Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-22-2010, 12:37 AM   #71
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

I think the OP was talking about bikers showing up to pay tribute on bikes. not someone that only has a bike and that is the only way they can get there. if that is the case yeah. park it around back.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:35 AM   #72
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

To bikers its what we live to do. Pardon the pun. Its part of you. You honor a fallen brother of 2 wheels by continueing on 2. Its not a matter of asking for exceptance or permissions from people. Well its between u, ur fallen brothern, and God. Each day I ride I thank the big man for not only allowing me to do so but to watch over those we've left behind while they watch over us. I'm not trying to be spooky or anything but as I said its part of my universe. My church if u will. I make no apologies for tt and if u don't like it. Oh well. I'll honor my brothern of 2 my way. Shit if it wouldn't have been snowin I was gg to ride my bike in my dads funeral. Its when I'm riding when I feel the closest to spiritual things.

Oh well sorry rambling on a bit...
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:35 AM   #73
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Agree with Ebbs...my bike is my main commuter. If you don't like bikes, fine, but the motorcyle isn't what killed your kid. Inexperience, pushing too hard, someone else's neglegence or bad luck did.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:33 AM   #74
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I agree with Gas... for me... riding means something.... paying tribute to my fallen brother/sister...

however, that doesn't mean it has to be displayed for everyone. if you believe that they're there watching you from above (or below) they'll see your tribute ride regardless of if it happens for all on lookers to see or you park quietly in back.

the ones that must ride and SHOW their riding and what not isn't about paying tribute... it's about showing their presence.... and in the OP's situation... possibly upsetting a grieving family further.

just my
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #75
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 View Post
Your still comparing apples to oranges. Riding a motorcycle to a funeral where the death involved a motorcycle is not the same as wearing jeans cause the deceased liked jeans or playing a guitar cause he liked guitar. Parents don't fear jeans and guitars. My mom has a VERY real fear of my motorcycle and I have to convience her often that it makes me happy and that it is worth the risk.
Hokie - I had to think about how to explain this one. In some ways it was the lifestyle that caused his death. His mother hated the way our lives were going, we were wasting our lives you know. we lived in campers, had crappy jobs and spent our free time being idiots with guitars,beer, and campfires. we thought life was perfect.
he died one night by falling down a flight of steps after drinking too much. He had found out he had a terminal disease and had gone on a binge to forget about it.

after thinking about this more, as a parent I would answer this in this manner. I have two adult boys. I may not always agree with the things they do, or who they do them with, but I always love my kids and want them to enjoy thier lives. even if it means doing things I may not think are responsible or the right thing to do. if they die doing those things, yes I will be upset but I'm not going to hold their lifes choices against anyone else. if their friends show up to honor their memory in a manner other than that of the family. I will still be happy just to have them there.

I have lost quite a few family members and friends at young ages, to guns, cars, bikes, alcohol, and drugs. no one freaked out at the funeral if you drive there in a car or on a bike. no one freaked out if you hoisted a last beer to someone who died of alcohol. people honor the dead in their own way.

only time I've had someone freak out on me was two weeks after my cousin died in an auto accident. he hit a tree at 85MPH. two weeks later I did the exact same thing and walked away. his mother went ape shit on me. at 17 it's hard to hear someone scream that you should have died like her son. i didn't hold it against her but it was weird to hear.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #76
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
To bikers its what we live to do. Pardon the pun. Its part of you. You honor a fallen brother of 2 wheels by continueing on 2.
So tormenting your friend's mother the day she buries her son is paying tribute to him? At what point does completely disrespecting someone's mother become noble, exactly?

Outside the context of this post, I agree 100%. But if a friend of mine passes away in a bike accident and their mother is taking it out on bikes themselves, I can't imagine being narcisistic enough to show up on two wheels and thumbing my nose at my friend's mother. Much less calling it a tribute to him at that point.

If it were ME that passed away, my GOOD friends will be the ones consoling my mother and helping her through. Not putting her through more pain at my funeral, regardless of whether or not she's being rational at the time or not.

Last edited by fasternyou929; 04-22-2010 at 10:14 AM..
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #77
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
So tormenting your friend's mother the day she buries her son is paying tribute to him? At what point does completely disrespecting someone's mother become noble, exactly?

Outside the context of this post, I agree 100%. But if a friend of mine passes away in a bike accident and their mother is taking it out on bikes themselves, I can't imagine being narcisistic enough to show up on two wheels and thumbing my nose at my mother's friend. Much less calling it a tribute to him at that point.

If it were ME that passed away, my GOOD friends will be the ones consoling my mother and helping her through. Not putting her through more pain at my funeral, regardless of whether or not she's being rational at the time or not.

You ride a rocket, you wouldn't understand.

Brub brub brub brub brub!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #78
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
You ride a rocket, you wouldn't understand.

Brub brub brub brub brub!
Why isn't anybody paying attention to us?!?
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #79
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

No-I understand linking you to the deceased on two wheels-but a funeral is for the living. It does no one any good creating an issue that will go as a memory of the fallen-whether you want it to or not.

Honor the dead at your own memorial to them-not the one put on by the parents.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #80
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
...ride into the funeral home and do fucking burnouts right in front of the coffin as while some tasty bitches poor beer into the casket.
Screw the mom....
Ride or die
tits or get the fuck out old lady.

We'd probably hire some strippers to give the cadaver a lap dance.
I'd actually go to that funeral.

I hate funerals because I see them as a waste of time along with graveyards being a waste of land that the living can use to well live. But people see a need for them for some reason, and since no one is closer to a person than their mom I wouldn't out of respect for the mom.

I'm curious if there will be motorcycle cops.