Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #81
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Hmm...shaky concept, Trip.

Lately, I write a lot of straight-for-the-jugular pop. Shit I couldn't, as a nearly 50-year-old-man, possibly get away with singing myself. Is it contrivance? Maybe. I only know it's what sometimes plays on the "radio in my head", and I usually try to jot it down when I dig that it's shit I'm actually writing in real time, and not something I heard from another artist just playing in my head (which also happens at least 60% of the time). It's probably a product of the fact that I have a teenage daughter, and the genre is "rubbing off".

If I produced this music, and had my 16-year-old daughter (a very talented vocalist) sing this shit, and it goes platinum, am I a sell-out?
no, your daughter would be the sellout according to what I said. It's just a lucrative job for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Faith p l u s o n e
damn, lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #82
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
no, your daughter would be the sellout according to what I said. It's just a lucrative job for you.

damn, lol
yea bitch!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #83
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
If I produced this music, and had my 16-year-old daughter (a very talented vocalist) sing this shit, and it goes platinum, am I a sell-out?
Nope, just a musician with a solid business plan.

Does anybody really believe that, "As I lay Dying" has some deep social issues they're trying to communicate?

No, they saw a Danzig concert, and decided they could make money yelling RAWWWR! into a microphone.

JC
Old 07-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #84
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Many artists don't write their own music. Not every talented singer is also a gifted songwriter...so they sing other people's songs. How does this make them a sell-out?
Old 07-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #85
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Many artists don't write their own music. Not every talented singer is also a gifted songwriter...so they sing other people's songs. How does this make them a sell-out?
If she is solely singing the music as a way to make lots of money and has no interest in it. Is it smart financially? Absolutely. That's why it's a sellout, you are comprimising your music to make bank.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #86
AquaPython
put it THIS way

no, thats still not being a sell out. a sell out would be like the band KISS , they started off trying to make music they liked, and their original fans liked, but then changed things about their music, to fit a wider, more generic range of people, solely for marketing and bottom line checks. when they started straying from the rock base to soft mushy ballads and showing up on lunchboxes and cartoons, that is being a sellout.

its the transition from being a genuine musician -> music business entrepreneur , that exploits people and their loyalties.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #87
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPython View Post
no, thats still not being a sell out. a sell out would be like the band KISS , they started off trying to make music they liked, and their original fans liked, but then changed things about their music, to fit a wider, more generic range of people, solely for marketing and bottom line checks. when they started straying from the rock base to soft mushy ballads and showing up on lunchboxes and cartoons, that is being a sellout.
Then again, "Beth" is probably one of the best songs they ever made.

KISS is not a very good example. They didn't dress up like that based on some sort of musical integrity.

JC
Old 07-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #88
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Quote:
If she is solely singing the music as a way to make lots of money and has no interest in it. Is it smart financially? Absolutely. That's why it's a sellout, you are comprimising your music to make bank.
So singers who can't write their own material should only choose shitty songs that probably won't sell, or reach a wide audience?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #89
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
So singers who can't write their own material should only choose shitty songs that probably won't sell, or reach a wide public?
No, you can choose mainstream music if that is what you like. You have to comprimise yourself or your musical choice in some way.
Quote:
Old 07-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #90
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Remember; a musician also needs to eat, and their music has to reach enough of an audience that they can get HIRED in the first place. Music is almost always compromised thus, at least to some degree. At what point exactly does it become reprehensible? As soon as they are well fed?