Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 06-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N
Default Canada on Strike! Well....the mail is.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Ameri...need-a-postman
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Way to validate cuts: all of 'em don't show up to work... And there's little to no impact to the consumer.

Good choice, ladies and gentlemen.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i

I read somewhere that the Fed is talking about cutting the USPS pensions too.

The way everything is electronic, either bills receivable or payable no one really needs mail. Catalogs are usually outdated by the time they arrive at your doorstep.

I can honestly say that I pay nothing of mine online, I just haven't gotten in to the swing of the new era ( 10 years ago) and being 31 I should be right on top of it. It is just the great mis-trust of having to give out financial info (numbers, ect) over the net. I just don't trust it, even moreso with all the stories of everything getting hacked, and I do realize every place online is at risk. But I have a paypal account so go figure.

Edit - Cable bill is online.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Way to validate cuts: all of 'em don't show up to work... And there's little to no impact to the consumer.

Good choice, ladies and gentlemen.
That's hilarious... They should make that the public announcement for further cuts... "We took note that with the 3-week strike, the lack of mail service went largely unnoticed... therefore, we will be looking into making significantly deeper cuts in the near future..." Then watch those motherfuckers scramble back to work.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Particle Man
Custom User Title

I wouln't mind the mail not getting delivered for a few days. All I get is junk and could use a few days break from having to shred the fucking stuff.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrant View Post
I read somewhere that the Fed is talking about cutting the USPS pensions too.

The way everything is electronic, either bills receivable or payable no one really needs mail. Catalogs are usually outdated by the time they arrive at your doorstep.

I can honestly say that I pay nothing of mine online, I just haven't gotten in to the swing of the new era ( 10 years ago) and being 31 I should be right on top of it. It is just the great mis-trust of having to give out financial info (numbers, ect) over the net. I just don't trust it, even moreso with all the stories of everything getting hacked, and I do realize every place online is at risk. But I have a paypal account so go figure.

Edit - Cable bill is online.
I had my CC number stolen. They maxed it out. I made one phone call, the card was cancelled. They took care of the money. Sent me a new card and I never heard about it again.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Actually they aren't on strike; they were locked out. The Posties were doing a series of rotating strikes, that apparently cut mail volumes roughly in half, so management closed the doors.

The majority of the money made by Canada Post, today, is from 'bulk commercial mail' (ie. "junk mail"), and from commercial parcel shipping. There are businesses, that are losing thousands of dollars a week, because post is still the most cost effective and efficient way to move their product. I haven't delivered on a CD of pictures I took on a recent charity ride, because I can't mail them.

While mail might not be as needed, as it has been in the past, there are still times that it makes sense. I can send a letter or CD/DVD across Toronto, for $0.59. I can send the same thing to Summit Roadhouse, NWT, for exactly that same amount. I've shipped computers to remote northern areas of Quebec. You don't want to know what the couriers would charge for that, if they even go there. Most don't; they keep to the more lucrative areas.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/

Last edited by Papa_Complex; 06-26-2011 at 04:13 PM..
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #8
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I wouln't mind the mail not getting delivered for a few days. All I get is junk and could use a few days break from having to shred the fucking stuff.
I go to the mailbox about once every 2 weeks at the most just to clean it out so my mailman doesn't get mad at me. Then getting rid of that pile of junk is such a PITA
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
I go to the mailbox about once every 2 weeks at the most just to clean it out so my mailman doesn't get mad at me. Then getting rid of that pile of junk is such a PITA
Can't do that around here - people go to mailboxes where stuff has built up and stead cc applications with pre-printed name/addresses on them.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #10
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
That's hilarious... They should make that the public announcement for further cuts... "We took note that with the 3-week strike, the lack of mail service went largely unnoticed... therefore, we will be looking into making significantly deeper cuts in the near future..." Then watch those motherfuckers scramble back to work.
Except that the opposite happened. It cost the government about a billion fucking dollars, and totally diosrupted the lives of many, proving that postal workers are indeed a necessity.

You anti-union people fucking sicken me. Without unions, you'd all still be slaving like dogs for almost nothing, with no benefits or pensions. People like you havent the slightest clue what your talking about, yet are the loudest motherfuckers on the planet when it comes to unions. Im guessing your mostly jealous that most union members are earning a fair wage and have a secure retirement to look forward too..

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.

Last edited by Apoc; 07-03-2011 at 10:20 PM..
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote