The correct side of the line: X |

You: | X

I had to go there

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #72
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
I know how people let themselves go, but I dont understand why they dont put in the effort needed to see a doc for help, or eat right (hard as it is), or to exercise (tho I know it sucks).
Cost-benefit analysis

Food is one of the small pleasures in life that are available to anyone. Sometimes the only pleasure.

"Ideal" weight supposedly has long-term benefits (assuming you're not taken beforehand by a motor vehicle accident, or cancer, or autoerotic asphyxiation).

If your job and lifestyle don't require much physicality, though, the short-term benefits aren't always a big deal. I managed to go almost a decade without getting on a plane. The area where I live has no hills, and virtually no stairs. My job primarily involves thinking and typing. So what would I get that's worth giving up on the foods I enjoy, and my all-too-limited "free time"?
Old 07-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #73
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

A (very large, like second belly hanging over the belt big) lady that I work with came into work smiling this morning. She was telling all the other girls about how she has lost another whooping 10 lbs this summer. Everyone was congratulating her on her efforts and how good she must feel. She was totally taking it all in.

She fucking had gastric bypass done over the winter.

THAT, I can't stand.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #74
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

You get to see your dick, touch your toes, actually sit without flopping on the couch, have women hit on you, fit in your car seat, buy clothes that actually look and fit good, take your shirt off in the summer, have more energy at all times, have higher self esteem.

Those are just a few benefits I can think of offhand to be in shape. Living a longer life would probably be the best benefit I can think of.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:28 PM   #75
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownroad View Post
Cost-benefit analysis

Food is one of the small pleasures in life that are available to anyone. Sometimes the only pleasure.

"Ideal" weight supposedly has long-term benefits (assuming you're not taken beforehand by a motor vehicle accident, or cancer, or autoerotic asphyxiation).

If your job and lifestyle don't require much physicality, though, the short-term benefits aren't always a big deal. I managed to go almost a decade without getting on a plane. The area where I live has no hills, and virtually no stairs. My job primarily involves thinking and typing. So what would I get that's worth giving up on the foods I enjoy, and my all-too-limited "free time"?

Hmmm, but lets look at this "cost analysis" you brought up.

Doesnt it cost more to OVERindulge on those small pleasures than it would be to eat healthy portions of such? Eat 2 cookies a day for pleasure, a bag a week. Sit in front of the tv and eat a BAG of cookies or chips a DAY, way more expensive.

Unless there exists a medical problem, you can eat the foods you want, with a minimal amount of exercise (think everyday movements, no actual exercise) and not become "fat" or obese.

There is no reason other than overindulging to the point of the ridiculous (or medical)that would cause someone to become obese. Im not talking fat, or overweight, im talking OBESE.

I eat all the foods I want, in reasonable amounts, including fast food, junk like chocolate, cookies, candy, etc and even at least a soda a day and while I have started walking some, I dont exercise constantly and I am not obese or fat while still getting my pleasures from food and not overindulging.

(FTR-I have been in the position to be overweight and overindulging with zero exercise. Needing the overindulgence is one of those "excuses". Like- Im so stressed, thats why I drink 3 Mt. Dews a day. Excuse for poor eating decision.)
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #76
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
You get to see your dick, touch your toes, actually sit without flopping on the couch, have women hit on you, fit in your car seat, buy clothes that actually look and fit good, take your shirt off in the summer, have more energy at all times, have higher self esteem.

Those are just a few benefits I can think of offhand to be in shape. Living a longer life would probably be the best benefit I can think of.
Truth!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #77
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

I get annoyed at the grocery store because your basically penalized by trying to eat healthy. We eat mainly meat, fish, veggies and fruit and very little else...egg whites and stuff sure but we eat pretty healthy overall. We will easily spend $150 each week at the store.

If we ate Ramen noodles and boxed processed foods we could spend 1/2 of that. Add in the cost of a gym membership at probably 20-30 each a month.

sure I agree 100% I feel better when I eat right and I'm in shape but it's expensive and takes effort....
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #78
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post

Not all of those just apply to fat people. I have big shoulders and fitting in an airline seat is near impossible Adults sitting next to me are going to get a face full of my shoulder. A lot or car seat are too narrow as well. Shirts are also hard to buy because to get them to "fit" I have to buy an extra XL. I'm only 5'10" and XL shirts usually end up being too long and/or extra baggy in the waist.

I can however still see my dick and touch my toes.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #79
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiergirl View Post
I get annoyed at the grocery store because your basically penalized by trying to eat healthy. We eat mainly meat, fish, veggies and fruit and very little else...egg whites and stuff sure but we eat pretty healthy overall. We will easily spend $150 each week at the store.

If we ate Ramen noodles and boxed processed foods we could spend 1/2 of that. Add in the cost of a gym membership at probably 20-30 each a month.

sure I agree 100% I feel better when I eat right and I'm in shape but it's expensive and takes effort....
Thats part of the problem too, takes time effort and sometimes a bit mor emoney to eat healthy as opposed to hitting the drive thru for a bunch of happy meals for the kids
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #80
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiergirl View Post

I'm probably a different case because I don't eat much meat, but when I am watching what I eat I spend so much less. Chips, cookies and sodas are expensive. And add a severe lack of portion control to that and it gets pricey for me. But I think that is because I will only eat meat for a couple meals a week when I am watching my weight.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote