Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-16-2009, 08:07 AM   #1
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory
Default Pit Bulls are so yesterday.........

i had seen this pic a while back, alot of ? as to whether real or not........

they're real

http://www.michaelstevenson.com/cont...ndex2.htm#text
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hyena.jpg (102.2 KB, 131 views)
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
shmike
Follower

I guess African and African-American blacks aren't so different afterall.

Last edited by shmike; 07-16-2009 at 09:16 AM..
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #3
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Yep seen them before as well as this one. I used to own a few Pits but a leashed hyena or baboon does seem pretty crazy.

z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
Rider
Moto GP Star

Why is the hyena not eating the monkey?
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
I guess African and African-American blacks aren't so different afterall.

In Abuja we found them living on the periphery of the city in a shantytown - a group of men, a little girl, three hyenas, four monkeys and a few rock pythons. It turned out that they were a group of itinerant minstrels, performers who used the animals to entertain crowds and sell traditional medicines. The animal handlers were all related to each other and were practising a tradition passed down from generation to generation. I spent eight days travelling with them.

The spectacle caused by this group walking down busy market streets was overwhelming. I tried photographing this but failed, perhaps because I wasn't interested in their performances. I realised that what I found fascinating was the hybridisation of the urban and the wild, and the paradoxical relationship that the handlers have with their animals - sometimes doting and affectionate, sometimes brutal and cruel. I started looking for situations where these contrasting elements became apparent. I decided to concentrate on portraits. I would go for a walk with one of the performers, often just in the city streets, and, if opportunity presented itself, take a photograph. We travelled around from city to city, often chartering public mini-buses.

I agreed to travel with the animal wranglers to Kanu in the northern part of the country. One of them set out to negotiate a fare with a taxi driver; everyone else, including myself and the hyenas, monkeys and rock pythons, hid in the bushes. When their companion signalled that he had agreed on a fare, the motley troupe of humans and animals leapt out from behind the bushes and jumped into the vehicle. The taxi driver was completely horrified. I sat upfront with a monkey and the driver. He drove like an absolute maniac. At one stage the monkey was terrified by his driving. It grabbed hold of my leg and stared into my eyes. I could see its fear.

Two years later I decided to go back to Nigeria. The project felt unresolved and I was ready to engage with the group again. I look back at the notebooks I had kept while with them. The words 'dominance', 'codependence' and 'submission' kept appearing. These pictures depict much more than an exotic group of travelling performers in West Africa. The motifs that linger are the fraught relationships we have with ourselves, with animals and with nature.

The second trip was very different. By this stage there was a stronger personal relationship between myself and the group. We had remained in contact and they were keen to be photographed again. The images from this journey are less formal and more intimate.

The first series of pictures had caused varying reactions from people - inquisitiveness, disbelief and repulsion. People were fascinated by them, just as I had been by that first cellphone photograph. A director of a large security company in the USA contacted me, asking how to get in touch with the 'hyena group'. He saw marketing potential: surely these men must use some type of herb to protect themselves against hyenas, baboons, dogs and snakes? He thought that security guards, soldiers and his own pocket could benefit from this medicine.

Many animal-rights groups also contacted me, wanting to intervene (however, the keepers have permits from the Nigerian government). When I asked Nigerians, "How do you feel about the way they treat animals?", the question confused people. Their responses always involved issues of economic survival. Seldom did anyone express strong concern for the well-being of the creatures. Europeans invariably only ask about the welfare of the animals but this question misses the point. Instead, perhaps, we could ask why these performers need to catch wild animals to make a living. Or why they are economically marginalised. Or why Nigeria, the world's sixth largest exporter of oil, is in such a state of disarray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
blah, blah, blahThanks, Paul.

I wasn't sure what that whole hyperlink thing was for anyway.
Thanks, Paul.

Taint.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Thanks, Paul.

Taint.
TAINT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
shmike
Follower

Old 07-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
TAINT
It's what's for dinner.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Well, if you absolutely have to have the toughest, scariest dog on the block, hyenas will do it for you.
Personally, you couldn't pay me to own one...