Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-25-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n
Default Photographers: How do you carry?

We seem to have enough shooters in this place that I figure I might get an answer. I'm looking for a better solution, for carrying a couple of SLR cameras and maybe another long lens around the track.

Up until this point I've been using a Lowepro Slingshot 300AW and it does a fairly good job, but it gets a bit fatiguing after a day around the track and won't hold a 3rd long lens and second body. It's kind of tough to jump the pit wall while wearing it too.

One of the thoughts that I've had is the Lowepro (yeah, I like their stuff ) mesh photographer's vest with a couple of body bags fitted for long lenses, a lens case for another lens, and a couple of small pouches for the little stuff, like sparer memory and filters.

Anyone have a solution that works for them? Anyone tried what I'm thinkin g of? Ideas?
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

http://www.tamrac.com/frame_exp.htm

I dont personally Have it...But have seen one.

Thing is a Monster
Old 12-25-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Yup, that's pretty damned big! Unfortunately that works against it in this case. I'm trying to figure out something that I could use, that I wouldn't need to put down every time that I start to shoot. The 300AW sling bag is pretty convenient because it's a side loader, but unfortunately I've moved into pro grade optics and that limits the number that I can carry at a time in this:

Old 12-26-2008, 03:36 AM   #4
thunderex
Kneedragger

Moto: 2004 Aprilia Tuono

I use a LowePro Vertex. It's more inconvenient than the Sling bag (I have the 200) but it holds more and is more comfortable. I don't really have a solution for your need for quick changes.
thunderex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

The Vertex and that Tamrac Expedition both look very similar in design. I like that they both have a place for a monopod or tripod; that would be very convenient. It's one thing that's missing from the Slingshot.

Typically around the track, I see the other shooters walking around with one big white "L" lens. Usually something like a 500 F4 IS, which is likely worth my camera body and two best lenses. They don't generally use multiple lenses because they shoot in teams, with each shooter being responsible for soemthing specific. I'm working on my own, so I have to have multiple lenses. The more convenient I can make that and the easier I can move around, the better.

If I was shooting normal and wide, then there would be an easy solution. Then I could just get myself one of the two camera neck straps and be done. This should give you an idea why that wouldn't work; Zuiko 35-100 F2.0, Sigma 50-500 F4.5-6.3, and Zuiko 50-200 F2.8-3.5. I'm thinking of leaving the 50-500 in the car and using a 2x teleconverter instead, but that would cost me both in reach and focus speed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QC265023.jpg (43.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-27-2008, 02:58 AM   #6
thunderex
Kneedragger

Moto: 2004 Aprilia Tuono

The Bigma covers the long Zuiko's range. Is there a reason for carrying the 50-200 while you have the 50-500? Just for the faster aperture? It just seems like you have a lot of overlap in your lenses. Could you do with the Bigma and a medium prime like a 50 for short DOF shots? What length are you generally using the 35-100 in?
thunderex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:11 AM   #7
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderex View Post
The Bigma covers the long Zuiko's range. Is there a reason for carrying the 50-200 while you have the 50-500? Just for the faster aperture? It just seems like you have a lot of overlap in your lenses. Could you do with the Bigma and a medium prime like a 50 for short DOF shots? What length are you generally using the 35-100 in?
There is a lot of overlap, but they have different purposes. I have considered leaving the 50-200 behind but always end up regretting it, and primes just don't cut it in my kind of shooting. You just can't do the 'human zoom' when you're surrounded by a hundred racers, crew, and family with pocket cams. Then there are the dozen cut-throat pros who are all trying to get that perfect shot to the point that they'll put themselves right in front of you, so that you can't get yours.

35-100 F2.0 - Podium shots and the odd portrait, or candid. I can leave it behind during Friday (practise) and Saturday (qualifying) during regional racing rounds, but have to carry it on both Saturday and Sunday on national weekends, because they are usually double-headers.

50-200 F2.8-3.5 SWD - My main candid lens. It's bright enough to reach into darkened canopies and long enough that I get REAL candids, instead of people starting to pose when they see me coming. It also replaces the Bigma on cloudy days, at the cost of a lot of reach.

50-500 F4.0-6.3 HSM - I took a look at it and I had the low end aperture wrong, though it's really damned near just a F6.3. My lens for on-track work. I rarely actually go out into the corners because it takes too long to get back off, so the reach is a necessity. Obviously best in full sunlight when shooting fast moving objects.

I left out my 14-54 F2.8-3.5 because it's usually on my backup body (E-510) and the combination is so small, that it isn't an issue.

If I could park under the podium then it wouldn't be an issue. I'd just go back to get what I needed at the time. That isn't an option at my normal track though and DEFINITELY not at a larger park like Mosport, or Calabogie.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
Yamerhaw
Country Boy

Moto: 07 R1

used to have a tamrac a while back, now have this and I LOVE it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d8_1_b.jpg (21.8 KB, 62 views)

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
Yamerhaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #9
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Got any internal shots of it?

While I'm trying to answer a specific question, we could always throw this open so that everyone could fish for ideas.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:22 PM   #10
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Typically around the track, I see the other shooters walking around with one big white "L" lens. Usually something like a 500 F4 IS, which is likely worth my camera body and two best lenses.

<~~~~~ Guilty.

*hugs his 100-400m L*

F'king lense is awesome.

Anyways I typically just carry my Adventure 10 here but it doesn't fit the long lense, so i just carry around another backpack too.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote