Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Moto: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R
Default Great Dane Rescue

My wife and I are looking into rescuing a Great Dane, anyone have hints or other help with what to be looking for and expect? We have a huge yard, huge house, lots of play area, 3 kids(sometimes...sometimes 7) a cat and a Min Pin for her to play with. She is four and a half months old shots up to date and I think she is spayed...not positive on that. I love Danes and have wanted one for a long time, loved to take my buddy's dogs when he would go out of town. Thanks all.

Cry Havok! And let slip the hogs of war!
TommyHotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
Krypt Keeper
Kneedragger

Moto: CBR1100XX, Daytona 600

My wife and myself are also looking at doing the same for a English Bulldog.

One of the few things I can only add if that some places will have an inspection of your house and yard before moving forward.

Just to make sure you don't wanna be a Micheal Vick or anything.

Last edited by Krypt Keeper; 07-27-2009 at 08:01 PM..
Krypt Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHotWheel View Post
My wife and I are looking into rescuing a Great Dane, anyone have hints or other help with what to be looking for and expect? We have a huge yard, huge house, lots of play area, 3 kids(sometimes...sometimes 7) a cat and a Min Pin for her to play with. She is four and a half months old shots up to date and I think she is spayed...not positive on that. I love Danes and have wanted one for a long time, loved to take my buddy's dogs when he would go out of town. Thanks all.
If you go to your local Pet Smart, they will actually give you the names of local rescue groups.

It's like adopting a kid: you'll have to prove you aren't the Michael Vick type!

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Not a big Vick supporter, he is just up the road from me tho, was waiting to see if PETA would try to block him getting new dogs or his career. I have been dealing with the local Great Dane Rescue of the Commonwealth and a rescue out of North Carolina. I was just looking to see if anyone had a Dane and what kind of traits or habits to look for. I know the Danes I watched thought they were much smaller than they were and were very loving, protective and playful dogs. Wondered about joint problems, blindness, deafness or other health issues.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quoted from GDCA.org

Quote:
The most negative aspect of the breed is a short life span, typically about 7 to 10 years. Great Danes are predisposed to certain health problems such as gastric torsion (bloat), certain types of cancer, and heart problems. Puppies and young adults can develop certain growing or bone problems which are sometimes associated with an improper diet, often a diet too high in protein, calcium or supplements. Occasionally, Great Danes can be aggressive with livestock or may not get along with other animals in the household. Older adult males can be prone to prostate infections and adult bitches to false pregnancies and uterine infections. Spaying or neutering pets is a good idea for the health of the dog and is required by most ethical breeders.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Great danes are an awesome breed. Big things to remember, until they reach a year or so of age, they should not be subjected to alot of strenuous physical activity, due to their rapid growth rate, it could cause damage to joints and bones. Also, their large size is a misnomer, they are meant to be indoor dogs and do better as a house dog than a yard dog.

I've wanted one for years myself, this was just some info I found out when I was looking.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

Danes are awesome dogs! We had 3 as I was growing up and I love them. The biggest drawback to a Great Dane is they will eat you out of house and home My folks had one male that was 36in at the shoulder and 165 lbs. He ate 50lbs of dry food every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks plus ALL the table scraps and he wasn't over weight a bit.

The plus is that they are great with kids and usually any other pets and are very protective of thier "family". You will never have to worry about someone breaking into your house if the dog is inside, trust me They are not hyper even as pups but they are playful and they get big fast so you have to watch the kids around the pup until it matures. Ours as adults were actually very gentle around kids that were around.

You will have to be careful when the dog matures when you invite guests over. My dad had to hold our house Danes by the collar when someone new came over and let them sniff the guest for a minute then the dog would usually ignore them but watch them.

They do have a short life span so youhave to be able to deal with the loss. The oldest one we had lived to a little over 10 yrs and the big male only lived to 8 I think.

I'd have one myself if I could afford to feed it though, they really are my favorite dog.

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Thanks guys, everyone wants me to pick her up, so I think we will start asap. I appreciate the help.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:52 PM   #9
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Make sure to post pics!!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #10
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Please just don't name it "Marmaduke" A childhood friend had one and it was a GREAT dog! We had a St Bernard/Wolf mix and they would play for hours!!! We'd take them both for walks and clear the entire street!!! Dave is right, NOBODY is breaking into your house or fucking with your kids if the dog is around, period!!! Good luck! I wish that I had space for a big dog like that!!!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote