Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #71
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
True freedom is a nice concept in the abstract but it is impossible to implement. There are too many things one person desires to be free to do that impinge upon the freedoms of others. True freedom for all cannot exist in a functioning society without common sense.
Fixed it for you.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #72
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

Quote:
True freedom is a nice concept in the abstract but it is impossible to implement. There are too many things one person desires to be free to do that impinge upon the freedoms of others. True freedom for all cannot exist in a functioning society.
True freedom disappeared the second 2 cavemen got together and formed a clan. (Bible people and AMJ-refer to Adam and Eve, Adam lost true freedom the minute Eve opened her yap)
The thought of no rules scares the heck out of any sane person.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #73
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Fixed it for you.
There is nothing to fix. True freedom is an illusion as demonstrated by this thread. If I am free to smoke as I wish it means the rest of the public is loosing the freedom to be free from that smoke. If, on the other hand, regulations are put in place to make the public free from my smoke it comes at the expense of my freedom to smoke.

There is no common sense involved in the concept of true freedom. It is black and white. Complaining about when this country started to "loose its freedom" makes the incorrect assumption that it was ever truly free and harks back to a time that never actually existed.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #74
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Damn all this and I was just stating how I thought it was funny how the smokers had to scramble here to find a place to get their fix
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #75
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
There is nothing to fix. True freedom is an illusion as demonstrated by this thread. If I am free to smoke as I wish it means the rest of the public is loosing the freedom to be free from that smoke. If, on the other hand, regulations are put in place to make the public free from my smoke it comes at the expense of my freedom to smoke.

There is no common sense involved in the concept of true freedom. It is black and white. Complaining about when this country started to "loose its freedom" makes the incorrect assumption that it was ever truly free and harks back to a time that never actually existed.
But your concept is flawed because the public IS free from your smoke, they just have to go around it. And nobody here is even advocating for the right to smoke wherever "I damn well please!" No, we're arguing for a common-sense compromise.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #76
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
The propaganda about smoking really seems to have set in with a lot of people here. The funny thing is much of that propaganda is paid for by the cigarette companies themselves. I'm amazed that so many of you are able to function on a daily basis without ever having anything intrude upon your personal existence. If you go out in public you can expect to have to deal with, you guessed it, the public. This includes occasionally having brief encounters with things you may not want to smell, hear, or see.
I have never said anything about cancer, my problem with it is it's disgusting. It is disgusting, that's not propaganda.

There are certain places where I expect it and I choose not go there if I don't want to be around. Work is not one of those places. I do not work in a place where it isn't expected or encouraged. If you can't man up and do your work without needing a smoke, you are a sissy. That's not my problem. It isn't professional to have to skip out on work every hour for an addiction or make the entire office suffer for it.

Bars are one place it is expected, that's part of a bar. Outlawing it there is stupid and you are driving them other places where they don't need to be to smoke up.

Restaurants, no, hold your fucking dirty habit til after you finish your meal and go ruin the interior of your car.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #77
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I have never said anything about cancer, my problem with it is it's disgusting. It is disgusting, that's not propaganda.

There are certain places where I expect it and I choose not go there if I don't want to be around. Work is not one of those places. I do not work in a place where it is expected or should be encouraged. If you can't man up and do your work without needing a smoke, you are a sissy. That's not my problem. It isn't professional to have to skip out on work every hour for an addiction or make the entire office suffer for it.

Bars are one place it is expected, that's part of a bar. Outlawing it there is stupid and you are driving them other places where they don't need to be to smoke up.

Restaurants, no, hold your fucking dirty habit til after you finish your meal and go ruin the interior of your car.

All very valid points. It IS disgusting, it smells horrible and can be very offensive.

And you should never be forced to eat somewhere that stinks, or work somewhere that stinks, etc. etc. That's why YOU have freedom of choice as well.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #78
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post

There are certain places where I expect it and I choose not go there if I don't want to be around. Work is not one of those places. I do not work in a place where it isn't expected or encouraged. If you can't man up and do your work without needing a smoke, you are a sissy. That's not my problem. It isn't professional to have to skip out on work every hour for an addiction or make the entire office suffer for it.

What happens when someone decides that dirty gingers are disgusting. Or, that motorcycles are a danger to the world around them? Or, come on... you have more sense than all this.

You have a choice. Use your power of choice rather than just trying to take someone else's freedoms away by imposing your choice.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #79
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
What happens when someone decides that dirty gingers are disgusting. Or, that motorcycles are a danger to the world around them? Or, come on... you have more sense than all this.

You have a choice. Use your power of choice rather than just trying to take someone else's freedoms away by imposing your choice.
Dirty gingers ARE disgusting. However, as long as two people cannot agree, there will be rules. And rules are a guarantee to piss one of the two people off.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #80
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
And you should never be forced to eat somewhere that stinks, or work somewhere that stinks, etc. etc. That's why YOU have freedom of choice as well.
You don't really have that choice prior to enacting legislation, most places offered smoking sections to make that extra profit and they didn't have good ventilation and the smokers ruinied the joint. You pretty much couldn't go to these places. Office buildings that allowed smoking were utterly disgusting. If companies want to create sections of buildings or seating areas that provide proper ventilation for you guys, that's great. If they don't, I am sorry I will support every move to ban you guys from everything.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote