Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 12-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #31
tlstreak
As Seen On TV

Moto: 01 929

Our company gave Dodge a chance . We bought 2 trucks for each location in our region. They were to replace 5-8 year old 200,000 mile trucks and vans.

Both dodges are already sold, with massive amounts of down time due to transmission issues, fuel pump, injectors, and a shit load of other issues, and high ass maint. cost that the dealers could not even get right.

So we kept the 200,000 + trucks and sold the Dodge's both under 60k and both had to be towed off the lot.

Ford has proven it self to me over and over with a good running depedable body and motor, with some of the lowest maint costs ive seen. Its entire line up of trucks and vans are more cost effective than anything else out there for long term use, and efficency.
tlstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #32
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlstreak View Post
Our company gave Dodge a chance . We bought 2 trucks for each location in our region. They were to replace 5-8 year old 200,000 mile trucks and vans.

Both dodges are already sold, with massive amounts of down time due to transmission issues, fuel pump, injectors, and a shit load of other issues, and high ass maint. cost that the dealers could not even get right.

So we kept the 200,000 + trucks and sold the Dodge's both under 60k and both had to be towed off the lot.

Ford has proven it self to me over and over with a good running depedable body and motor, with some of the lowest maint costs ive seen. Its entire line up of trucks and vans are more cost effective than anything else out there for long term use, and efficency.
I also work for a company the uses trucks to do service and my first hand experience has been negative with respect to Ford. We had always used GMC trucks for apparently decades but my boss decided to buy two Ford F-250s V10 flatbeds,primarily because of their lower price point. Last I knew, both trucks were experiencing problems with brakes,transmissions and my truck had several small but irritating electrical issues. but in my experience,there isn't a any auto manufacturer that doesn't have stories like yours and mine.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #33
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
it's not this site... if you look... it says the user who uploaded the video's disabled embedding.

yeah I missed the space the first time
yeah, also appears that now top gear has a youtube account theyve had all third party version removed. and what i meant about this site was i cant just post the link and have a link show up. it automatically embeds the fucker
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #34
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I understand the first video, as it relays just how flexable the frame is... and how well the suspension does it's job...

but the others I do have a little issue with... especially the second and third ones.

the second can be almost completely elimenated by loading your trailer correctly... and by not letting off the throttle as the semi goes by... or... by just accelorating after the semi goes by...

so what's that test prove? that Fords are better for people who need to learn about towing things proberly? for people who often carry unsafe loads?

don't get me wrong... the technology is great... but again... wouldn't be that big a deal if it was just properly loaded.

the 3rd video is just stupid... so great... you can haul a heavier load with the ford at higher speeds... just what we need. This has to do with frame ridgity... so basicly it's a 2nd test proving what the first did... ford has a fully boxed frame that's quite stiff...

the 4th video, I'm just intrested how much of the human factor came in to play... given they were stoping and going... and you have humans driving so how do you get relative data? also it says 38m... that's great... but what does it mean? 38 mins at what speed? a lower speed would relate to maybe .5 or 1 mpg more... which is where I think this ended up or they'd have said... we went 3 miles further than the dodge... ect.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #35
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

I quit watching after the second video. Here's why:

I mean, shit, they damn near took the side mirrors off the Chevy. That's hardly what I'd call an impartial test.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:25 PM   #36
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

That said, I like that guy from "Dirty Jobs." He's a funny motherfucker.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:21 PM   #37
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
That said, I like that guy from "Dirty Jobs." He's a funny motherfucker.

Smoke and mirrors baby! Like I said they all have videos that PROVE their truck is the best,toughest,etc.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:00 PM   #38
RCM78
Slow Poke

Moto: '05 R1

Well, I have an '04 Dodge Ram quad cab 4X4. Previous truck was an '02 Dodge Ram Quad cab 2wd. Some of the stuff they say in the vids is true. When the truck is empty and it hit a bump in a turn the back end will jump. Also, When pushing the truck in the twisty's(from summit point back to the hotel) the front end pushes bad. The 2wd truck handled better then the 4wd truck. But they did have different engines. The 2wd had the 4.7 and the 4wd has the 5.7 hemi. So the first truck had alot less weight on the front end.

Towing, and driving with a load I've never had an issue with. I've had two bikes in the bed many times and I tend to drive fast. I havent had any issues with bodyroll on either of my trucks. Towing has been trouble free too. Both trailers I've owned have towed straight even in high winds and while passing semi's. My old triler was a 7X16 dual axle enclosed with brakes. My current trailer is a 6X12 single axle enclosed without brakes.

Granted the old trailer was more steady, but the new trailer is easy to control even if it does start to wag a bit.

The WORST truck I've ever driven with a trailer was a Nissan Titan. We've taken both my trailers from NJ to shitville three times in my buddies Titan. That truck just plain sucks at keeping a trailer steady. You have to constantly load the steering wheel one way or the other to keep the trailer straight. It's actually fine in long turns but when the road is straight that truck floats around and the trailer starts to wag...Maybe it's just his truck. It feels like alot of play in the steering is the peoblem. I've told him to have it looked at but he says I just dont like his truck. Thats not true. I like the Titan. But it tows like shit!!!
TPM Coach #71 http://www.teampromotion.com
RCM78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:24 PM   #39
Cass
Cassolicious!

Moto: SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakel View Post
I love my F150
Me 3 But I still want a little car to go with it in the garage. Bike, car, truck. What more could a girl need??
Old 12-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #40
James
aka Reyn

Moto: General Lee Bigwheel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Notice that Ford conveniently left out the Nissan Titan.
that's what I was thinking...

When I was truck shopping, I drove all the full size trucks (except Dodge) and liked the Titan over the rest - by far. This was 4 yrs ago, so who knows how they stack up now. Hell my Titan doesn't even have 35k miles yet lol
James is offline   Reply With Quote