azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
It's not his fault.

The school system failed him.

JC
I was thinking the same thing. Though, I think the problem is somewhere in the middle between the two arguments. It could be said that anyone going into this profession "for the money" would be a little off-kilter. But, it's certainly fair to want to have a fair wage for a fair job done. And, of COURSE parents should be doing more... welcome to the planet, this your first day?

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #72
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
It's not his fault.

The school system failed him.

JC
Wait I thought it waqs because he was molested, now I am all confused
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #73
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Wait I thought it waqs because he was molested, now I am all confused
Molested by a teacher?

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #74
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Funny, i've never heard a teacher say, "pay me more, and the kids will learn more", just a lot of "pay me more, because at 34000$

Im sorry your too young and naive to understand anything but your own fucked up logic.
Did you read the OP's article or did you go to school in Rhode Island? $34k is pretty good pay for something like teaching where you have great benefits, easy hours, summers off (don't hand me this "I really dont' have summer off" bullshit because many teachers I know brag about summers off), the possibility of not needing knowledge above a 5th grader, and oh yeah, no great liability because you are union backed which is why you can't even get fired for putting a hit out on a student. We want to blame the higher ups, just like I'm sure you do at your job (it's not my fault, it's my boss' fault. No way I'm just a fuck up), when often times the blame can be laid on ourselves.

I just love that last argument. By that logic we should just go find the oldest person in the world and name them Ruler of the Universe since it's obvious there is a correlation between age and knowing everything.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #75
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

34k is a good starting pay? Its fucking shit. They deserve 50k to start out, at least. Fuck sakes, im on workers comp, and I make 34k a year with many of my bills paid by insurance, and it still isnt that much!

I dont know what world you live in, but i'll be fucked if any teacher should work for 34k/year. Thats 650/week, BEFORE taxes!! After rent/utilities, car and insurance, food, and student loans, what the fuck are you supposed to do? Become a fucking hermit so you can be stressed out at work all fucking day?

Where I work (go back next month), I make 65K before overtime (averaged about 75 the two years before last year), with 0 post secondary education, and full benefits. And its in no way harder than dealing with 30kids for 8 hours a day, and their shitty ass schoolboard. And im still far from fucking loaded!

So no, 34k is nothing. Its not a good starting pay, its a not a good anything. Unless your content living with almost nothing, after working through university with 60k in loans.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.

Last edited by Apoc; 03-06-2010 at 02:22 PM..
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #76
Apoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post

I just love that last argument. By that logic we should just go find the oldest person in the world and name them Ruler of the Universe since it's obvious there is a correlation between age and knowing everything.
Oh, and that wasnt an arguement, it was a statement. Your young, and while your not stupid, you dont have a fucking clue what your talking about. Teaching is not easy, not in the least. If your too ignorant to know that, its your problem, not ours.

Theres more to it than 8 hours at school. Teaching is a 24/7 job, with no overtime pay, asshole bosses, and idiot parents to deal with.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #77
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Oh, and that wasnt an arguement, it was a statement. Your young, and while your not stupid, you dont have a fucking clue what your talking about. Teaching is not easy, not in the least. If your too ignorant to know that, its your problem, not ours.

Theres more to it than 8 hours at school. Teaching is a 24/7 job, with no overtime pay, asshole bosses, and idiot parents to deal with.
24/7 job? So they're on call like a doctor? "Shit I'm getting paged by jimmy who needs help with his pre-algebra at 3am. Gotta go in". Which reminds me, residents I believe only get in the mid 30s starting out and even after becoming a doctor I don't believe their pay is much above 80k which is crap considering the years of school and training and the fact they got a real Ph.D in something other than "public administrative" or sociology. Plus their school debts are 10x worse than a teachers out of western bumble fuck community college.

My mother is a teacher's aid and my cousin's husband is a teacher. So yes, I have a clue what I'm talking about. I've seen the work, I know the hours, and see the pay. Also a teacher with a masters will get more than 34k because they have a masters. I was using 34k in reference to Georgia. I saw in other more expensive places to live like New York the starting pay was much higher. 34k in Georgia is probably like making $50k in NYC.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #78
Apoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Plus their school debts are 10x worse than a teachers out of western bumble fuck community college.
Funny, up here at least, when you finish med school, and sign a contract with a hospital, that hospital pays off their student loans. At least thats what a guy I went to HS told me, who is now an orthopedic surgeon. And I believe my friend paula had the same deal, even though she had very little debt.

Oh, and her contract signing bonus was big enough for her to build a home.

I dunno what 34k is in goergia, but I live in bumfuck nowhere, and 34k is nothing.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #79
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I dunno what 34k is in goergia, but I live in bumfuck nowhere, and 34k is nothing.
The median household income in America is right at $52k. It isn't great, but $34k isn't terrible for someone just starting their career, especially when the amount of time school is out of session is factored in.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #80
Apoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
The median household income in America is right at $52k. It isn't great, but $34k isn't terrible for someone just starting their career, especially when the amount of time school is out of session is factored in.
with vacation, stardays, floaters, and banked time, I still end up with 6 weeks off per year, and I make double that. I wouldnt wanna try to raise a family on my wages alone. I mean, I have fairly expensive taste for toys, but if im going to work everyday, I deserve to be able to have more than necessities, and so does a teacher. 50k is an acceptable wage for what they do.