Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-13-2009, 12:34 AM   #1
MissHell
Followed the crowd over.

Moto: '07 Yahama R6
Angry Fraud charges on my Mastercard

Mastercard called me today to inquire about unusual activity on my card. I do not use it on a regular basis, but was using it for some Christmas purchases. Thankfully they denied the purchase and my account is now closed.

Attempt was made on-line for $550.00 purchase. I am glad it was taken care of quickly, but still sucks it happened.
MissHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:43 AM   #2
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

I have no doubt fraud, robberies and theft will all go up as the economy slips. The good thing about fraudulent charges (that sounds ridiculous but I can't think of a better wording) is you're usually not impacted more than needing to remember a new card number.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:57 AM   #3
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

I had a fraudulent charge on my debit card about year ago. Whatever it was it was used online, and somehow they used an old email address of mine on the site. It was for 49.99, and the company refunded the money...
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:44 AM   #4
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
I have no doubt fraud, robberies and theft will all go up as the economy slips. The good thing about fraudulent charges (that sounds ridiculous but I can't think of a better wording) is you're usually not impacted more than needing to remember a new card number.
I have a feeling that we'd all be pretty damned shocked if the real extent of credit and debit card fraud was known.
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Z finally got her $ back last week, the frad. charges on her debit car were before x-mas.

better a charge card then debit card, cuz the bank holds your $
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Wow. That sucks. I'm glad companies have a better handle on it than they used to. Quick question - y'all determine where they nabbed your info from?

On another note, I got this email today - not even shy about their weak attempt:
Quote:
From: Yahoo! Account Services <yahoo-account-services@cc.yahoo-inc.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:42:22 AM
Subject: Account Suspension.. Verify Your Account now. Message ID: 484021

The All-New Yahoo! You Must Be A Part Of It To Avoid De-activativation Of Your Yahoo Account.

The All-New Yahoo! Mail Beta Is:
Faster: Fewer steps to get things done.
Easier: Drag & drop organization.
Effortless: Automatically checks email for you.

With the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta you must fill the Informations Below To Verify Your Account, PleaseThis For Your Benefit. Read Below To Understand More.

Dear Yahoo User,

Due to the congestion of Yahoo users, Yahoo would be shutting down all unused Accounts, You will have to confirm your E-mail by filling out your Login Information below after clicking the reply button, or your account will be suspended within 24 hours for security reasons.

* Username: .................................

* Password: ...................................

* Date of Birth: ................................

* Country Or Territory: .................................

After following the instructions in the above, your account will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Thanks for your attention to this request. We apologize for any inconveniences.

Warning!!! Whosoever that refuses to update his/her account after two weeks of receiving this warning will lose his or her account permanently.

Copyright © 2008 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright/IP Policy - Terms of Service - Guide to Online Security
NOTICE: We collect personal information on this site. To learn more about how we use your information, see our Privacy Policy

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Wow. That sucks. I'm glad companies have a better handle on it than they used to. Quick question - y'all determine where they nabbed your info from?

On another note, I got this email today - not even shy about their weak attempt:
How many dumb assholes fell for that one?
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Between fraud and my 401K and IRA tanking I finally understand why the old folks kept their money under the mattress!!
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
How many dumb assholes fell for that one?
Probably even more than fall for the fake messages from banks. I just got another one from Fifth Third Bank. I'm not even American.
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #10
Librarian
Helmets Optional

Moto: '85 K100 and a DL650AK9

An odd one I've run into twice in the last six months is where you see a charge, on my debit card in this case, for a small amount of money ($8.95 or $12.21 or something like that) and there is an 800 number in the name of the company that the money went to. You call the number and they say "oh, sorry, we'll give you an immediate refund" and they actually do give you an immediate credit back on your account.

No problem, huh?

Well, if they make (just an estimate for shits and giggles) 100,000 of these charges per month, what percentage of them are going to be checked on by the cardholder? My guess is maybe 25%, but let's say it's 50% that actually get a refund. So...

50,000 successful charges at an average of $10.00 per charge equals $500,000.00 gross profit per month. Minus nearly 10% for banking fees for all those card transactions, and minus the expense of personnel and phones, leaves over $400,000.00 per month. Now I have to admit that it is a lot of work to get all those card numbers, so let's say they are spending $50,000 a month to someone who steals numbers wholesale. That leaves $350,000 net profit per month, or $4.2 million per year.

Of course these are fraudulent charges you say? They can't just keep operating month after month, can they? Well, yes they can. I talked to both some people in the FBI and in the office of the California Attorney General and neither office wanted to even take a statement from me. Why? Because the amount of each transaction is too low and because they refunded my money when I asked them to.

Now, if you have a business banking account, a credit card machine, and an 800 number, you could be well on your way to loads of money, if you can get your hands on a lot of credit card numbers that is....

What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody ever asks to see 'em?
-- Calvin (Calvin & Hobbes)
Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote