Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 07-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n
Default SO much could be said about this, but it won't be

It took place in an Ontario Housing complex (assisted housing). Reports say that it was a shoot-out between two people, one of whom is hospitalized and in custody (wonder who dissed who?). Apparently no one saw anything (so what's new?).

The pictures say the rest.

Scarborough shootings: Two killed, 19 injured as bullets fly at barbecue

Jessica McDiarmid, Graham Slaughter, Alexandra Bosanac, Jennifer Yang and Liam Casey
Staff Reporters

A teenage girl and a man in his early 20s are dead and 19 people wounded after bullets flew at a large barbecue party in Scarborough.

“This is the worst incident of gun violence anywhere in North America. It’s very shocking. A lot of innocent people were injured tonight,” Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair said at the scene, his voice wavering.

“Tonight’s event is unprecedented. It’s going to be shocking to everyone in Toronto, to everyone in Canada.”

A suspect was hospitalized and is in police custody, Blair said, addressing the media early Tuesday morning. Police are still looking for other suspects.

Hundreds of young people were outdoors at the barbecue outside 193 Danzig St. when gunfire broke out just before 11 p.m. Monday.

Police say the 21 victims, one a toddler under 3, were rushed to emergency rooms across the city.

“Some of them are very young. Very young,” said Tony Iagallo, an EMS spokesperson.

A teenage girl and a man believed to be in his early 20s, were pronounced dead at the scene, Blair said.

Other victims suffered injuries from trampling and were treated in a paramedic bus.

Witnesses in the residential neighbourhood say they heard six or more shots coming from the barbecue on Danzig St., in the Morningside Ave. and Lawrence Ave. E. area

Ambulances, police cruisers and medical buses lined the street as hundreds of people sat outside their homes. Police dogs prowled the area as officers searched for suspects.

Police requested a paramedic bus to hold the less seriously injured victims.

A handgun was recovered nearby.

Claudia Wilson said her 20-year-old daughter was at the barbecue when the shooting took place.

“Suddenly she was dodging bullets over there,” said Wilson, her daughter crying nearby.

“They were all in one place and all of a sudden the shots were fired, no one knows where they came from.”

One woman reportedly hit by a bullet was carrying a baby.

A woman said her 17-year-old niece was shot in the arm and was in one of the medic buses.

Others in the neighbourhood were shocked and frightened by the chaos.

“I came out and there were bodies and stretchers everywhere,” said one woman on the scene.

Victims range in age from infancy to mid-20s, police said.

“This is senseless. This is ridiculous,” said Sharon Reynolds, who has lived her whole life on the street.

Leighton Robinson said his nephew’s girlfriend, in her early 20s, was shot in the arm.

He said he got a call from his niece and she told him about the injury.

She said, “Uncle Leighton, what’s going on?”

Robinson said he’s lived in Toronto since 1970 and thinks things are getting worse in the city.

“Basically it sickens me. . . . It never used to be this way,” he said. “The new players in the game are playing it wrong.”

Renald Mars heard loud bangs, perhaps six or seven, as he was riding his bike past the area. Then he saw police cruisers roaring by.

“I saw that and thought, ‘Wow, this is serious.’ ”

Some people at the scene expressed anger at what they called the slow response time by the police.

There were six shootings in the 43 Division before Monday’s gunfire, Blair said. These are the city’s 27th and 28th homicides of the year.

This is the second time innocent bystanders were wounded in crossfire in recent weeks. On June 2, several bystanders were hit by rogue bullets after a gunman opened fire in a crowded food court at Toronto's Eaton Centre. One man was killed in that incident and another died of his injuries days later.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/

Last edited by Papa_Complex; 07-17-2012 at 09:31 AM..
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

I've gotta ask. Are handguns legal in Toronto?

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
I've gotta ask. Are handguns legal in Toronto?
You can legally own a handgun in Canada, but the process to obtain a license requires RCMP security checks and fingerprinting. I've got a Restricted Weapons license, at the lowest level. The two levels above allow transport to a gun range and carry. A carry permit is virtually unheard of, as it requires demonstrating need. I've only met one civilian who had one, in fact.

The vast majority of gun crime, in Toronto, involves illegal guns that are held by gang members. Even with that, our gun crime rates are a fraction of those in American cities of equal size. Having a running gunfight in a community barbecue, however, tends to scare people.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Holy crap

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Just another day in America

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...07-17-08-43-22
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
“This is the worst incident of gun violence anywhere in North America. It’s very shocking. A lot of innocent people were injured tonight,” Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair said at the scene, his voice wavering.
Huh? How is it "the worst"?

The worst on July 16th, maybe. But certainly not the worst this month, much less this year.

Quote:
“Tonight’s event is unprecedented. It’s going to be shocking to everyone in Toronto, to everyone in Canada.”
seriously?

2 people killed, big deal. OK, so there were a lot of injuries as well, but so what? I fail to see how this is such a big story, except for the typical "OMG, it happened at a sweet innocent playground with little kids present"
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Thats a slow weekend in brooklyn. All summer shit like that happens at parties/bbq's Someone gets dissed so they go get their gun and start shooting.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Obviously the police chief needs to read a newspaper, once in a while. I remember a worse one in Brampton, from when I was a kid. Teenager walked into his high school and blew away his best friend, then a teacher, and wounded a dozen others. Dozens of kids were injured as they jumped from second floor windows, to get away from him. Happened a couple of miles from my school, at the time. It's also what sparked our biggest changes in gun laws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centenn...chool_shooting

From what I understand, Chicago equals Toronto's annual murder rate, every two seeks or so.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Obviously the police chief needs to read a newspaper, once in a while. I remember a worse one in Brampton, from when I was a kid. Teenager walked into his high school and blew away his best friend, then a teacher, and wounded a dozen others. Dozens of kids were injured as they jumped from second floor windows, to get away from him. Happened a couple of miles from my school, at the time. It's also what sparked our biggest changes in gun laws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centenn...chool_shooting

From what I understand, Chicago equals Toronto's annual murder rate, every two seeks or so.
Chicago has been prety bad and theres been an uptick in the murder rate in NYC this year as well.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Chicago has been prety bad and theres been an uptick in the murder rate in NYC this year as well.
That's because it's been so freaking HOT in NYC

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote