Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #81
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
I don't smoke.. But, I believe in a person's right to live their life without you or I interfering in it.

It is dumb to ride without gear. But, again it's a personal choice and I would never try to tell somebody that they should wear gear. They know they should. They choose not to. Smokers know smoking isn't healthy. They choose to anyway. I don't know why it's hard to understand.

My point was that they have a right to not be harassed as long as they do it where they're allowed. I couldn't care less if you rolled up smooshed bugs and smoked those fuckers till you died of fly aids, it's your choice.

People rag on you here for a lot of things. Every one of them was a personal choice you made regardless of what we think about it. Smokers feel the same way.
One thing about smoking is it can affect people around them. I had to hold my breath on my R6 before waiting at lights because of people smoking in cars ahead of me. So it is a personal choice but it does affect many other people.

One thing Tig is saying is that people who do smoke can't give a good reason why they do. Its not that they have to give anyone a reason other then because I want to but if they had to a lot of them can't really give a good reason.

Why did I want to ride a bike when it worried some people in my family? I could say because I want to and leave it at that. If I had to get into it more it was something that interested me and put a smile on my face. Once I started riding I started to love it more. It was almost like a feeling of freedom. The way they turn and so on. It was just a great feeling.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #82
Flexin
AMA Supersport

What I find funny is how smokers say that non smokers need to grow a thicker skin and not worry about that they are doing and so on. But if they had such think skin themselves then they wouldn't get so upset when someone disagreed with their decision to smoke.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:04 PM   #83
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
What I find funny is how smokers say that non smokers need to grow a thicker skin and not worry about that they are doing and so on. But if they had such think skin themselves then they wouldn't get so upset when someone disagreed with their decision to smoke.

James
It's not about disagreement its about rule and law.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:06 PM   #84
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
One thing about smoking is it can affect people around them. I had to hold my breath on my R6 before waiting at lights because of people smoking in cars ahead of me. So it is a personal choice but it does affect many other people.

One thing Tig is saying is that people who do smoke can't give a good reason why they do. Its not that they have to give anyone a reason other then because I want to but if they had to a lot of them can't really give a good reason.

Why did I want to ride a bike when it worried some people in my family? I could say because I want to and leave it at that. If I had to get into it more it was something that interested me and put a smile on my face. Once I started riding I started to love it more. It was almost like a feeling of freedom. The way they turn and so on. It was just a great feeling.

James
The three things they do say always humor me, 1. "I could quit whenever I want, I just don't want to", 2. "I enjoy smoking" and "my smoking doesn't affect anyone else"
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #85
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Yes, as a smoker, I am more likely to develop lung cancer than you are, but the difference is smaller than you probably think. Get ready here, because I'm about to drop some knowledge:

A smoker is ten percent more likely to develop cancer (of any type, not just lung) than a non-smoker. Cancer comes from a whole lot of stuff, like used motor oil, artificial sweeteners, and motorcycle exhaust.
Yes I understand your position. It is your body and you can do what you want with it. I don't care. However, Kaneman was spewing out some nonsense logic.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #86
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
But those same smokers miss more work than non-smokers would, use less sick days, and company productivity would go up meaning companies pay more taxes and blah blah blah. Not to mention that smokers often times do other drugs including pills so they go into the ER trying to scam doctors for pills which raises costs......
I'm not sure your logic is all that good here. Maybe people who smoke just so happen to not not take care of themselves more, more stressful etc. Maybe these same groups of people would still be taking sick days and popping pills. I'm not sure if you can directly link it to smoking like you can cancer.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 06-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #87
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
You are not more likely to have an accident on a bike than in a car, that's bs. In fact, imho, you are less likely because the average bike rider is more attentive and aware of his surroundings. They are not playing with the stereo, they are not smoking, they are not yelling at the kids, they are not texting, they are not eating a Big Mac, etc. To say that someone who is riding a motorcycle, in the same manner as they would a car (as far as speed, etc) ie safely, is more likely to have an accident is ludicrous at best. BTW it breaks my heart to see fellow riders espouse the exact same sensationalist crap that cagers do. Do you really mean to say that Suzie Homemaker in the Tahoe, eating a Big Mac, talking on the phone with four screaming brats in the car is less likely to have an accident than I am? That is flat out insulting!!!

Your statement would hold some truth IF the weather was always sunny/warm and there were no debris or damage to the roads. Cars can turn left in a pile of rocks in the middle of the road without crashing. A bike...not so much. Try riding your sportbike in an ice storm and see how you fare.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 06-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #88
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Yes I understand your position. It is your body and you can do what you want with it. I don't care. However, Kaneman was spewing out some nonsense logic.
Nope, all u satis was that if youre going to penalize cancer ridden smokers then you need to be able to prove smoking caused the cancer.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #89
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Nope, all u satis was that if youre going to penalize cancer ridden smokers then you need to be able to prove smoking caused the cancer.
Well there have been numerous studies on this, but regarding the specific individual, quite hard to prove.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 06-19-2010, 04:26 PM   #90
Inferno
Canyon Carver

Moto: 08 R6

I'll try to make this simple for the smokers...

You are a regular smoker, 1/2 pack or pack a day (give or take)

This is what happens.

When you inhale, all those toxins emitting from that ciggy get into your lungs/bloodstream, preventing oxygen getting to your lungs.

Your body compensates by making more red blood cells(which carry oxygen to your body) trying to get oxygen to your cells.

More red blood cells = thick blood.

Who wants tamato sauce in their viens? That = a stroke or heart attack
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote