Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R
Default What is your preferred riding style?

A few of the comments in this thread http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthrea...t=18324&page=5 got me thinking about preferred riding styles so I thought I'd ask....

What is your preferred riding style? Up tempo all the time? Challenging the twisties? Racing your friends...showing off at bike night? Over the road rides to see what's out there? Track days only? What is it about your ride that keeps you interested?

I prefer to ride alone....I do have one friend that I enjoy riding with as I trust him. He and I have ridden thousands of miles together and I've never once been left asking "What the fuck is he doing?" in my helmet. Riding friends like that have been the exception rather than the rule for me. I did have another riding friend whom I trusted but he moved to Little Rock, Arkansas. Which sucks...but...it does provide a good excuse to get down to the mountains of Arkansas more often.

My preferences have changed over the years....lately I'm drifting more and more towards "the journey is more interesting than the destination" type riding....getting on my bike and going someplace I've not been before...taking the back roads...and EXPLORING.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Balls deep... that's my riding style...

I prefer riding at about 75% and under in the twisties... cruising speed up to about 85MPH... Random opening 'er up on deserted straight aways... Destination based riding with and without an agenda... and just going out and getting lost as fuck. Dawn till dusk, only stopping for gas, food, and to piss... all three each stop.

I despise bike nights... sitting around next to your bike is just a waste of time IMHO... I ride to RIDE, not to socialize... that's good for after the ride.

I feel comfortable riding with my old man, my uncles, etc... they take a nice leisurely pace and are all quite competent riders (with hundreds of thousands of miles under their belts)... Sport riding, I find it hard to find people to ride with... Drewpy is my top choice because (at the time) our skills were quite even and our willingness to take chances was on even keel as well. There was another guy, EagleriderDRZ who I liked riding with in Ohio, but I only ever rode with him a couple of times...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #3
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Full gear, full throttle, no regrets!

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

my style depends on my mood and day of the week it seems, somedays I'm leading the group through our favorite twisties with the confidence of SUPERMAN and somedays I want to simply be at the back of the pack taking it easy, I'm definately not a have to be going balls to the walls on every outing type. I would say I'd fall in the middle of most enjoying a moderate pace.

I don't ride to look good or attract any attention from other, I don't ride to show off, I love to go venture out see a new road and venture down it just to see where it goes.... I'd much rather be riding in some rural area even if by myself vs going to a bike night. I may go to 3-4 bikes nights a year with some friends, I go over to the dragstrip maybe 3-4 times a year, but I mostly want to be up in the mountains just riding.... For example I did 380-390 miles of riding this past Sunday....

Last edited by tached1000rr; 02-22-2011 at 11:50 AM..
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

I used to go everywhere at double or more the limit. Then I started to tour more, only wicking it up in the twisties. Now I'm pretty much just a commuter since the sprawl around Toronto has overtaken most of the good local roads, and our racing and stunting law is essentially roadside conviction and punishment. If I need a speed fix, I'll go back to the track.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I like riding twisty country roads in various states of shabbiness including gravel. Stopping at old country stores that have candy on the shelves from the 50s and an old woman slinging burgers in the back. Found some good food that way. Basically in places that would hang tigger from a tree.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
CasterTroy

Front wheel in the air, bouncing off the rev limiter, going absolutely as hard as I can go for as long as I can take it.

This is also one of the reasons I can’t ride on the street any more….I’m honestly a madman when I get the throttle in my hand and crank the engine. Even riding the RT I HAD to push it to its lean angle limits.

On a bike I have no self control
Old 02-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
...Stopping at old country stores that have candy on the shelves from the 50s and an old woman slinging burgers in the back. Found some good food that way. Basically in places that would hang tigger from a tree.
I do this a lot too....ride around the Flint Hills stopping in sleepy little "intersection towns" to have lunch at a local mom and pop diner....Emma Chase Cafe in Cottonwood Falls in nice....as is the Flint Hills Cafe in Strong City....lots of little out of the way places to see and experience if you care to stop long enough to check it out.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #9
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Depends on my mood. I do prefer the track because I can feel myself relax there and get into a groove. The street is a hit or miss, either I'm in the groove and riding well or I am not. Those are not very fun times for me.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Rubber side down. I have fun no matter how I'm riding, as long as I'm riding.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote