Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 12-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
dubbs
Multistrada

Default Subaru WRX STi vs Mitsu Lancer Evo X

I test drove the lancer yesterday and beat the piss out of a car w/ 30 miles on it honestly just to shut the dealer up.. Apparently he thinks how fast a car can go in a straight line sells the car for most people. I was looking for turns, i was in an area I didn't know and he wasn't helping to find any. But my thoughts after about 30 mins in the car.

It's my first time driving an AWD sports car.. Kinda cool, but you still get that Torque steer i remember from FWD cars. Don't really like that feeling. It's pretty fast, got loads of Torque, but the top end kinda lacks for me. (I like peaky top end power like my s2k) I have no idea how the car handles but there wasn't much body roll in the shitty turns i took. The ride is horrible.. seats are made to be in a full on race car and the clutch and shifting was strange. The clutch felt like nothing, no feel, light as a feather.. The shifting was very stiff, might be just because it's new.. idk but I did feel 3rd to be very notchy even during mild 4k+ shifts. The lack of a 6spd is also a let down (and i won't go near that auto-manual no clutch paddle shifting bull shit)

Car looks awesome in person. The one model was black, just looked mean..

As far as the Subie I have yet to drive it as they were really reluctant to let me take it out. I simply told the guy i can't buy a car i can't test drive and gave him my number and left. He called me today and said I can take it out but he needs my credit card, it can't be at night, and the salesman has to go with me. I work during the day so I guess I'll test it out after Xmas. I sat in it and the interior much nicer.. The seats seem like they would hold you fine and are yet still very comfortable. The clutch felt better and this model also had the short shifter which seemed to have more precise shifts than My S2K.. came out to $40k.

Just seeing if you guys had any thoughts about these models.. I know the subie motors are less than perfect and I'm not sure how much more power they can take before needing some major engine work.
Daily Driver - 2011 Toyota Prius - Black
Beater - 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Dust Colored

Last edited by dubbs; 12-20-2010 at 01:12 PM..
dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

$40K?

lolololololol......

Anyways, if you do a lot of commuting, get the Subie............The Lancer's ride & road noise & cheap interior would suck for that.

I rented a base Lancer, and on the highway it felt like being inside a snare drum because of all the road/tire noise.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
dubbs
Multistrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
$40K?

lolololololol......

Anyways, if you do a lot of commuting, get the Subie............The Lancer's ride & road noise & cheap interior would suck for that.

I rented a base Lancer, and on the highway it felt like being inside a snare drum because of all the road/tire noise.
Yeah I thought that 40k price tag was nuts. Had every dealer option already installed. Base price is 34k.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
goof2
AMA Supersport

Keep in mind, the Lancer Evo requires valve adjustments. The "scheduled" interval for inspections is now 60k miles but they say you need to deal with it if the valves get loud no matter the mileage. I think earlier Evos were down around 25k or 30k for valve adjustments if you were considering going used.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Evo had tq steer because the engine is still a transverse mount. It basically IS a ff layout

Personally I wouldn't spend money on either, maybe a genesis coupe turbo...maybe
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
dubbs
Multistrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Evo had tq steer because the engine is still a transverse mount. It basically IS a ff layout

Personally I wouldn't spend money on either, maybe a genesis coupe turbo...maybe
Yeah.. It snows a good amount around here.. I'd love to be able to take the car out in the snow with some good winter tires and tear shit up.

As I stare at my car in the garage around this time of the year.. it makes me want something more capable.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

My vote is, of course, for the Subie. I've just never been as in love with a car as I am with my WRX. I've yet to drive it in snow, but I WANT to. But in rain (and of course, just day to day driving), it's so very capable, and just a joy to drive.

That said, that "new car show with the fat hipster" tested the Evo X in ungodly snow, and it was seriously impressive. Haven't heard about 2011 STi in those conditions, but if you're looking at new models, it might be worth looking up the vid of that test drive.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

The evo X and the STi will both rip through the snow. I'm a mitsu fan so I side with the EVO but they are both racey amazing cars and can outrun cars much more expensive.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I can't believe they want all that crap to just test drive it. WTF

Good luck though. I think Top Gear U did a review/comparison of those 2 exact cars not that long ago... you should check it out.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #10
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
I can't believe they want all that crap to just test drive it. WTF
They were like that here as well.

I ended up testing a used STI with all season radials That thing slid all over the road.

I wasn't impressed with the kidney jar ride of the STI.

Fast car..no doubt..but for $32k I decided to get something a little more practical AND a sports car