Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing
Default Anyone using double edge razors?

I'm on my last cartridge for my Gillette Fusion. So, instead of paying the 10 or 12 bucks for 4 cartridges, I've sprung for a double edge razor. I've read some good things about them, but was wondering if anyone here was using one. If so, what kind, and what blades are you using?

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I am on the Gillette right now cause they had good coupons! But I will gladly cut my face with almost anything...The Gillette shave gel rocks BTW.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Well, you know I am.
A few of the more popular brands are:

Derby Extra
Gillette 7 o'clock 'SharpEdge' (yellow box)
Gillette Platinum (aka. 'Blue Swedes')
Israeli Personnas
Crystals (similar to the Personnas)
Feather

Check out the blade sampler packs from West Coast Shaving.
That's how I got started.
You'll want to stick with one type of blade for a few weeks to get your technique down and then try different types to see what works best with your razor.
Speaking of which... what DE did you end up getting?

Last edited by Adeptus_Minor; 02-26-2009 at 04:32 PM..
Adeptus_Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Im curious, (and lazy) what exactly is this doule edged razor phenom? Laymans terms...
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Simply put... sometimes, despite marketing, old things are still better than new.
Though 3, 4, 5, eleventy-dozen blades in a cartridge might slice through a 3 day growth like a hot knife through butter, it isn't necessarily giving you a comfortable shave. Also, a lot of people (myself included) have issues with ingrown hairs because of the whole "lift and cut" method.
Or, to hear it a bit more eloquently put, consult Mantic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufG1d...BA7608&index=6
Old 02-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
the chi
Forum Coach

Interesting, thanks for the tutorial! I wonder if I should look into getting one for my legs...mmmm....
Old 02-26-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Well, I shant lie.
It does take more time because you're not whisking away all the hair in a single pass, but once (if) you get a feel for it, you won't mind setting aside a few extra minutes for it.

The other part of old style shaving is, you can get away from the modern canned goo. When you can find products that actually smell good and make your skin feel good, shaving becomes less of a chore and more like something you look forward to.
Of course, this is also where what you save on the blades is balanced out by what you spend for some shaving soap from England, a badger hair brush, a mug and/or scuttle.. etc.

For me there was another draw... I love old stuff.
I've only been into DE shaving since last March or April and I've already amassed a small collection of razors my father's age and older. One of my favorites is old enough that my 82 year old grandfather could have had it as his first razor.

Yeah... I'm turning into a bit of a shavegeek
Old 02-26-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
Well, I shant lie.
It does take more time because you're not whisking away all the hair in a single pass, but once (if) you get a feel for it, you won't mind setting aside a few extra minutes for it.

The other part of old style shaving is, you can get away from the modern canned goo. When you can find products that actually smell good and make your skin feel good, shaving becomes less of a chore and more like something you look forward to.
Of course, this is also where what you save on the blades is balanced out by what you spend for some shaving soap from England, a badger hair brush, a mug and/or scuttle.. etc.

For me there was another draw... I love old stuff.
I've only been into DE shaving since last March or April and I've already amassed a small collection of razors my father's age and older. One of my favorites is old enough that my 82 year old grandfather could have had it as his first razor.

Yeah... I'm turning into a bit of a shavegeek
Shave geek huh? If it helps, I have an antique style, cant remember what its called, but watch any old western where they use the flip blade and the leather strop, thats what ive got. According to family legend, some member of my family lived in the same town as Wyatt Earp and that was his razor. I still have the original cardboard and leather case too...

You mentioned the accessories, is it something I could do in the shower with my bath stuff or is it more high maintenance?

I know my guy might like it, he has super sensitive skin and he HATES shaving because it causes him pain and irritation like the video showed.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

I'm switching because my skin is getting torn up no matter what I do, so I need to do something. I kept coming across recommendations for double edge razors to help (as well as proper lather techniques) so I figure it's as good a time as any to switch. Picked up a nice looking Parker 22R from Amazon that should be here tomorrow. If it works well, it will end up paying for itself in the savings from buying the blades over buying cartridges for a Fusion or Mach 3. 10 blades for 6 bucks beats the shit outta 4 cartridges for $10 or $12. More if I buy bulk. That alone is almost worth it.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Shave geek huh? If it helps, I have an antique style, cant remember what its called, but watch any old western where they use the flip blade and the leather strop, thats what ive got. According to family legend, some member of my family lived in the same town as Wyatt Earp and that was his razor. I still have the original cardboard and leather case too...

You mentioned the accessories, is it something I could do in the shower with my bath stuff or is it more high maintenance?
Ah yes... a straight razor (aka. 'cutthroat' )
A lot of people still use those and wouldn't use anything else.
To see one in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdqmEPvKZxM

And yes, you could use a DE or straight in the shower if you so desire.
The key elements are prepping the area to be shaved (hot water, soap) a good, slick, cushioning lather, and taking your time with the razor itself.

Corey, I've heard good and bad about the Parkers. It could just be shaver elitism, but if you feel like you aren't getting good results with it, let me know and I'll let you borrow one of my 1930's Gillettes to use as a comparison.
(clean & Barbicide sanitized, ofc)