Old 04-17-2012, 01:45 AM   #2
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

Looks scary real

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2012/04...-they-do-that/
Old 04-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Full performance transcript below for those who can't see the video

Quote:
Dear momma
Years ago, you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him in Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, momma. You're my only hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Why can't they just let this guy go... Tupac the black Elvis.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Old 04-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Why can't they just let this guy go... Tupac the black Elvis.
I'm more interested in the technical aspects behind the performance than the performance itself.

Quote:
Hip-hop fans are dropping their collective jaw as word of the Tupac "hologram" is ricocheting around the Internet. As seen in the five-minute video, a three-dimensional Shakur is seen, shirtless, moving across the stage, and even greeting the crowd at the beginning with a stunning voice that sounds an awful lot like Tupac himself: "What the [f] is up, Coachella?"

The virtual rendition of the late rapper then proceeds to do renditions of two classic ‘Pac tracks, "Hail Mary" and "2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted," while gesturing and walking back and forth across the stage in an extremely lifelike manner, replete with Thug Life tattoos and his characteristic necklace. Twitter, unsurprisingly, has been abuzz with chatter—spawning an admittedly hilarious new account: @HologramTupac: "Anybody got a spare 54 AA sized batteries? I think Snoop done smoked my charger. #PlugLife"
Pepper's Ghost dates back to the 19th century
Pepper's Ghost dates back to the 19th century
British Museum

Only problem? This wasn’t a hologram at all. Rather, it was a clever optical illusion technique known as "Pepper’s Ghost," which dates back to a technique first described by an Italian scientist in the 16th century.

This combination of high-quality computer rendering and old-school optical trickery has impressed many experts.

"It is amazing, no question about it," David Brady, the head of the Duke Imaging and Spectroscopy Program at Duke University, told Ars on Monday. "The impressive thing here is how life-like and detailed and natural it seems, and that’s just an outcome of advances in computer rendering [rather] than display."

But of course, while Tupac may be the best (and possibly first posthumous) performance of a Pepper’s Ghost illusion, there have been plenty of others in recent years. Al Gore did it in 2007. Madonna and the Gorillaz did it in 2006. Richard Branson did it in 2005. Heck, even a Canadian backyard engineer built one in a few days for Halloween.

John Pepper, a British chemist, adapted a technique conceived by fellow Briton Henry Dircks, for use in the theater by the middle of the 19th century. As a result, the technique was named after him.

So here’s how it works: the audience needs to be able to see into the main room, but not into an adjacent hidden room. In the case of the Tupac "hologram," that’s the main stage where a real-life Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre were sharing the limelight. However, hidden on stage is a piece of glass, where the images can be reflected from and pushed into a target area that makes it seem like a single room. But off to the side, behind the glass, there’s a hidden room that has the original object being projected.

These days, AV Concepts, the San Diego-based company behind the Tupac performance, uses a proprietary Mylar foil, known as Musion Eyeliner, rather than glass. The company said in a press release on Monday that its on-site server "delivered uncompressed media for 3 stacked 1920 x 1080 images, delivering 54,000 lumens of incredibly clear projected imagery."

"For a large piece of glass to support its own weight on the 45-degree angle, it has to be very thick," explained James Rock, a creative director at Musion, a British company that has pioneered this technique, in a 2010 interview with the UK newspaper The Independent. "And that means you get a double image. It was called a Pepper's 'ghost' as the image wasn't very bright when using pre-electric light sources."

However, in this case, a high-quality digital rendering of Tupac was simply projected onto that foil.

"It’s a beautiful piece of CGI," said Michael Bove, the Object-Based Media group at the MIT Media Lab.

"This is digital substitution of a character who’s not here anymore—and that’s wonderful. And that’s the part we should be celebrating. The folks who made the content did a really lovely job. I’m surprised more people don’t know more about this because it’s been around since the middle of the 19th century," he said.

The company has been pretty quiet about the precise details of the Tupac performance, with company representatives being careful to say that it wasn’t a true hologram, but rather a "holographic illusion." This is despite the fact that the company’s own press release refers to it as a "hologram" and a "holographic projection." AV Concepts hasn’t said whether Tupac’s motion was taken from actual video footage of the rapper, or how the audio was created—Bove speculated that the audio may have been performed by a voice actor who sounds similar to Tupac.

"This was a beautiful piece of content, the stagecraft was very nice, but there were not a whole lot of breakthroughs in the display end," Bove said. "They did a nice job of generating the character—no question about that. But there’s less than meets the eye."
Old 04-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post
I'm more interested in the technical aspects behind the performance than the performance itself.
Well then just read up on that Japanese Hologram girl. LOL
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper's_ghost
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

So do they use some kind of video game software to create his body movements, stringing together a certain combination of gestures and stuff
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote