodle is barking her ass off the boxer is usually standing right behind the door quietly.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #75
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Again, I understand the sentiment of defending one's self rather than defending a home. I just think the general public has an incorrect understanding of what happens in a home invasion. You could have all the warning in the world, and still not know how to handle yourself.

Don't be too sure of what your dog will or will not do. I have a black lab, and an old dog at that. She scared the crap out of a friend of mine that stopped by to look after her and the house while I was out of town. She might have been wagging her tail - but she came at the front door VERY aggressively with an awesome big-dog bark. Wagging or not, if they would have come through that door she would be VERY loyal to her home and family. I was pleasantly surprised at her action and reaction.

Yes, I have guns, but I wouldn't ever count solely on them for home protection. They have served me well, but that is only because I know how to load and react in the dark. If Ed is wanting to make sure Z is able to handle that weapon and herself... training and retraining is a VERY good idea. ESPECIALLY with children in the house. That goes for both of them.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #76
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
Get a dog, any kind of dog. Preferably one that barks. That'll give you all the warning you need. If you get something noisy, like a sheltie, it'll be barking at anything within 100' of the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I can't count on my boxer to bite anyone but he will alert me in plenty of time to get my wits about me, click off the safety, and chamber a round if need be.

The dog barks like mad at any small noise. Out of a dead sleep in a room away from the front of the house he will start barking at people walking up the driveway long before the knock on the door.

He'd give me enough warning to go down to the basement to the gun safe and bring up my entire weapons cache before anyone made an attempt to enter.
You gotta be careful of the false alarms... I know my folks mini-weiner dog fucking barks at everything... she sleep-barks for christ's sake. If the dog barks at everything you may just ignore it and try to go back to sleep, losing valuable seconds in that sort of situation.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #77
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
You gotta be careful of the false alarms... I know my folks mini-weiner dog fucking barks at everything... she sleep-barks for christ's sake. If the dog barks at everything you may just ignore it and try to go back to sleep, losing valuable seconds in that sort of situation.
No false alarms ever and barking at 3am would be way way out of character.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #78
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Dammit, get back to posting picks of shotguns.
That was more fun.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #79
t-homo
WSB Champion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJHnYox1zMc
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #80
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-homo View Post