Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 11-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #81
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
That would be a sight to see!
It wouldn't be a good sight. But give me the option of protecting my legs or protecting my nuts and ass then I'm going to protect my nuts and ass. I can live without legs.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #82
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).
Default Jump!

Swedish Dakar rally rider Annie Seel reports from the bivouac in Copiapo, Chile:

"At km 131 the track split around some ruins, and joined again after. To avoid dust I cut from right track over to the left, across a small rise. Behind the rise a 5m deep tomb opened, 2x3 wide. I rode to slow to jump and to fast to stop. Put breakes on, slide bike to the left and abandon ship. I managed to jump to the left edge while bike tumbled down. I am lucky not to go down cause the walls were impossible to climb.

Stopped some riders to call for help. A helicopter came and I climbed down with a thin rope to check bike, it was ok. We tried to pull the bike, but no. They said I must wait for the organisation truck to come and help. Took a while but then Mr Etienne Lavigne, race director, arrived in a helicopter instead. Like a true hero he climbed down with a rope, tied my bike with the real tie roses, and instructed the pilot how to lift it. Now I could continue the race, saved by the angel from above. Only suffering from painful swollen hand and aching foot"

http://thedakar.blogspot.com/2010/01...ly-raider.html

JC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01012.JPG (29.2 KB, 48 views)
Old 01-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #83
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post

Swedish Dakar rally rider Annie Seel reports from the bivouac in Copiapo, Chile:

"At km 131 the track split around some ruins, and joined again after. To avoid dust I cut from right track over to the left, across a small rise. Behind the rise a 5m deep tomb opened, 2x3 wide. I rode to slow to jump and to fast to stop. Put breakes on, slide bike to the left and abandon ship. I managed to jump to the left edge while bike tumbled down. I am lucky not to go down cause the walls were impossible to climb.

Stopped some riders to call for help. A helicopter came and I climbed down with a thin rope to check bike, it was ok. We tried to pull the bike, but no. They said I must wait for the organisation truck to come and help. Took a while but then Mr Etienne Lavigne, race director, arrived in a helicopter instead. Like a true hero he climbed down with a rope, tied my bike with the real tie roses, and instructed the pilot how to lift it. Now I could continue the race, saved by the angel from above. Only suffering from painful swollen hand and aching foot"

http://thedakar.blogspot.com/2010/01...ly-raider.html

JC
Leave it to Jesus to resurrect the dead.

Good example.

Next time you find yourself in the middle of the desert and are confronted by a hole about 6 feet wide, the best option is to "lay it down" and throw your bike in the hole.

Well, that or ride around the hole.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:21 PM   #84
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

I'm not sure jumping off your bike to avoid falling in a pit constitutes 'laying it down'.

Awesome story though! I espeically like how she was concerned about not being able to climb the walls, rather than bouncing off them on the way down.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #85
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
I'm not sure jumping off your bike to avoid falling in a pit constitutes 'laying it down'.
Close enough for me.

JC
Old 01-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #86
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Awesome View Post
NEVER intentionally crash your motorcycle. When you crash, you relinquish all control over your vehicle and the situation. Additionally, every last moment you can spend braking is a significant reduction in impact force with another object.
Agree...granted there is always going to be a situation where you cannot brake/swerve or accelerate, but the more you ride (commute) the more you realize that staying on the bike is the no. 1 priority. When you purposely lay a bike down, you chance to get run over by other vehicles. Not good.

1. Swerve and use all of the lane. A bike only requires 3 feet to clear.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #87
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
: Behind the rise a 5m deep tomb opened, 2x3 wide. I rode to slow to jump and to fast to stop. Put breakes on, slide bike to the left and abandon ship. I managed to jump to the left edge while bike tumbled down. I am lucky not to go down cause the walls were impossible to climb.

JC
Tombs? Out here, that's a prospect pit. There are thousands of them in the western US. Some mining districts have dozens of abandoned mining shafts. And some shafts are hundreds of feet deep.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #88
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Tombs? Out here, that's a prospect pit. There are thousands of them in the western US. Some mining districts have dozens of abandoned mining shafts. And some shafts are hundreds of feet deep.
Ask her, I'm not the one with a bike in a hole.

JC
Old 01-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #89
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
In NYC those are called pot holes
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #90
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
In NYC those are called pot holes
Yeah, you'd have to be high to drive into that thing.

JC