Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650
Default Healthcare and riding

So rumor has it that the only Level 1 trauma center may be closing here in Las Vegas. Our Level 1 trauma center is provided by our county hospital. If that happens, I am guessing people will have to be life flighted to California or Pheonix. Somehow I doubt that would happen but you never know.

Healthcare here is pretty bad here in Vegas and being a nursing student and doing rotations in different hospitals, I know I don't want to ever be sick here requiring hospitalization, let alone having life threatening injuries.

If this was happening in your hometown would you think 2x about riding? If our trauma center closes down, I think I am pretty much moving out of here!
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Not at all, I find myself all over, and never really know what kind of medical care is available where I am.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:06 AM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Not at all, I find myself all over, and never really know what kind of medical care is available where I am.
Pretty accurate for me as well. I travel a lot, too.... Shit happens everywhere (and not just on a motorcycle). Spending time worrying about that is counterproductive.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Naww... Its not something I even think about. There could be no hospitals for 1000 miles, and I still wouldnt quit riding.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Naww... Its not something I even think about. There could be no hospitals for 1000 miles, and I still wouldnt quit riding.
This.

Though, I would think about LIVING in a place that has bad (or no) medical support.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

If I were worried about your scenario Gina, I would curl up in a ball and sit on the steps of the emergency room.

Accidents can happen in every aspect of our life, not just while we are on motorcycles. I've had some "oh shit" moments thanks to wildlife where I had a) no cell service, and b) was several hundred miles removed from anything that really resembled a decent sized town or civilization. If something had happened, I would have been on my own.

I carry a first-aid kit, and am prepared to use the items in it. If something is required beyond what I have in that kit, then I have bigger problems.

You can either worry about living life, or live life. I choose to live life.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

You can either worry about living life, or live life. I choose to live life.
You da man.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
Ninjakel
Post whorette

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600-

I agree with Tracy.

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman
Ninjakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #9
CasterTroy

Since getting back into dirt riding I've found several "parks" that are several thousand of acres.

One has 9 trails.....trail #1 is 24 MILES long and covers the outskirts of the park which is in the mountains of NC. This one in particular is in North Wilkesboro. NW has a decent hospital, but they send trauma to Baptist 70 miles away in Winston Salem. And I'm 20+ miles away from NW. And the trails they have there actually ride along the edge of cliffs that are 300-400 feet to the bottom.

The fact that at one point or another I can be 10 miles (as the crow flies) from the park office in deep brush with hundreds of feet of elevation change doesn't bother me.

I know that if I'm hurt bad enough I'd have to wait for a helicopter to land at the park and for them to take a RTV up the whole trail to get to me before I even started receiving any aid whatsoever.

Now granted…if my MOTHER knew this, I’d never hear the end of it but as for me..I don’t worry. I do like Trace said and I live!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #10
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
This.

Though, I would think about LIVING in a place that has bad (or no) medical support.
Vegas has been either 49 or 50th in medical care for the past several years!
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote