Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #11
Curb
resident gimp

Moto: a big ole steamin pile of nothin

i just flew into and out of white plains airport a couple weeks ago...very smooth getting in and out. the only problem i encountered was on my connection to NY out of Charlotte. a flap on the nose of the plane wouldn't close and after about 20 minutes they just swapped planes and as we were boarding the second plane the they got the flap locked down...no biggie in my book...eventhough the whole transfer took about 40 minutes we wound up less than 10 minutes late from the scheduled arrival time.

Political correctness is killing this country
Curb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #12
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
The problem was was solved by the FAA in the first article

"Every indication since DFW was put under a microscope is that it is running a clean operation," said Martin, the FAA spokesman"

and

"Most controllers involved in the errors were sent for retraining. In addition, some managers are on probation and a quality-assurance manager was reassigned."

The managers at DFW were not supervising their people, bottom line. Your first post in this thread cited lower inspection standards, the economy and president Bush as the possible reason's. All which are untrue and not mentioned in either of the articles you posted.

In the second article, it was one manager that was not following through with required inspections. As soon and the FAA got wind of it they rectified the problem. There are always going to be somebody someplace that doesn't do their job. Inspections can be pencil whipped unfortunately. Lazyness is a human quality that should not be tolerated especially when it comes to safety, but you can't force people to do the right thing every minute of the day. When you catch them skipping routine inspections, you fire their ass. The only way to really solve the problem is to have 2 people perform all inspections. But again there is no guarantee that it actually gets done. At some point you have to have trust in people. When they break that trust you put them out on their ass.

My point is, there is an effort to make flying safer, but just like any job there will be those that don't perform the job as they were hired to do. Do all the people you work with put 100% effort into every work day? I doubt it.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

<--- sensing a nerve has been touched considering the reaction to my comment alluding to the fact that inspectors ARE doing their jobs... hmmm....

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #14
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
<--- sensing a nerve has been touched considering the reaction to my comment alluding to the fact that inspectors ARE doing their jobs... hmmm....
Nope not at all. It was nothing you said. I just don't subscribe the the "conspiracy theory" that Homeslice was alluding to in his first post. I think flying is just as safe as ever and I would not hesitate to fly ANY airline in the US. Now over in China or Russia is a different story. They don't have the safety regulation we have here and those airlines/manufacturers are not allowed to operate in the US.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote