Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #71
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
What are those silly alpha-numeric combo's in the CLS column?
It was the quickest thing I could find. I was hoping for a gtr beating a zr1 on the track.. BUt, it was quicker and easier this way..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #72
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

What I don't understand is why someone doesn't buy a 999R and wipe the track with the entire class.

Oh and the Buell is FAR from stock Bro... really.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #73
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
What I don't understand is why someone doesn't buy a 999R and wipe the track with the entire class.

Oh and the Buell is FAR from stock Bro... really.
Read this...

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=176482

From Mr Buell to Mr Dewan

Dear Mr. DeWan,
I do not read Superbike Planet, so am not aware of what they published and cannot comment. It appears that your comments are aimed at the Buells racing in the AMA, so to that I can respond.
The Daytona Sport Bike class was created by AMA Pro Racing as a class that would enable many brands to compete. This is similar to what has been done in the automotive Grand-Am series where Porsche, Pontiac, Cadillac, BMW, Jaguar, etc. all compete together with different displacements and engine types. During the season if any brand should appear to have an advantage, rules changes will be adopted to slow down that brand, It has worked in Grand-Am, and hopefully, will work in the AMA.
The factory backed 600's in DSB are very refined, as the top speeds of 180 mph at Daytona show. Great application of technology from huge companies, and out of reach for all but a few chosen riders. On the other hand, the 1125R's running in the class are very close to stock, and they make a very economical ride for talented privateers like Danny Eslick, Michael Barnes, Shawn Higbee, Taylor Knapp, etc. As an es-privateer AMA racer, I applaud what the AMA has done to break the stranglehold of highly funded factory teams. I am also quite happy to see the Buell patented American innovations like fuel in the frame and ZTL brakes be shown as competitive on the track.
If you check the facts of split times, you would see that other brands have higher top speeds, and that Danny's split times show he is quickest in the handling sections of the track. That would certainly indicate e don't have a power advantage. Of course the 1125 can make more power, but we are not pushing that at all since the goal is to have competitive racing between many brands. After Road Atlanta, the weight was shifted to add 15lbs to the Buell and remove 5lbs from everyone else. We are fine with that, as we understand the AMA is learning what makes the competition most close.
So how do I feel about my company and racing? Well, all of Buell is only 200 people, including design, test analysis, accounting, IS, HR, assembly, shipping, maintenance, etc. Ducati has more than that in their race department, and Honda has thousands in the racing alone - 170,000 total. Our race department is six people. So I'm proud of this little team. I'm proud that our patented innovations work. I'm proud to be part of enabling guys like Danny to prove their skills.
We at Buell are working towards getting a Superbike version of the 1125 ready. Yes, we'll be under the displacement limit, but the 1125 is all we have. Yes, our staff is tiny, but they work harder than anyone else. So, what are our chances when even a company like Ducati is a behemoth compared to us? Pretty slim admittedly, but we deserve respect that at least we we will be out there. No one in the US has tried harder, and we'll continue to do so.

signed by Erik Buell
Old 05-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #74
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I read it and he's full of shit. A casual glance reveals chain drive and other changes from stock... I don't know, but I'd have a hard time crowing if my bike had an almost double displacement advantage from a motor that I outsourced from one of those "huge corporations" he's blathering on about. Or are you going to try and convince everyone that Rotax is a "small 200 man company too"? It's bad enough that he's trying to convince everyone that he's doing this with zero support from HD.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #75
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I read it and he's full of shit. A casual glance reveals chain drive and other changes from stock... I don't know, but I'd have a hard time crowing if my bike had an almost double displacement advantage from a motor that I outsourced from one of those "huge corporations" he's blathering on about. Or are you going to try and convince everyone that Rotax is a "small 200 man company too"? It's bad enough that he's trying to convince everyone that he's doing this with zero support from HD.
exactly! looks like about 5000 employees at brp-rotax btw.
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #76
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

I really like Buells, and I want to ride one. They intrigue me- particularly the XB12S. That looks like it has almost everything I want in a streetbike.

I don't, however, think an 1125cc bike should be racing in the 600cc class, ever. It's not like in the old days with the XB where Buell could claim that they were handicapped by being air-cooled; the 1125R is definitely a liquid-cooled gigantic twin, and should have no excuse for not being competitive with literbikes from the big 4.

I understand Buell is a small operation, but what you're forgetting is that they have some help. The engines for the 1125s are outsourced to Rotax (who definitely know what they're doing), and they have financial backing from HD, who definitely have some deep pockets.

Erik, stop making excuses. Run the 1125 in Superbike or get out.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:13 AM   #77
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

The Buell is classed to run in the 600cc Superstock AMA...and they are winning. I think some of you are just fucking jealous.

And Eslick is running damn good races.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:22 AM   #78
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Go BUELL

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 AM   #79
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Go BUELL

hrmmm yup thatlooks like a chain drive
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #80
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
hrmmm yup thatlooks like a chain drive
?? I don't see your point.. It allows for gearing changes to suit the track. I can do the same mod for a couple hundred bucks. It's not making the bike any more powerful. Just changing the revs at a given speed..

Is he running Corsa III's? Does he have the stock turn signals on there???