Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4
Default Brampton/Toronto Ontario Radio Skip

I was up in the mountains of western Maryland this weekend; we get some weird micro-climate stuff. Anywho I was driving along in the morning and, as usual, was having trouble pulling in any AM stations (I like talk radio when I'm driving) and suddenly got 1010 signal clear as a bell...except they were talking about backed up traffic on the 401 and the Gardiner Expressway and the latest scandal in Ottowa..... and I knew I wasn't in Kansas anymore, baby....

Anyway, it was pretty cool listening into another perspective, again. I grew up in northern Minnesota back in the 50's and 60's, my father worked as an announcer for a guy who had a number of radio stations in Ontario (CFOB in Ft Frances, as well as others in Kenora, Sudburyand Dryden (my mother went into labor with my brother while they were up at Dryden where my father was TDYing to help out, which is how my brother was born in Ontario)).

I grew up listening to Canadian news on CFOB, listening to my father, and I learned to read French from the cereal boxes and came to appreciate Habitant pea soup.....we were very poor, so my folks shopped with US dollars on the Canadian side to make the money go further. I remember the Quebec Separatist bombings back in the 60's and worrying about our friends who had to travel to Toronto and Montreal regularly during the time when things were really bad.

We lived in a very economically depressed area, and things on the Canadian side weren't much better; but everybody had friends on both sides of the border and most folks worked a couple of jobs...like my dad, who worked a day job, the night shift on the radio on the Canadian side, and janitor job on the weekends and we still lived barely hanging on.

It seemed like things were simpler back then (he said, wistfully).

Anyway, I got the signal for about an hour before it faded into static and this brief atmospheric anomaly brought back fond childhood memories.

To my brothers and sisters up north...have a safe winter as the riding season fades...
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

You have found the wormhole that connects western Maryland to Brampton. You may soon see more Sikh cab drivers on your roads, as a result. Beware.

I never did like Habitant Pea Soup. In my (poor) house it was Lipton chicken soup mix and bologna sandwiches for lunch. Or Kraft Dinner. Or those boxes that had the plastic bag of tangled, dried spaghetti and a small can of sauce. Can't remember what company made them, but I could have lived on that stuff. Oh yeah, it had a little pack of Parmesan cheese in it too.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/

Last edited by Papa_Complex; 10-20-2010 at 08:47 AM..
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

For a treat we did those boxed pizza kits...add water to the dough mix, tip out the sauce and sprinkle on the dried cheese... don't remember who made them... but back then, they were great, especially with some canned mushrooms.....

That and a glass of Tang and we were in heaven...............
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

That's pretty cool
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
For a treat we did those boxed pizza kits...add water to the dough mix, tip out the sauce and sprinkle on the dried cheese... don't remember who made them... but back then, they were great, especially with some canned mushrooms.....

That and a glass of Tang and we were in heaven...............
There were a bunch of them. Later on they started putting in a can of sauce, a can of pre-made dough, and a little packet of Parmesan. We would get the Chef Boyardee ones. I think they're still available somewhere.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote