Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #81
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
Sometimes a weapon that has not been cleaned can be a good deal. But you have to know what to look for. If someone has shot lead bullets ( not jacketed ) it will look nasty but will clean up nice. It is a good amount of work to clean the lead out.
Yep, that's how I got a now perfectly functioning and very accurate JC Higgins Model 31 for $50 cash-n-carry.
There was some light surface rust on the barrel and it had a sign on it saying "broken extractor" or somesuch.
I took it home, broke it down, and cleaned it inside & out.
Then I took it out for a test session at the range.
Lo & behold... no problems cycling ammo
Old 01-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #82
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

When I worked at the gun shop, a guy came in and traded in a ruger super blackhawk in .44 mag that looked rough.

He said "I keep it on my tractor for shooting groundhogs"

We weren't sure if there was any rifling in the barrel so he didn't get too much on trade in.

The owner liked it and took it home and scrubbed it with hoppes & brass brushes for over week. Finally got the bore clean and it shot great.
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:36 AM   #83
CasterTroy

Quote:
Whe

He said "I keep it on my tractor for shooting groundhogs"
Holy crap! Overkill much?
Old 01-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #84
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Trustworthy dealers. Some will pass their mistakes in purchasing onto unknowing buyers.

Sometimes a weapon that has not been cleaned can be a good deal. But you have to know what to look for. If someone has shot lead bullets ( not jacketed ) it will look nasty but will clean up nice. It is a good amount of work to clean the lead out.

With revolvers, excessive chmber pressures will make the cylinder loose, contribute to gas etching on the top strap above the cylinder where it meets the barrel. The forcing cone will be worn.

Loose slides and worn throats ( where the bullet jumps from the case to the barrel ) are a couple of signs.

It depends on the firearm. Rimfire and shotguns should never be dryfired unless you have a spent cartridge or snapcaps in the chamber.

Almost all centerfire pistols and rifles can be dry fired without damage. In fact, it is recommended that military firearms be stored with the firing pin released ( obviously if it's loaded, do NOT pull the trigger to store it )
If you're that paranoid you can get a new Glock barrel for $140. And my point was, you could bring the gun to any dealer prior to purchase and they can look at it for you. That is, if the seller was willing to meet you at a shop to have the gun looked at. My guess is, if they are willing to have a professional look at it, they are not trying to hide anything.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #85
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
The dude must have had a serious hatred of groundhogs.

JC
Old 01-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #86
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
Never start a battle that you aren't willing to finish.
...preferably to component atoms.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #87
Twobanger
Canyon Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
If you're that paranoid you can get a new Glock barrel for $140. And my point was, you could bring the gun to any dealer prior to purchase and they can look at it for you. That is, if the seller was willing to meet you at a shop to have the gun looked at. My guess is, if they are willing to have a professional look at it, they are not trying to hide anything.
The guy might have read the Internet stories of Glock 22's exploding and decided to get rid of it before losing some fingers . Google Image: Glock 22 kaboom
Twobanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #88
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobanger View Post
The guy might have read the Internet stories of Glock 22's exploding and decided to get rid of it before losing some fingers . Google Image: Glock 22 kaboom
I friend of mine is a DEA agent and has put 10K rounds through his G23 and has NEVER had an issue with it. I think I can trust Glock to be reliable.

Last edited by Rider; 01-19-2010 at 11:43 AM..
Old 01-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #89
Twobanger
Canyon Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I friend of mine is a DEA agent and has put 10K rounds through his G23 and has NEVER had an issue with it. I think I cant trust Glock to be reliable.
Glock is a good weapon; I'm partial to hammer fired pistols so I own H&K.

Before I decided on the M&P for USPSA use I was going to get a Glock 17 for that purpose. If you join the GSSF you get the LE discount once every 12 months so for not much more than 400 you can get a new gun.
Twobanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #90
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobanger View Post
Glock is a good weapon; I'm partial to hammer fired pistols so I own H&K.

Before I decided on the M&P for USPSA use I was going to get a Glock 17 for that purpose. If you join the GSSF you get the LE discount once every 12 months so for not much more than 400 you can get a new gun.
I owned an H&K(USP 40) for a few years and sold it a couple of years ago because I never used it. I don't have a CCW and I never took it to the range. I loved how the M&P felt in my hand and I was more accurate with it than the Glock but I don't know much about the S&W reliability and I know with some range time I can be accurate with the Glock. I do intend on getting my CCW so hammers, external safeties and de-cockers are only going to get in the way if I need it unholster it in a hurry.