Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #81
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
Its been proven time and time again that if you build a PC that matched what you get out of the box on a given Mac you will pay just as much and sometime even more. Not to mention the support and reliability you get with Apple.

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...415_602968.htm

http://technologizer.com/2008/10/19/...ook-expensive/

there are hundreds more....

If you say so. I built a top of the line PC, with an i7 960, dual HD 5870 video cards, w/ 8gb/ram and a 10k/RPM HDD. I paid under 1000$ to build the tower. Motherboard, heatsink, fans, case, and got a free razer gaming mouse and KB with the deal. I already had the monitor.

The best Mac Desktop? They start at 2599$, right up to 5199$ CDN for the most powerful one, which is about half as powerful as the desktop I built. I could be real generous and and say 2/3 as powerful, but i'd be lying. It even uses a single two generation old HD 5770 Video card, and only 6gb ram.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #82
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
If you say so. I built a top of the line PC, with an i7 960, dual HD 5870 video cards, w/ 8gb/ram and a 10k/RPM HDD. I paid under 1000$ to build the tower. Motherboard, heatsink, fans, case, and got a free razer gaming mouse and KB with the deal. I already had the monitor.

The best Mac Desktop? They start at 2599$, right up to 5199$ CDN for the most powerful one, which is about half as powerful as the desktop I built. I could be real generous and and say 2/3 as powerful, but i'd be lying. It even uses a single two generation old HD 5770 Video card, and only 6gb ram.
Always build it my self using quality components.
So far its always worked out WAY cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #83
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:

How much would a unit with those specs cost retail from a major PC builder (with all the associated software and support that comes with it)? That seems like a more apples-to-apples (no pun intended) comparison.

I don't doubt for a second that you can build up your own custom PC from parts for a lot cheaper than a similarly configured Mac. You're also not the average customer.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #84
Apoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
How much would a unit with those specs cost retail from a major PC builder (with all the associated software and support that comes with it)? That seems like a more apples-to-apples (no pun intended) comparison.

I don't doubt for a second that you can build up your own custom PC from parts for a lot cheaper than a similarly configured Mac. You're also not the average customer.

Alienware sells similar PC's, pre-assembled, with monitors and everything, for about 2-2.5k depending on features. Still cheaper than a similar priced Mac desktop, and easily 2x more powerful.

And if the average IQ of a user is so low that he cant plug in plug-and-play parts, with a few wires and screws to assemble, then just maybe they shouldn't be allowed on a computer anyway. She might hurt herself.

Last edited by Apoc; 04-26-2011 at 02:41 PM..
Old 04-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #85
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Alienware sells similar PC's, pre-assembled, with monitors and everything, for about 2-2.5k depending on features. Still cheaper than a similar priced Mac desktop, and easily 2x more powerful.
Probably ships with a 21" widescreen LCD, all for that price too.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #86
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Quote:

And if the average IQ of a user is so low that he cant plug in plug-and-play parts, with a few wires and screws to assemble, then just maybe they shouldn't be allowed on a computer anyway. She might hurt herself.
Yeah, but they're butt-ugly.

And come on... It's not about IQ. Your average computer consumer (not builder) doesn't want to plug parts in, or do the research to find those parts. They want to open a box and get on the internet. They want one company to call when shit breaks. Like I said, you guys aren't the average consumer. Not even close.

Apple's expensive, for sure. But they've gotta provide end-to-end support for all of the hardware and software the computer comes with, and the industrial design is head and shoulders above the rest. For those folks who care about that stuff (i.e. not you), it makes sense to spend more.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #87
Apoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Yeah, but they're butt-ugly.

And come on... It's not about IQ. Your average computer consumer (not builder) doesn't want to plug parts in, or do the research to find those parts. They want to open a box and get on the internet. They want one company to call when shit breaks. Like I said, you guys aren't the average consumer. Not even close.

Apple's expensive, for sure. But they've gotta provide end-to-end support for all of the hardware and software the computer comes with, and the industrial design is head and shoulders above the rest. For those folks who care about that stuff (i.e. not you), it makes sense to spend more.
What happened to peoples need to understand how things work? This current era of dipshits saddens me.

I dont need to know what im doing to take something apart. I just need the right tools and a full vocabulary of swear words and phrases

Old 04-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #88
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

And Band-Aids. Lots of Band-Aids.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #89
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
LOL... those articles are a fucking stretch... All those little upgrades and a whole bunch of shit 99% of users would never give a fuck about... adds up to almost as much as a Mac. I mean, giving an edge to the Mac for boasting a 1900 vs 1440 pixel advantage? Who the fuck runs their 17" screen at 1900 anyway?

Anti-virus and bundled software? I use free antivirus software and have NEVER had a virus issue... and I download copious amounts of bullshit. Bundles software? Who the fuck uses that shit anyway? I'd be willing to bet that 99% of people use less than 10% of their bundled software, no matter what they get.

Mac's certainly have their place in the market, but acting like they are really needed for anything is a huge stretch.
I just went to Dell and priced a XPS 9100 with specs as close to my iMac as I could get and the Dell came out to $1339 + $1000-1200
for a 27" inch 2560 x 1440 monitor. The 27", i7 iMac is $2349. That doesnt include any software.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #90
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Quote:
What happened to peoples need to understand how things work? This current era of dipshits saddens me.

I dont need to know what im doing to take something apart. I just need the right tools and a full vocabulary of swear words and phrases
My ex has never really cared how things worked, and now our 3-yr-old is putting her through the wringer. I just had to explain (to both of them) what water towers are for.