Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-10-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...
Default A matter of risk...

I may have a line one a new job, but there is a certain amount of risk involved in the position.

Long story short I may have an opportunity to work for a local newspaper, a subsidiary of The Chicago Tribune. Essentially I would be in the same call center game but with considerably less responsibility and potentially a bit more money.... Like an extra $600 or so take home per month (which I could certainly use). Its more of a technical role and would be less hours and far less stress...

But...

Its in what I know to be a failing industry. This particular department is growing significantly to increase circulation and has been successful. I'm thinking that it could be an OK move from the standpoint that it seems secure for the interim but I have no illusions that I will be there forever. I would be leaving a high stress long hour but stable position which has me contemplating if it would be a good move. I cite the quality of life improvements as my main factor for consideration but stability is a huge concern.

Thoughts?
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I may have a line one a new job, but there is a certain amount of risk involved in the position.

Long story short I may have an opportunity to work for a local newspaper, a subsidiary of The Chicago Tribune. Essentially I would be in the same call center game but with considerably less responsibility and potentially a bit more money.... Like an extra $600 or so take home per month (which I could certainly use). Its more of a technical role and would be less hours and far less stress...

But...

Its in what I know to be a failing industry. This particular department is growing significantly to increase circulation and has been successful. I'm thinking that it could be an OK move from the standpoint that it seems secure for the interim but I have no illusions that I will be there forever. I would be leaving a high stress long hour but stable position which has me contemplating if it would be a good move. I cite the quality of life improvements as my main factor for consideration but stability is a huge concern.

Thoughts?
I'd pass, personally. I worked in media, tv news specifically. The only area of media worse off than TV is print. I'd be willing to put money on the fact that that job isn't stable for very long.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
CasterTroy

Can you go back?

I left a small, go nowhere career-wise, but UBER stable firm, to pursue a career in a large engineering firm out of DC with VAST promotion potential, but high turnover rate.

Long story short I did really well and was quickly promoted and received numerous raises.....BUT..I wouldn't move to DC and the market went to shit so they closed the NC office.

I ended up making a huge jump in pay...HUGE...but was still in good standing with the small, go nowhere, firm. I negotiated a midpoint of salary and didn't lose much, but gained leaps and bounds over if I'd stayed. But I'm back at the stable small firm.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I agree, that's too dangerous of an industry to get into, I would keep looking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Noticed I said "worked"...there's a reason I got out. I was a lot more lucky than some of my co-workers.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
t-homo
WSB Champion

Or you could just say fuck it, take the job for a few years, and see what life brings you next.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #7
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

What's a "newspaper"?

JC
Old 12-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
What's a "newspaper"?

JC
That pretty much sums it up.

Quote:
Old 12-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
pdog
Refugee

Moto: Pimped 2005 SV650

Who cares about the industry? You didn't really say what you do but role is far more important: newspaper editors are screwed, yes, but good IT people (for instance) can work anywhere. It's not unusual to see IT people with a new job every 1-2 years, especially if they worked at smaller firms.
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog View Post
It's not unusual to see IT people with a new job every 1-2 years, especially if they worked at smaller firms.
OK, real question.

Why is OK for IT to change jobs every few years, but any other field you look like a loser who can't/won't keep a job?