Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #71
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post

Insurance would be MORE expensive if it weren't for smokers. The New England Journal of Medicine estimated total healthcare costs would increase by 7% for men and 4% for women if no one smoked. YOU are the leech on healthcare costs Healthy McHealtherson. I want my money bitch!
But those same smokers miss more work than non-smokers would, use less sick days, and company productivity would go up meaning companies pay more taxes and blah blah blah. Not to mention that smokers often times do other drugs including pills so they go into the ER trying to scam doctors for pills which raises costs.

Seriously, are you expecting me to believe that if everyone smoked that we'd be better off?

Do you have a link to the NEJM article? I am curious about it.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #72
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
That's right tigger, riding a motorcycle is no more dangerous than driving a car.
You are not more likely to have an accident on a bike than in a car, that's bs. In fact, imho, you are less likely because the average bike rider is more attentive and aware of his surroundings. They are not playing with the stereo, they are not smoking, they are not yelling at the kids, they are not texting, they are not eating a Big Mac, etc. To say that someone who is riding a motorcycle, in the same manner as they would a car (as far as speed, etc) ie safely, is more likely to have an accident is ludicrous at best. BTW it breaks my heart to see fellow riders espouse the exact same sensationalist crap that cagers do. Do you really mean to say that Suzie Homemaker in the Tahoe, eating a Big Mac, talking on the phone with four screaming brats in the car is less likely to have an accident than I am? That is flat out insulting!!!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #73
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck750 View Post
I have mental fortitude, just lack the patience to deal with people who think they are the only ones walking the planet. The sense of entitlement that most people have totally pisses me off. Seems I should live my life to such high standards in order not "bother" them, pollute "their" planet, and allow "them" to do what ever the hell "they" want to.

I'm sure there are a multitude of things you do on a daily basis that infringes on other people rights, feelings, and personal space.

When you are perfect. let AMJ know, I'm sure he could use the help.
Me infringing on someone's personal space isn't going to kill them. I am a pretty selfish person but I try to be polite. I'm not going to blast music on the subway, I'm not going to use my school's computer to check Facebook or bitch on here. I'm not going to expect special treatment on the road because I ride a motorcycle (for example I don't cut cars when traffic is stopped).

Smokers are the worst about thinking they are the only ones on the planet. I know it is a government thing but even if it wasn't people woudl smoke on a plane if they could. Talk about thinking about yourself.

Then let's talk about the cigarette butts laying all over the road. And then ask a smoker why they don't leave it in their car. They'll tell you "Because it stinks the car up".
Old 06-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #74
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

You guys are always good for a smile...and I truly appreciate it.

I never said more or less likely to crash....you did.
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #75
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Because I want to is the only reason anybody needs. At least they were nice enough to give you that answer. None of your business is a perfectly suitable answer to either question posed..
Oh you are not required to answer I realize that, I hope that answer serves your family and children well when they are standing over your casket... It didn't do much for me when my Dad died when I was 15.

Do whatever you want but this is a discussion board and not much will be discussed if your stance is going to be that "no one has a right to ask" and "none of your business" is going to be your standard answer. If you don't wish to discuss the topic, then why post in the thread? Was it just to let the rest of us know that we don't have the right to question you? Nice, thanks for your contribution to the discussion...

Since several of you same guys that are on here defending your right to smoke without being questioned are the same guys who consistently post how stupid it is to ride without gear... Well, I'm just wondering how you reconcile your apparently hypocritical view points. I mean, why do you get to question the intelligence of not wearing a helmet when riding but no one is allowed to question smoking? What is the difference?
Old 06-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #76
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

The difference is that you aren't facing laws that outlaw riding without full gear.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #77
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
You guys are always good for a smile...and I truly appreciate it.

I never said more or less likely to crash....you did.
Umm.. you said "more dangerous"... I'm thinking that "crashing" is at least a small portion of this danger that you are referring to. Are there other, potentially more hazerdous aspects to riding a motorcycle that I have been here-to-for unaware? Please explain what these dangers are and how I can avoid them. Hopefully, it's easier than not placing a tube full of poison in my mouth and lighting it on fire because apparently that is exceedingly difficult.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #78
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
The difference is that you aren't facing laws that outlaw riding without full gear.
Not entirely true... there are already helmet laws, which I do believe you are in support of. Why does the gov't have the right to force me to wear a helmet but they don't have the right to tell smokers not to smoke in public? You must concede that no one is even contemplating a prohibition style law against smoking right? When the argument for helmet laws was argued, several of you used insurance rates as a reason why my not wearing a helmet could affect you... how is this any different?
Old 06-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #79
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Umm.. you said "more dangerous"... I'm thinking that "crashing" is at least a small portion of this danger that you are referring to. Are there other, potentially more hazerdous aspects to riding a motorcycle that I have been here-to-for unaware? Please explain what these dangers are and how I can avoid them. Hopefully, it's easier than not placing a tube full of poison in my mouth and lighting it on fire because apparently that is exceedingly difficult.
If I'm going to crash....I'd much rather do it in s car than on a bike.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Old 06-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #80
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Oh you are not required to answer I realize that, I hope that answer serves your family and children well when they are standing over your casket... It didn't do much for me when my Dad died when I was 15.

Do whatever you want but this is a discussion board and not much will be discussed if your stance is going to be that "no one has a right to ask" and "none of your business" is going to be your standard answer. If you don't wish to discuss the topic, then why post in the thread? Was it just to let the rest of us know that we don't have the right to question you? Nice, thanks for your contribution to the discussion...

Since several of you same guys that are on here defending your right to smoke without being questioned are the same guys who consistently post how stupid it is to ride without gear... Well, I'm just wondering how you reconcile your apparently hypocritical view points. I mean, why do you get to question the intelligence of not wearing a helmet when riding but no one is allowed to question smoking? What is the difference?

I don't smoke.. But, I believe in a person's right to live their life without you or I interfering in it.

It is dumb to ride without gear. But, again it's a personal choice and I would never try to tell somebody that they should wear gear. They know they should. They choose not to. Smokers know smoking isn't healthy. They choose to anyway. I don't know why it's hard to understand.

My point was that they have a right to not be harassed as long as they do it where they're allowed. I couldn't care less if you rolled up smooshed bugs and smoked those fuckers till you died of fly aids, it's your choice.

People rag on you here for a lot of things. Every one of them was a personal choice you made regardless of what we think about it. Smokers feel the same way.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote