Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory
Default Your Suggestions or Ideas

Ok Gang, While it is only the end of July, I am painfully aware that winter is going to come and I am going to need something to keep my mind and hands busy so I don’t wind up on the evening news.
Last year me and some friends built AK 47s fun but having done it and now having all the tools doing it again will not eat the kind of time I have to occupy.
I am about 90% certain that the next project will be a 70s style Café Racer. I would like to do a twin of some kind and in a budget unlimited world a Triumph Norton or BSA would be cool. But here in the real work I can’t justify the budget or cutting up a classic.
At the moment I am leaning toward a using Yamaha 650 twin as a base. There is one down the road that is quickly turning into a basket case. Anyone know the bike and what to watch for?
Now I have no qualms about using a newer bike (have thought about a wrinkled Hyosung or SV650 but they limit creativity) but I am not aware of any that fit the bill as it were.
If I go the inline 4 route the bike to use seems to be a CB750 K lots and lots of parts out there and it becomes kind of a bolt on project. I have also begun to think about using a 600 bandit but finding one seems to be a bit of a challenge.
I would also consider a bigger 2 stroke but the H series Kawasakis are out because as much as I love them they called them they are Flexible Flyer for a reason and there is nothing like the approximation of brakes on a H2 to bring you closer to god.
I would love to hear the thoughts and ideas of folks here. So how about gang those of you who have a few silver highlights in your hair or you younger historians what are your thoughts?
My requirements are:
That it be chain drive so I can easily change the gearing.
A reasonable budget machine ( I don’t want to go 10k for the whole project minus paint)
Reasonable original brakes or a easily upgraded braking system.
Something that can be made to appear 70’s appropriate
nhgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote