Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #81
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post

Oh I know, it's all bull crap propaganda published by the gov't to keep you all down....right....

There is no shortage of data that shows that pot is biologically dangerous. Quite frankly ANYTHING you smoke is bad for you. Whether it be maple leaves or marijuana sheesh, that's a no brainer.
Damn right you can't trust the government. But what about the New England Journal of Medicine? I'm not sure if the link will work but here is a clip of it.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/349/10/975
Quote:
Cannabinoids

The use of marijuana or hashish produces feelings of relaxation and well-being and impairs cognitive function and performance of psychomotor tasks. Overdose can induce panic attack and psychosis.34 A high incidence of cannabis consumption has been reported among patients with schizophrenia.35 Symptoms of withdrawal — restlessness, irritability, and insomnia — are subtle and appear in heavy consumers.36 The long-term effects of high doses of cannabinoids is a complex and controversial subject. Although there is evidence that long-term use of cannabis impairs memory,37,38 the cause of the marijuana amotivational syndrome — loss of energy and drive to work — remains unclear.34

G-protein–coupled cannabinoid CB1 receptors (Figure 1 and Figure 2), which are richly distributed in basal ganglia and cerebral-cortex regions, are implicated in cannabinoid abuse and addiction. In contrast to other neurotransmitters, endocannabinoids act as retrograde messengers at many central synapses. They are released from postsynaptic neurons and activate CB1 receptors on presynaptic neurons, inhibiting the release of neurotransmitters.39 Natural ligands of CB1 receptors (anandamide, 2-arachidonylglycerol, and noladin ether) have a shorter period of action than synthetic or plant-derived cannabinoids.39 Selective synthetic agonists and antagonists of CB1 receptors are currently being developed for medical purposes
Again I think that any drug should be legal but I think people are kidding themselves if they think pot is harmless and non-addicting.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #82
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

So should alcahol be illegal? Because prohibition was pretty successful
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:50 AM   #83
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
So should alcahol be illegal? Because prohibition was pretty successful
here's the thing, making something illegal won't stop idiots from using it nor will making it legal suddenly transform a substance into harmlessness. I know that I'm dreaming but a world without substance abuse would be shangri-la imho. Quite frankly, I'm really not sure why that isn't the goal...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:03 AM   #84
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

RoboCop 2 comes to mind.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:16 AM   #85
derf
token jewboy

Problem is that people want to smoke. I agree with the goal but its an unreasonable goal. As a country we need to learn from our past mistakes, one of which was prohibition in the 30s. It created criminals out of everybody who took a drink and all that came out of it were organized crime and a whole lot of illegal drinking, and all of it was created with the goal of clean living in mind. Now we are at the same point in the war on drugs, we lost a long time ago, but we just keep throwing money at it.

Repealing alcohol prohibition might not have been the perfect solution but it was a solution. It also reduced organized crime to a shadow of what it was in a few short years. It didnt get rid of it completely but the families were never as strong as they were during that time. Legalization will in time reduce drug related crime drastically,, once the industry is allowed to grow.

And yes i would love to smoke, I just dont see the military allowing it during my career.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:38 AM   #86
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

bring back alcohol prohibition, i wanna get a tommy gun and deal with elliot ness "the untouchables" style.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #87
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
bring back alcohol prohibition, i wanna get a tommy gun and deal with elliot ness "the untouchables" style.
Hahaha!!! I'm with you! We need a holodeck...oops that's another thread.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #88
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Problem is that people want to smoke. I agree with the goal but its an unreasonable goal. As a country we need to learn from our past mistakes, one of which was prohibition in the 30s. It created criminals out of everybody who took a drink and all that came out of it were organized crime and a whole lot of illegal drinking, and all of it was created with the goal of clean living in mind. Now we are at the same point in the war on drugs, we lost a long time ago, but we just keep throwing money at it.

Repealing alcohol prohibition might not have been the perfect solution but it was a solution. It also reduced organized crime to a shadow of what it was in a few short years. It didnt get rid of it completely but the families were never as strong as they were during that time. Legalization will in time reduce drug related crime drastically,, once the industry is allowed to grow.

And yes i would love to smoke, I just dont see the military allowing it during my career.
Weren't we just talking about "drunken gunplay"? I honestly think that some jobs are too important to be performed "high" or even recently high. I'm sorry but that's my opinion. If you want to be a high on get a job at Walmart or be a dry waller....
Old 06-13-2010, 10:35 AM   #89
derf
token jewboy

Totally agree with you. I expect the military to be able to smoke one day, but only after there is a effective way to detect it.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #90
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Weren't we just talking about "drunken gunplay"? I honestly think that some jobs are too important to be performed "high" or even recently high. I'm sorry but that's my opinion. If you want to be a high on get a job at Walmart or be a dry waller....
Or a commercial airline pilot!
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote