Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n
Default For those of you who don't think kids have changed...

.... you're wrong.

I've lived in the same rental townhouse for what will be 40 years, in September. Moved there with my family when I was a kid and just held on.

When I was a kid we would throw the Frisbee or play soccer in the courtyard. If we hit a window, not broke it mind you but just hit it, we scattered. We knew that we had done something wrong.

The neighbourhood kids still play soccer in the courtyard, until as late as 11:00pm. Unfortunately my patio seems to be the western goal. All through the long weekend they were kicking the ball onto my patio, into my lawn furniture, my shed, my wall and windows...

The last straw was when they started fighting over the ball in my back yard not once, but over and over again. I finally went out there and yelled at them to get out, then to pick up all of the plastic drink bottles that they had tossed around the back yard. I also told them that if the ball hit my stuff one more time then I was going to take it, and they could tell their parents where to come and get it.

I never thought that I would become the, "GET OFF MY LAWN!" guy, but it's obvious that the parents of these kids haven't taught them well. At the very least they haven't taught them the fear of adults. Yes, things have actually changed.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Theres a ton of kids around my house and theyre always out playing. Apparently the PO was that guy (ok lady) who would yell at the kids and that sort of thing. I am fine if a ball goes in the yard or stuff like that and since the kids know I have an air compressor I am usualy the go to guy to fill up their soccer and basketballs. Most of the kids are prety well behaved which is nice. I just worry about the 2 kids across the street. They go darting into the street to get a ball like its nothing. Only amatter of time before one of em gets thumped. my wife and I slow down going past the house but one day someone may not.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

I understand that kids will be kids, and if it was just noise during the day then I would live with it. Unfortunately, especially in the summer, it goes on at all hours. They have no understanding of boundaries. Sure, you can go and get the ball out of someone's yard, but the tenth time that you bounce it off someone's window at full boot, or the fourth time 6 of you decide to fight over the ball in amongst someone's lawn furniture, you've gone too far.

And I've gotten tired of walking around the courtyard every day, to pick up the dozen plastic bottles that have just been left wherever they were, when the bottle went empty.

The parents are really no better. The unit next door to me looks like there's a constant yard sale going on, in both the front and back yards. People leave their open recycling bins in their yards, so crap blows all over the place. They show absolutely no pride in their homes and, of course, the kids do what they see.

The school across the street has two ball diamonds and a soccer field, that are empty most of the time. These kids aren't too young, to be crossing the street. Instead the parents send their kids to boot the ball off my back wall. One of the kids' parents actually went off on his own kid, and his friends, for doing exactly what they're doing to me, to him. Now that it isn't HIS home, it's apparently OK.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Just become the old man that walks around in his underwear mumbling shit. You are suppose to have an unconcealed weapon, but your canadian, that shit is frowned upon.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Just become the old man that walks around in his underwear mumbling shit. You are suppose to have an unconcealed weapon, but your canadian, that shit is frowned upon.
I'd rather be the Eastwood old dude. I've got my Marlin .44 lever. I already had words with a few of the kids' mothers, last summer, and no doubt will again. I'm already dealing with the property managed over the issues and my rent isn't going up this year, as a result.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Will they fence your yard?

Being Eastwood won't scare moms, being the creepy old man will make them think you are a pedo and will work. The point is not to look cool or try and be a bad ass, the point is to keep them away. Being creepy old man will...
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

This thread seems familar.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by defector View Post
This thread seems familar.
Yep, I was thinking the same thing.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #9
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Lol. A man only has so much patience. I'm at the point where I just tell everyone that has no business with me to get the hell off of my property.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Start inviting them in, while standing at your door in a sheer housecoat. They will stop playing in your back yard.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote