Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default AT&T ruins my day (they bought T-mobile)

http://mashable.com/2011/03/20/att-tmobile-2/

Quote:
AT&T just announced a definitive agreement with Deutsche Telekom to buy T-Mobile USA for $39 billion in cash and stock. In a press release, AT&T said the agreement has been approved by both companies’ boards of directors.

If the deal meets regulatory approval, AT&T will be the largest wireless provider in the United States. The company says the transaction will allow it to expand its 4G LTE network to 95% of the population of the United States, and touts enhanced “quality in the near term” for AT&T and T-Mobile customers.

Those of a patriotic bent will be glad to know that the transaction will make T-Mobile USA a U.S.-based company instead of a German telecom company that ironically calls itself T-Mobile USA. However, if you want to use a GSM phone, you won’t be left with many choices if this deal does go through. But in AT&T’s press release, the company emphasized how the U.S. market will continue to be competitive even after this deal:

The U.S. wireless industry is one of the most fiercely competitive markets in the world and will remain so after this deal. The U.S. is one of the few countries in the world where a large majority of consumers can choose from five or more wireless providers in their local market. For example, in 18 of the top 20 U.S. local markets, there are five or more providers. Local market competition is escalating among larger carriers, low-cost carriers and several regional wireless players with nationwide service plans. This intense competition is only increasing with the build-out of new 4G networks and the emergence of new market entrants.

Is this good news or bad? Both, according to Forrester Research analyst Charles Golvin, who told Mashable minutes ago:

“AT&T’s acquisition of T-Mobile, if approved, brings good news and bad news. The good news: high-speed mobile broadband service will improve in quality and coverage, including — in the long run — those in rural communities outside the reach of terrestrial broadband today. The bad news: the cost of that service won’t come down nearly as fast as customers would like, since AT&T and Verizon Wireless combined would own nearly three out of every four wireless subscriptions in the US. While clearly troublesome for Sprint and other mobile smaller mobile competitors, It’s also bad news for cable operators, whose incipient mobility products will suffer in comparison to what AT&T and Verizon can offer.”

Let us know in the comments what you think of this deal.

I really hope that the influx of AT&T customers coming on to the T-mobile network dont ruin a good thing, I have a feeling my service is gonna go to shit over this. Plus I'm sure that we will loose unlimited data

I'm guessing it will take about a year before they actually combine services huh? I'm due for a new phone next month
Old 03-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Just more reason to go with Sprint, since they will always be the underdog who offers better deals
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I'm with sprint. Perfect service IN MY AREA and BEST price in the biz.
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
derf
token jewboy

I have a feeling that I'm gonna wind up with either sprint or verison, their service in my area is about the same. I wont be making any decisions until next year anyway
Old 03-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

Well, that sucks. I've been with T-Mobile for a really long time, but really don't want to work with AT&T. Looks like I'll be shopping Sprint or Verizon soon.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I wonder if google will stay with AT&T or start releasing the Nexus phones on other carriers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #8
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Droid 3 looking good bout now eh?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #9
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Droid 3 looking good bout now eh?
I approve of this post

From now on we shall refer to the AT&T and T-mobile combo as T&A

Last edited by derf; 03-20-2011 at 07:41 PM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
From now on we shall refer to the AT&T and T-mobile combo as T&A

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote