Default Today's College Students Lack Empathy

Today's College Students Lack Empathy
Jeanna Bryner
LiveScience Managing Editor
LiveScience.com jeanna Bryner
livescience Managing Editor
livescience.com
44 mins ago

College students today are less likely to "get" the emotions of others than their counterparts 20 and 30 years ago, a new review study suggests.

Specifically, today's students scored 40 percent lower on a measure of empathy than their elders did.

The findings are based on a review of 72 studies of 14,000 American college students overall conducted between 1979 and 2009.

"We found the biggest drop in empathy after the year 2000," said Sara Konrath, a researcher at the University of Michigan's Institute for Social Research.

The study was presented this week at the annual meeting of the Association for Psychological Science in Boston.

Is "generation me" all about me?

Compared with college students of the late 1970s, current students are less likely to agree with statements such as "I sometimes try to understand my friends better by imagining how things look from their perspective," and "I often have tender, concerned feelings for people less fortunate than me."

"Many people see the current group of college students - sometimes called 'Generation Me' - as one of the most self-centered, narcissistic, competitive, confident and individualistic in recent history," said Konrath, who is also affiliated with the University of Rochester Department of Psychiatry.

Konrath's colleague graduate student Edward O'Brien added, "It's not surprising that this growing emphasis on the self is accompanied by a corresponding devaluation of others."

Other recent studies have shown mixed results on the character of today's youth. For instance, one study of more than 450,000 high-school seniors born at different time periods showed today's youth are no more self-centered than their parents were at their age.

The role of media

Even so, Konrath and O'Brien suggest several reasons for the lower empathy they found, including the ever-increasing exposure to media in the current generation.

"Compared to 30 years ago, the average American now is exposed to three times as much nonwork-related information," Konrath said. "In terms of media content, this generation of college students grew up with video games, and a growing body of research, including work done by my colleagues at Michigan, is establishing that exposure to violent media numbs people to the pain of others."

The rise in social media could also play a role.

"The ease of having 'friends' online might make people more likely to just tune out when they don't feel like responding to others' problems, a behavior that could carry over offline," O'Brien said.

In fact, past research has suggested college students are addicted to social media.

Other possible causes include a society today that's hypercompetitive and focused on success, as well as the fast-paced nature of today, in which people are less likely than in time periods past to slow down to really listen to others, O'Brien added.

"College students today may be so busy worrying about themselves and their own issues that they don't have time to spend empathizing with others, or at least perceive such time to be limited," O'Brien said.

You can find out your empathy score and how it compares with today's college students by taking the empathy quiz.

7 Thoughts That Are Bad For You
Odd Things You Didn't Know About You
What Every Woman Should Know About a Man's Brain

Original Story: Today's College Students Lack Empathy
LiveScience.com chronicles the daily advances and innovations made in science and technology. We take on the misconceptions that often pop up around scientific discoveries and deliver short, provocative explanations with a certain wit and style. Check out our science videos, Trivia & Quizzes and Top 10s. Join our community to debate hot-button issues like stem cells, climate change and evolution. You can also sign up for free newsletters, register for RSS feeds and get cool gadgets at the LiveScience Store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

Uhhh many 40yo's lack empathy.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Grow up texting and IM'ing people instead of actually talking to them, and this is what happens.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Other tahn the one story quoted with mixed results, where the folks in their 40s questioned in their 40's and compared against folks in their 20's? Or where they tested in their 20's and the results kept around for a 20 years until new college students came around and then compared. I would be willing to bet they were all tested at the same time and that age might just have something to do with it.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Other tahn the one story quoted with mixed results, where the folks in their 40s questioned in their 40's and compared against folks in their 20's? Or where they tested in their 20's and the results kept around for a 20 years until new college students came around and then compared. I would be willing to bet they were all tested at the same time and that age might just have something to do with it.
I'm 40 and still have no empathy.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I'm 40 and still have no empathy.
I'm in my 20's and I dont give a shit
Old 05-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Now there's a shock. They've spent the last 18+ years of their life being told they're the most important thing in The Universe and that nothing is their fault.

Can't imagine where the egocentricity comes from.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

I don't feel sorry for people who lack empathy.

JC
Old 05-28-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Why the fuck should we care about them?
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I don't feel sorry for people who lack empathy.

JC
Bumpersticker of the month.