Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS
Default iFail

Quote:
The iPad shows great promise. It's thin and sleek and not like any other gadget out there. It was also more hyped than any new device in recent memory. But is it worth buying?

Given the cost, and a slew of drawbacks, the answer boils down to how much you're willing to pay for a toy.

We've been testing both a low-end and top-end iPad all weekend, also letting family members age 9 to 59 try it out and offer their reactions, and our overall conclusion is that while the iPad is fun to play with, it's hard to figure out what role it fills that some other device doesn't do much better. Here are the most severe problems we see:

It's Awkward

You can't carry it on your hip like a phone, so it presents the same portability issues as any laptop - you'll need a case of some sort to protect it and carry the power cable. Even around the house, there's no simple way to carry the iPad. It's too thin, heavy, slippery and expensive to put under your arm. Several of our testers were seen carrying it like a dinner tray, as a butler would, to go from the kitchen table to the couch. Portability, shmortability.

It's heavy

To be sure, at 1.5 pounds and with all this functionality, the iPad is an impressive feat of engineering. But it's simply not light enough (a Kindle ebook reader is about 10 ounces) and that heft adds to the awkwardness. Holding the iPad in one hand for more than a few minutes to watch a movie or read an ebook results in tired wrists. Even holding it with two hands to read an ebook is tiring. Reading an ebook on a smartphone is ergonomically much more practical.

It's slippery

We might ignore the awkward size and weight, but the iPad is also slippery, and its aluminum back is ever-so-slightly slightly concave. You feel as though it'd slip right out if you try to hold it under your arm. And on the kitchen counter, it slides and twirls as you try to type or swipe the screen (required for navigating). It needs rubber feet, but of course then it won't be near as cool.

The screen has too much glare

The iPad has the same glossy screen as Apple's Macbook Pro laptops and iMac desktops. Unless you're reading in a very dim room, the glare will be noticeable and can be distracting. Outdoors, even in the shade, the glare is really annoying.

Forget reading in the sun

If you thought to take your iPad along for an outing in Central Park or at the beach, forget about it. While bright and contrasty indoors, the iPad's screen looks washed out and is almost impossible to view in bright sunlight. The Kindle's non-glossy e-ink display fares much better outdoors than the iPad's screen.

Fingerprints are annoying

Once you've used the iPad for a few minutes, among the most glaring shortcomings (besides the screen glare) are the fingerprints on the screen. With a smartphone, you can wipe the screen on your shirt or pants. The iPad is too big for that. We're wondering what exactly to clean it with and where we'll keep the cleaning supplies.

It does not multitask

The iPad runs the same operating system as the iPhone, and as a result has all of the iPhone's limitations. The most obvious of these is the inability to multitask - or do multiple things simultaneously. The iPad can't run more than one app at a time (with the exception of a few Apple apps, such as iPod, the iPad's music playing app). While this is may be acceptable in a smartphone, it's a major handicap in a device that Apple expects people to spend hours at a time on. (11 iPhone Tips That Also Work on the iPad )

The browser is limited

The iPad also uses the same limited Safari browser that's found on the iPhone. While much fuss has been made about the iPad's inability to play Flash video, there are other things it can't do as well. For example, Safari on iPad can't be used to create Google Documents, only to view them.

The virtual keyboard stinks

While the virtual keyboard on the iPad is much larger than the iPhone, it's still awkward to type on glass. Even those who've used tiny, cramped netbook keyboards will be disappointed by the lack of real keys and likely reduced to one-finger typing. The iPad can be paired with a physical keyboard, but even this is awkward, because the actions normally done with a mouse or a trackpad on a desktop or laptop have to be done with your finger on the iPad.

There's no USB port

The lack of even one USB port - the universal means of connecting just about everything these days - means you can't connect the device to a printer or other computer peripherals, such as an external hard drive. The iPad can be connected to cameras, but it requires the purchase of a separate accessory from Apple.

iPhone-only apps look horrible

Apple boasts that many of the 150,000 apps already available on the iPhone will also work on the iPad. What the company doesn't tell you is that when enlarged to fit on the iPad's screen, these iPhone apps look horrible, with images and text very pixelated. For this reason, many people will opt to buy apps that are made specifically for the iPad, which tend to be more expensive than their iPhone counterparts.

The price is just too high

$499 is just the beginning, a low-memory model that will fill up too quickly for anyone with a big music library and/or an appetite for video. Toss in ample memory and a 2-year, $280 "we'll replace it even if you drop it" warranty at Best Buy, and you're out $1,000. Given the iPad's weight, awkwardness and slipperiness, we think the warranty is smart.

It doesn't replace anything

The iPad will not replace your smartphone. Unless you can't type, it won't replace your laptop. If you love books, you could argue it's a great e-book reader, but let's see what your wrists say after a few days. The Kindle is a better e-reader. Frankly, we're not sure what need the iPad fills, other than the desire to be cool by owning a device that is in a class all its own.
So it's an awkward, heavy, slippery portable device that you can't use outside or clean the screen real easy.

What's the point of owning one? Sounds like a Kindle or Laptop would be better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

But...but...it's from Apple!!

And it's got a trendy i-"something" name!!

All the wanna be hipsters and metro-sexuals have been drooling for it for months so they can sit in their favorite coffee house and pose...it's GOTTA be cool!

Whatever....it's just another over hyped, over priced, proprietary and limited piece of Apple shit. They can have it.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
ontwo
Designated Drinker

Moto: 2009 ZX6R

Yep, I love my touch, but I can't image it as anything more than what it is. Especially the fingerprint issue. That would drive me nuts on a computer.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

They're the Harleys of the technology age..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Why is this in the news again? We already got the full scoop months ago.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Once people figure out a use for it there will be something for people to use it for. For now it makes a really bad baseball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGUppxoJUVg
Old 04-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Why is this in the news again? We already got the full scoop months ago.
it just released so normal people get to review it.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

I've read so many good reviews on the iPad and it just blows me away. I can't believe people really think this is some type of amazing device.

Its a fucking GIANT IPHONE THAT DOESN'T MAKE PHONE CALLS!!!!

Piece of shit.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
I've read so many good reviews on the iPad and it just blows me away. I can't believe people really think this is some type of amazing device.

Its a fucking GIANT IPHONE THAT DOESN'T MAKE PHONE CALLS!!!!

Piece of shit.

So far it has been given to tech webistes who want to stay in the good graces of the almighty jobs so they can also get to review the next device, and fanboys who have bought it because it is iCool. I will wait a month or so until the reviews by folks who are completely impartial to look at it.

I still have no reason to buy one though so in the end of the day I really dont care either way
Old 04-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #10
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

I loved my iPhone (until I got the NexusOne) and I love my MacBook, but I had no desire whatsoever to get an iPad. Not even an inkling. Pretty much every reason stated in that article is what went through my head.

And on that note... I need to get a glare-free screen protector for my N1. The finger prints on the screen drive me insane.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote