Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600
Default Economic Issues?

Here's a story from my local area...the comments are rather intriguiging...

This is a HUGE thing that will affect MANY of the locals here.

I know how I feel about this, how do the rest of you feel? Are you seeing similar issues where you are at? And someone weigh in on the collecting unemployment issue, I've never dealt with it so im not sure how it would apply.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/peo...e=1#slComments

Quote:
Legendary Inc. announced Friday that the company will trim individual employee pay by 25 percent in an effort to avoid layoffs.

The move affects several hundred employees.

"We've chosen not to cut back in staff," Legendary CEO Peter Bos said. "We have chosen to keep everybody together. ... There are not that many jobs in this area that people can move to.

"I was pretty proud of our management team for voting to keep people together as a family," Bos added. "It's a lot easier to cut staff underneath you instead of taking a cut yourself. ... These are very difficult times, and all the things we've been hearing are hitting Main Street."

Legendary is a major employer in development, retail and tourism in the area.

The company owns and operates the Emerald Grande resort (which includes HarborWalk Village), Legendary Marine, Regatta Bay Golf and Country Club and Destin Commons shopping center.

Legendary President Hugh Sawyer said "several hundred employees" would be affected by the compensation cut, including salaried and hourly positions.

"Not equal pay, but equal sacrifice," Sawyer said. "That's the moral thing to do."

As for possible fallout in having employees leave, Sawyer remained optimistic.

"Fortunately we have a very loyal employee base," he said. "We don't experience much employee churn and I would hope in this circumstance we would retain substantially all of our employees. Although that doesn't mean to suggest some won't make a personal choice, because that's what people are compelled do."

Economist David Goetsch of Northwest Florida State College didn't see it quite that way.

"Within the company they'll have a tough time dealing with the morale issue," Goetsch said. "At first people will be glad to still have a job, but after the next round of bills comes in, then you'll have the challenge ... because people's morale is tied to their pocketbook.

"And the issue is not how many they lose, it's which ones they lose," he added. "The people you lose are your best people, because they can find another job. There's a humane element in this, but from a business perspective it's a tough one to make work."
Sawyer said the slowed economy has impacted Legendary's businesses.

"All of our business is directly related to consumer issues, which are external," Sawyer added. "We like our portfolio of assets but they are not immune from the downturn in the economy - and it's ‘out of season' here right now."

Preliminary indications from around the region are that tourists still visited the Emerald Coast this year, but they simply did not spend as much.

"I don't think you can take one incident and say it's a bad omen or it's something we look to in the near future," said Shane Moody from the Destin Area Chamber of Commerce. "I think with each company, resources are different, the timing is different, the situations are different.

Goetsch saw it differently.

"Legendary is so widely known and has been such a success story that other businesses that are struggling may try to replicate that model," he said. "This may confirm in the minds of people who weren't sure that the tourist economy isn't doing that well. It will certainly create concern if not create panic."
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Tourism seems to be up here. Our state being one of the cheapo vacation spots...We really do have a great time when gas is high and plane fares go up On the other hand our jobs are mainly service industry so we need every tourist dollar we can grab...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
the chi
Forum Coach

A key point to remember, I dont think the article clarified, down here, on the Emerald Coast, its ALL tourism that supports this economy outside of the military. If your not military or a military dependent, or a tourist or snowbird, you are a RARE creature indeed.

This company also laid off several hundred people right before Christmas of last year...
Old 10-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
t-homo
WSB Champion

I would guess that a large number of people who would have been laid off will quit trying to find a higher paying job. 25% is a huge number.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
the chi
Forum Coach

sadly, there are no jobs to be found. Even places like McDonalds and gas stations arent advertising for employees...these people will be in dire straights, but most likely have to suck it up and stay if only to keep a paycheck of some sorts coming in...
Old 10-20-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I guess on one side of the coin it's a good move so people don't loose their jobs. But at the same time...can those same people afford to sustain such a pay cut? They may still not be able to pay bills, mortgage, etc with a 25% cut. Thats drastic...and in effect, much like loosing your job.

This economy sucks. Corporate just put a hiring freeze on us. And they've begun laying people off in our Tulsa station. Can't wait to see what happens in two weeks when all the election ad revenue dries up.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:11 PM   #7
jeeps84
No longer MIA

Moto: 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 07 GSXR 750, 07 Harley Davidson Night Train

Our local paper mill has done this more than once. Most do get mad and quit while others stick it out and get raises when orders start coming in.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:45 AM   #8
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Cut my pay by 25%?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkcoobYUu8g
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:42 AM   #9
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I guess on one side of the coin it's a good move so people don't loose their jobs. But at the same time...can those same people afford to sustain such a pay cut? They may still not be able to pay bills, mortgage, etc with a 25% cut. Thats drastic...and in effect, much like loosing your job.

This economy sucks. Corporate just put a hiring freeze on us. And they've begun laying people off in our Tulsa station. Can't wait to see what happens in two weeks when all the election ad revenue dries up.
agreed.

I'm a lil' worried about the safety of my job AFTER the election... we'll see what happens.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:41 AM   #10
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

it's good to see ya back and posting Ambly...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote