Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-20-2009, 07:27 PM   #81
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
Well, you were supposed to, but I can't even have faith in that anymore.
I'll be damned if I'm leaving Scotch & cookies for you this Christmas Eve.

ps. Is this argument still going on? Really people... someone just needs to ask NASA for a computer sim because this is wasting far too many peoples' time and brain power.
We don't need a computer sim. Mythbusters did it full scale. How much better can you get then that?

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #82
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
We don't need a computer sim. Mythbusters did it full scale. How much better can you get then that?

James
Clearly that's not proving it to some people since they're still arguing that it won't work.
That's an argument here for you... if you can't be right arguing it your way, change the specifications of the experiment so that you sound right anyway.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #83
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Clearly that's not proving it to some people since they're still arguing that it won't work.
We can run the Mythbusters test again. Use a prop plane. If they feel so confident that it won't move they can stand in front of it.

James
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Old 07-20-2009, 07:49 PM   #84
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Quote:
We can run the Mythbusters test again. Use a prop plane. If they feel so confident that it won't move they can stand in front of it.

James
The list of people I'd toss in front of a moving prop-driven plane gets longer every day... don't tempt me.
We could do the same with a jet, but my dad has instilled in me too much respect for the gas turbine to want to see someone get sucked into it.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #85
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
The list of people I'd toss in front of a moving prop-driven plane gets longer every day... don't tempt me.
We could do the same with a jet, but my dad has instilled in me too much respect for the gas turbine to want to see someone get sucked into it.
With the economy and fuel prices it would be irresponsible to use a jet engine. Plus with the prop plane we can have an Aston Powers roller moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Ipd...rom=PL&index=9

James
Old 07-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #86
zer0t
Kneedragger

Moto: 2003 FLSTCI 2008 KTM RC8

The answer is no, planes take off based on lift (Bernoulli effect) which requires high pressure under the wings and low pressure above. The shape of the wings make this happen as air passes over them. If the plane is stationary and the tires are spinning and the engine is running it will just burn fuel and wear out the tires.
zer0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #87
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0t View Post
The answer is no, planes take off based on lift (Bernoulli effect) which requires high pressure under the wings and low pressure above. The shape of the wings make this happen as air passes over them. If the plane is stationary and the tires are spinning and the engine is running it will just burn fuel and wear out the tires.
The plane moves forward. It doesn't stay stationary.

If the plane were stationary, the question might as well be, "Can planes take off when they're cemented to the ground in a hangar.".
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #88
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
The belt doesn't need to go as fast as the wheels. It needs to go as fast as the plane as far as the myth goes. So it is possible to build this. And yes your right the wheel speed increase but the fact that fact still shows that it has no effect on the plane at all.

So it is possible to build this and prove this point. Anything short of a bearing failure would not stop the plane from flying so it will prove that wheel speed doesn't matter at all.

James
LOL, I'm remembering a different version, I guess. I remember hearing that the treadmill exactly matches the plane's wheel speed, which is the part that's impossible (and usually f's people up).

If people need (yet another) analogy to make this make sense, pretend you're talking about your kid's Hot Wheels car on a treadmill with your hand holding it in place. Can you imagine anything that you could do to that treadmill to make it impossible for your hand to move that little car forward? No. The plane is the same, except it's the Hand of God moving the plane.

Last edited by anthonyk; 07-21-2009 at 12:13 PM..
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #89
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
LOL, I'm remembering a different version, I guess. I remember hearing that the treadmill exactly matches the plane's wheel speed, which is the part that's impossible (and usually f's people up).

If people need (yet another) analogy to make this make sense, pretend you're talking about your kid's Hot Wheels car on a treadmill with your hand holding it in place. Can you imagine anything that you could do to that treadmill to make it impossible for your hand to move that little car forward? No. The plane is the same, except it's the Hand of God moving the plane.
The treadmill could quadruple the wheel speed indefinitely until a rip in interdimensional fabric occured. The plane would still move forward relative to the ground and take off.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:18 PM   #90
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
The treadmill could quadruple the wheel speed indefinitely until a rip in interdimensional fabric occured. The plane would still move forward relative to the ground and take off.
Until that singularity opened and the back end was sucked into the time rift where the passengers slated to die were removed to help save the human race in the future where pollution and genetic manipulation has made us incapable of reproducing.