Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 12-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #71
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Other than stalling out in first a couple of times, I can't think of anything really embarassing.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:45 PM   #72
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
"Miami Vice theme"...

The 88 600R Ninja I posted about above looked like this one...not quite as sleek as my R6 is.

Funny, that looks remarkably similar to my 14 year newer 250

HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #73
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

This was a two for one sale.

My friend Mark and I ride to the local Dairy Queen to check out what's going on. ( back about 1983) Mark is on his RD400 and I'm on my '74 H1 500 triple.

Mark goes to leave but forgot to put up his kickstand. His intention was to go left out of the parking lot but did a 540* on the kickstand and ended up going to the right instead. Never missed a beat and wheelied away.

The girl I was talking to asked me "what are you going to do to top that?" So I decide to do a burnout.

I'm smoking the tire real good in second gear when the master link breaks on my chain. My chain goes zinging across the parking lot.

Since I didn't have an extra master link with me, I had a nice 1/2 mile push to one of my friend's house.

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:26 PM   #74
was92v
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
My very first bike was a 1988 Ninja 600R and I had no clue how to ride it other than 1 down and 4 up...right hand for the brake and left hand for the clutch.

I drove it off of the lot and took it into a neighborhood behind the dealership to ride around before hitting the busy city streets at 5:00 pm during rush hour.

Well the bike cut off and would not start back up several blocks away so I parked it and walked back to the dealership to get some help. The guy looked at me and asked if I flipped the tank to reserve. I didn't even know what he was talking about but when it registered about a second later I just turned around and walked back to the bike and sure enough...it started.

I'm surprised I got home alive...but I did.

LOL, that reminded me of doing the same thing. When I was 17 I bought my first new bike, a 250 Yamaha 2-stroke
street bike. It fouled the plugs about 2 miles from the shop and they came out and put some new bullets in it. Ran great and away I went. The next day I was coming down the street and it sputtered and died about a block from the shop. I was just sure it had fouled the plugs again and pushed it to the shop and told them just what I thought about those plugs! The mechanic came out to look at the bike, turned the petcock to reserve, kicked it twice and it started. He gave me "That Look" over his glasses and suggested I might find a gas station. I felt like exactly what I was, a dumb ass kid. I learned something that day.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #75
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Well a few of us mounted our bikes to leave the restaurant, I go to start mine and NOTHING, my friend looks at me half stupid and smiling, calmly walks over to me sitting on my bike and kicks up my kickstand My cbr has the kickstand kill switch DUH!!!!!!!!
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:52 AM   #76
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Stalled a bunch of times recently... cannot get used to the TLR's clutch...

Stalled a bunch of times in the past...

Fell over at a gas station in Arkansas...

Allowed my week old bike to fall over onto the sidewalk because I didn't have the kickstand completely down...

Nothing really else...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:37 PM   #77
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Here is one I did before. I never use the kill switch to turn my bike off. I always use the key because if I don't I usually leave the key in. I let a buddy ride my bike to try it out and when he finished he killed the kill switch and turned the key off. Well I'm fixing to leave (I'm about 50miles from my home) and I turn the bike on. The headlight comes on and I hit the start button. Nothing. I hit it again and I figured I killed my battery somehow.

So I run and try to push it off. Nothing. I run and push it some more. Nothing. I roll it down a hill and let off the clutch. It still wouldn't start. I'm getting pissed at this point (and as Murphy's motorcycle law states. There were girls + friends to view this) and start pushing it up hill to try it one more time. I push it up hill and then notice my kill switch in the off position (After I pushed it up hill of course). I turn it on and the bike starts right up.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #78
t-homo
WSB Champion

Sorry smittie, i was laughing at you as i read that. My worst was when I was in my garage, i had all of the fairings off, tried putting it on the rearstand on my own (something i have done many times before and since this incident) and the stand wasn't lined up right. I ended up trying to hold my bike with 1 arm with bending over lining up the rear stand. Bike got over too far and I didn't have a great enough grip to stop it completely. Luckily it was a slow fall, but still hurt my pride more than the bike.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #79
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Stalled a bunch of times recently... cannot get used to the TLR's clutch...

Stalled a bunch of times in the past...

Fell over at a gas station in Arkansas...

Allowed my week old bike to fall over onto the sidewalk because I didn't have the kickstand completely down...

Nothing really else...
Ok... thought of two more...

The day I got my first street bike I drove back home and had my roommate help me unload it out of the truck behind a shopping plaza that had a good hill. I took off after we got it unloaded and I decided to go for a little ride, going the other way. Prolly a half mile down the road I turn into a residential area and the bike dies. Try to start it and it turns and turns and turns and turns... nothing. MOTHERFUCKER!!! JUST BOUGHT THIS FUCKING THING AND IT"S DEAD!!!! Start pushing it home... maybe 2 miles later... it hits me... "Petcock"... it was in the 'off' position. Turn it on, push the starter, it purrs like a kitten.

A couple years ago I stopped to get gas, knowing that my battery was suspect. Sure enough, hit the button and it turns over once then clickclickclickclick... I push it away from the pumps and a guy who was going in to pay said he'd push... he had a bike and blah, blah, blah... Awesome. So he pushes me, dump the clutch, it starts... I wave and get ready to pull out in traffic... fuckin' stall it. He was kind enough not to call me a dumbass and push started me again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Here is one I did before. I never use the kill switch to turn my bike off. I always use the key because if I don't I usually leave the key in. I let a buddy ride my bike to try it out and when he finished he killed the kill switch and turned the key off. Well I'm fixing to leave (I'm about 50miles from my home) and I turn the bike on. The headlight comes on and I hit the start button. Nothing. I hit it again and I figured I killed my battery somehow.

So I run and try to push it off. Nothing. I run and push it some more. Nothing. I roll it down a hill and let off the clutch. It still wouldn't start. I'm getting pissed at this point (and as Murphy's motorcycle law states. There were girls + friends to view this) and start pushing it up hill to try it one more time. I push it up hill and then notice my kill switch in the off position (After I pushed it up hill of course). I turn it on and the bike starts right up.
You shouldn't have said shit, push started it, and acted like a super-hero.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:56 PM   #80
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
Sorry smittie, i was laughing at you as i read that. My worst was when I was in my garage, i had all of the fairings off, tried putting it on the rearstand on my own (something i have done many times before and since this incident) and the stand wasn't lined up right. I ended up trying to hold my bike with 1 arm with bending over lining up the rear stand. Bike got over too far and I didn't have a great enough grip to stop it completely. Luckily it was a slow fall, but still hurt my pride more than the bike.
I did nearly the same thing- I had just finished cleaning my chain, and was letting it down. I must have tried to kick the side stand down and it didn't go all the way, but bounced back. I caught mine by the passenger grab rail, and hauled it upright with one hand. Used the other to get the rearstand in position, then heaved on the grab rail and stand at the same time to get all the way on the stand. I was shaking pretty good after I saw that it wouldn't fall over. Had to step away for a while before I put the side stand down all the way and took it off the rear stand.