Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500
Default Thanksgiving Day disasters

Everybody has their favorite food and memory of the holidays. What went wrong that stands out?

I'll start.

My late grandmother was an excellent cook. One thanksgiving many years ago, the entire family was over at my grandparents. Her brothers and sister, my dad and family, my aunt and family and a few close friends. Probably close to 30 people.

My grandmother made her pound cake which was usually excellent........ but something went terribly wrong. It was extremely dense and went THUD when it was tapped with a knife handle.

Her brother, my Great Uncle Welly had the pound cake in front of him and was thumping it with his knife handle. He yelled out ( in Penna German )
" I'm going to need a sharper knife to cut this cake. Hey Ezra, (my grandfather ) Go out to the barn and get me an axe"

My grandmother was so embarrassed she grabbed the cake and threw it outside to the dog. The dog carried it around for a bit and then he BURIED IT

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

My brother and my SIL had their first married Tgiving at my parents house. SIL insisted on cooking and well, it didn't go perfect - bird burnt like charcoal on the outside, and raw on the inside (complete with parts bag and neck still inside).

Mom and dad to the rescue, and we had a kickass BBQ instead.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

I went to visit my friend English Bob and his wife for Thanksgiving in Pasadena.

Bob loves to cook, and knows more about cooking than anyone I know. He also loves Thanksgiving, which is odd for a Brit. He say he likes it because England was so much better after all the Puritans left, but considering the fact that he lives in California, I suspect he just likes to eat. Bob is not a small man.

That year, Bob had decided on a duck instead of a turkey. We had also decided on Scotch instead of beer, so by time the duck was ready, we were fairly shit faced.

The thing about ducks, is they are very fatty. Lots of grease. Lots and lots of grease. So much grease, that when he pulled it from the oven, it flew off of the pan, and skidded about eight feet across the floor towards me.

That should have been the end of it. Unfortunately, it was at that very moment that the reflexes I had developed after many years of pouring quarters into Foosball tables came into play. I did what any goalie would do. I kicked it back at him. Hard. Harder than needed. Too hard.

Bob was not ready. I can't say I blame him. What kind of person kicks a greasy duck across a floor? How do you plan for that?

The duck slid past Bob. It slid past Bob's wife. It slid past a watercooler, four chairs and a table, and plowed into the kitchen wall like a wet, well, like a wet greasy duck (sorry, couldn't think of an apt metaphor).

We ate it anyway.

Bob has never forgiven me.

JC
Old 11-25-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Three years ago we went to Missouri for Thanksgiving to spend it with my in laws. My mother in law and I got into a screaming match outside the house about....what was it again....oh that's right, a family picture.

Good times.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

The closest I can come is when I was deployed and right as I was sitting down to my thanksgiving food (which was the same as the day before's food except I could have more) a deicer buried it's rear tire and we had to go dig it out. So they threw my food away and I was covered in a mud glycol sludge.