Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #61
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

The Walther P22 is a peice of shit, stay away from it. I bought one for my wife thinking it had a lot of cool features and could be concealed. First off, you have to fire the hottest 22's you can find. Then, the magazine release is retarded and even seasoned professionals were dropping the mag with their regular trigger pull. The damn thing had at least three to five misfires, stovepipes or other malfunctions each magazine. That's ten rounds, people. And to top it all off, after only a hundred frustrating rounds the weapon broke! There is a spring pin under the slide-mounted safety which began to protrude from the left side, eventually so far out that you couldn't safety the weapon! What a peice of shit, and I tell this story as a warning to everybody who mentions them. I returned it the next day and got a Ruger Mk II 22/45 that we've never had a problem with.

For a woman's carry gun I'd recommend a small frame .357 loaded with 38spcls. If that doesn't work, go with a Kahr or a Kel-Tec in .380, you'll still get the job done but it'll be small enough and manageable enough that she won't be scared of it. For purse carry a slightly bigger but much better option is a SIG P229 is 40 short and weak. I make fun of the round but I carry one, and my wife loves it. Kind of have to go with a purse though, as it doesn't fit under the tight clothes she wears.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #62
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
The Walther P22 is a peice of shit, stay away from it. I bought one for my wife thinking it had a lot of cool features and could be concealed. First off, you have to fire the hottest 22's you can find. Then, the magazine release is retarded and even seasoned professionals were dropping the mag with their regular trigger pull. The damn thing had at least three to five misfires, stovepipes or other malfunctions each magazine. That's ten rounds, people. And to top it all off, after only a hundred frustrating rounds the weapon broke! There is a spring pin under the slide-mounted safety which began to protrude from the left side, eventually so far out that you couldn't safety the weapon! What a peice of shit, and I tell this story as a warning to everybody who mentions them. I returned it the next day and got a Ruger Mk II 22/45 that we've never had a problem with.

For a woman's carry gun I'd recommend a small frame .357 loaded with 38spcls. If that doesn't work, go with a Kahr or a Kel-Tec in .380, you'll still get the job done but it'll be small enough and manageable enough that she won't be scared of it. For purse carry a slightly bigger but much better option is a SIG P229 is 40 short and weak. I make fun of the round but I carry one, and my wife loves it. Kind of have to go with a purse though, as it doesn't fit under the tight clothes she wears.
This is interesting, I have never had any difficulty with either of the two we have and have collectively around 15 thousand rounds thru them, with at Least 10 thousands rounds beign surpessed. A friend of mine who also uses his with a supressor has had no difficulty either . Localy at the range they are quickly replacing the Rugers Kept them clean and have had No problemes what so ever. I would agree that the mag release is odd but got used to it quickly. I like my 22/45 as well but is find it is a heavy for regular carry.
As far as a 22 for defense goes I will quote Elmer Keith "Beats the hell out of your fingernails" That said I would agree a 38 double action revolver would be my first choice. VERY hard to jam Exceptionaly easy to use. A bit slow on the reload but realisticly if you can't finnish up with 5 38s you may need a rifle not a reload
nhgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #63
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgunnut View Post
This is interesting, I have never had any difficulty with either of the two we have and have collectively around 15 thousand rounds thru them, with at Least 10 thousands rounds beign surpessed. A friend of mine who also uses his with a supressor has had no difficulty either . Localy at the range they are quickly replacing the Rugers Kept them clean and have had No problemes what so ever. I would agree that the mag release is odd but got used to it quickly. I like my 22/45 as well but is find it is a heavy for regular carry.
As far as a 22 for defense goes I will quote Elmer Keith "Beats the hell out of your fingernails" That said I would agree a 38 double action revolver would be my first choice. VERY hard to jam Exceptionaly easy to use. A bit slow on the reload but realisticly if you can't finnish up with 5 38s you may need a rifle not a reload
Count your luck because there are way too many dissatisfied P22 owners. The same with that SIG Mosquito and the abortion that was SIG Trailside.

These guns are pot metal cheap guns that are made to look cool and resemble their larger brethens.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #64
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I guess that would require a chamois thigh holster and smallish wheelgun, to not clash.
Or in the case of Rae, a vintage Galco garter holster with a Beretta Bobcat (nickel plated and engraved).

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #65
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Count your luck because there are way too many dissatisfied P22 owners. The same with that SIG Mosquito and the abortion that was SIG Trailside.

These guns are pot metal cheap guns that are made to look cool and resemble their larger brethens.
Just to satisfy my curiosity, was you experience with the P22's with the German Walther's or the ones made (assembled) by S&W I checked with the folks who I know have them here (most of us run them suppressed using either Remington or Federal Sub-Sonic) We are all running the German made threaded barrel units. The other thing that might be adding to our success is our cleaning habits because suppressed weapon get so dirty so quickly we are all used to thoroughly cleaning them. ( I have found the Remington ammo fouls the action very quickly) Again this is not to dispute anyone else's experience merely to find what has contributed to my success with this little handgun. Cause as a rule lucky I aint
nhgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #66
FuryThree
Now sans Quattro!

Moto: 2008 Triumph Daytona 675

I think im a little late on this one, but I would never carry a .22lr there are plenty of other more effective concealable handguns. Take her to the range and rent a few. a good 9mm or .380 would be far more effective, while not as light on recoil as a .22, they are still pretty tame. Depending on how much you want to do, you might consider a small revolver in .38 or something like that, simple, effective and reliable.
FuryThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #67
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
Why do the smaller rounds have such a stigma of being "ineffective" ?

For military and tactical purposes, I would agree: the bigger the round, the better. The more force delivered, the faster the target is neutralized, and fewer rounds are required per target. Ammunition can be used more efficiently.

That said, for someone like my wife defending herself against a would-be mugger/rapist, do you really think the aggressor will continue his attempt to mug/rape after taking even a .22lr round to the face or chest? How about six, seven, or more .22lr rounds to the face or chest..?

When you pull a gun to defend yourself, you NEVER shoot to wound.
Wounded assailants can sue you and have more rights than victims in many situations.
You only draw the gun if you have no other course of action and when you shoot, you shoot to stop them permanently.
A .22LR can kill someone, several of them ups the chance, but for a decisive move, you need something with more penetration and greater energy.

Last edited by Adeptus_Minor; 01-05-2009 at 11:23 AM..
Adeptus_Minor is offline   Reply With Quote