Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #81
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Here's the problem. The problem is, the PUBLIC is responsible for the budgets set forth in public schools. Here in Texas, we don't have a state income tax. That means, property taxes pay for public schools. If they want to give more to those in the public sector, that means higher taxes. When was they last time you heard people saying 'HELLS YEAH, I WANT TO PAY HIGHER TAXES!!'

It's a position that people should be more passionate about. I know people here that complain they are never planning on having children, and for that reason they shouldn't have to pay for schools...

It is truly one of those circles. Can't pay them more unless more people want to pay more...

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #82
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I'm one of those benefits peoples you mentioned, 8 years left until i start leeching off the system

My dad also is a vol firefighter, he gets all kinds of tax breaks, any costs that he can associate with the fire company is a tax write off, plus they are going to give him a $500/month retirement if he does 20 years volunteer service with them, it kicks in at 65, and he gets an extra $100/month for every 5 years he does after his first 20.
$500/mo? What is that going to pay for, his cell and cable bill?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #83
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

And I'm not sure how many teachers are union, but I'm betting it's a minority. They can get fired easily, for petty political reasons.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #84
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Zoomie, those people with no kids who complain, need to realize that someone else paid their education for them too.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #85
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
$500/mo? What is that going to pay for, his cell and cable bill?
umm.. on top of a pension from a real job, an extra 500$/month is a nice bonus. Its not like volunteers have to be there everyday for 12 hours.

Its over half the payment of a Camaro, and thats a nice retirement gift to yourself. I dont imagine he plans on living on 500/month when he retires.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #86
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Zoomie, those people with no kids who complain, need to realize that someone else paid their education for them too.
Oh, I know that. No one WANTS an uneducated society. But, no one really wants to pay for it. Hell, people don't WANT To pay for their own children

I feel for teachers. But, it really is much like any other profession - those that give a shit and put in extra time and attention are better at their job, and are usually the ones that get chewed up and spit out by the "job."

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #87
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
And I'm not sure how many teachers are union, but I'm betting it's a minority. They can get fired easily, for petty political reasons.
NYS is mostly union..

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #88
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

This is one of those threads where I can hardly formulate a response for the incredible amount of fail by one poster. Seriously, all joking aside, his attitude and propensity for residing in left field actually scares me.

When I was a teacher, it almost consumed me, and I worked hard to create a balance. I was at school from 7am-6pm every day. I spent most Sundays either planning or marking. When I had to learn a new song for a class, I spent countless hours practicing it and learning to play. When there was a school production, all the teachers chipped in to build sets, run acting classes, etc.

I worked an average of 60 hour weeks (at school) and probably about another 10 or so outside of school. So yes, I had time off, but I when I was working I worked 70 hours a week. Oh...and all of this was for 40,000 a year BEFORE taxes.

Edit: I should add that I'm not whining or complaining about this. I just find it really hard to believe that someone is judging an entire profession based on a few bad apples. I'm well educated and worked my ass off to do the very best I could do in my chosen profession. It's just astounding that someone would be so negative about it.

Last edited by CrazyKell; 03-07-2010 at 03:57 PM..
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #89
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
This is one of those threads where I can hardly formulate a response for the incredible amount of fail by one poster. Seriously, all joking aside, his attitude and propensity for residing in left field actually scares me.

When I was a teacher, it almost consumed me, and I worked hard to create a balance. I was at school from 7am-6pm every day. I spent most Sundays either planning or marking. When I had to learn a new song for a class, I spent countless hours practicing it and learning to play. When there was a school production, all the teachers chipped in to build sets, run acting classes, etc.

I worked an average of 60 hour weeks (at school) and probably about another 10 or so outside of school. So yes, I had time off, but I when I was working I worked 70 hours a week. Oh...and all of this was for 40,000 a year BEFORE taxes.

Edit: I should add that I'm not whining or complaining about this. I just find it really hard to believe that someone is judging an entire profession based on a few bad apples. I'm well educated and worked my ass off to do the very best I could do in my chosen profession. It's just astounding that someone would be so negative about it.
Yet you hurl personal insults like a child. I know they say when you teach you learn but I didn't think it was from the kids.

Do you think that other people in other professions don't work hard hours like that? Your average CEO and even doctors would dream of a 60-70 hour work week. How many people do you think come home and just forget their work until they clock in the next day? How many people travel for weeks on end for projects outside of their area. When I moved pool tables one thing I noticed is just about every house had an office. Why have an office if you "just go home" unlike teachers.

Our school systems are failing miserably and America is the laughingstock of the other countries when it comes to education. Oddly enough our colleges are top notch which draws students from around the world. College teachers are not paid much better than public school teachers (and they HAVE to have much greater knowledge than a simple education degree). They still aren't paid as good as some Union monkey at a GM assemly plant but that's another subject.

I'd be more open to teachers getting better pay IF they can turn the education system around. You don't do it by demanding more money, you do it through hard work and working with the people above you for realistic solutoins. After that, then you demand more money and rightfully so.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #90
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
with vacation, stardays, floaters, and banked time, I still end up with 6 weeks off per year, and I make double that. I wouldnt wanna try to raise a family on my wages alone. I mean, I have fairly expensive taste for toys, but if im going to work everyday, I deserve to be able to have more than necessities, and so does a teacher. 50k is an acceptable wage for what they do.
What does "deserve" have to do with it? Teachers are paid what the market will bear. With pay where it is there are already more teachers than teaching positions. Teachers unions are supposed to be working to increase teachers' pay but appear to be completely incompetent. As long as teachers work for the pay they currently receive that pay isn't going to significantly increase.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote