Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-13-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150
Default any 911 operators?

I'm considering a career change but want some real life input. I'm not a panic person, I'm calm and in control 100% of the time in stressful situations. The pay is considerably less than what I've made in the past but it still better than the unemployment check I'm getting....

upsides? Downsides?

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
JARVIS518
BOOBS!!

Moto: 06 CBR 600RR

my grandmother was for a short time peroid a few months ago and i can ask her about it for ya
JARVIS518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:35 AM   #3
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Each state have different setups, if I'm not mistaken. Although I wasn't a 911operator, I worked closely with them and had some of the same guidelines and more rigid protocols and procedures, although slightly different.

The work itself isn't hard, however it can be very stressing. When you first start, it may seem daunting. But you'll learn how to handle every situation that will arise, the procedues...how to prioritize, etc. Once you've been there awhile and get use to it, you learn how to cope and manage.

Even working for a central station, I've been the one who's taken the heart attack/stroke calls, the real fire calls (and watched the signals from their system go off as the fire rolls through the house). I've been on the phone with frightened people when their doors or windows have been busted by an intruder. I've even handled one where an older lady's door had been broken, called the police and they went out. They checked her home to make sure it was safe. Apparently they missed as the crackhead had hidden well in a guest bathroom to later woke up her with a knife at her throat. She had a panic button she managed to get to as she was struggling. Thank GOD a unit got there in time before he hurt her too bad.

Be prepared for bullshit from non emergency calls to excessive alarm dispatch because a system freaked out. But also be prepared for the real shit. It's been in my experience that most real calls are during the night and the bullshit calls are typically during the day. It's a thankless job for the most part.

I'm trying to get on at our 911 communications center here too. Good luck if you decide to take the job!

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:44 AM   #4
cbrchick
Canyon Carver

Moto: Honda CBR 600, Yamaha Zuma 50, Suzuki SV1000

Well.. I'm not one, I just get the other side of the phone calls.

Upsides:

You get to sit There's no blood/body fluids involved. You'll be doing a great service to people. You'll get some funny calls. You can't smell the people you have to help. It's a pay check with some interesting training I imagine. You'll learn some medical info.... You'd most likely have all the info in front of you....

Downsides:

You'll have to deal with the general public, and they aren't all that bright. You have to sit for long periods of time. You'll have to talk to drunks/drug addicts. You'll have to think when other's can't and try to keep them calm. You might never find out what happens to some seriously sick people and that can weigh on your thoughts. There's not going to be closure in a lot of situations. It'll be stressful....

But you learn to deal.

When you tell people what you do, they'll be interested and appreciative even if you wont get that impression when you are doing your job.
cbrchick is offline   Reply With Quote